Claire's book list 2011

chesilbeach

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you

Well, this may be a bit controversial, but I was disappointed by Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it, but I felt the first three books had got progressively better, and I was so excited waiting for the fourth installment, but ultimately, I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as Prisoner of Azkaban. I thought it was too long and a bit flabby, and I think some of the characters (particularly Sirius) weren't written as well as they'd been previously. Like I said, I still like it, but I can't deny I was disappointed after nipping out at midnight to get my copy and setting aside the whole day to read it (so I couldn't find out any spoilers, more than any other reason) that I just felt it didn't live up to the standards of the previous books.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished my second collection of short stories by Ali Smith, Other Stories and other stories. She writes exceptionally well in the short form, perfectly encapsulating the characters and the story, and so beautifully expressing emotion. Another wonderful read. :smile2:

Day 18 – A book that disappointed you

Well, this may be a bit controversial, but I was disappointed by Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Don't get me wrong, I still liked it, but I felt the first three books had got progressively better, and I was so excited waiting for the fourth installment, but ultimately, I didn't think it was anywhere near as good as Prisoner of Azkaban. I thought it was too long and a bit flabby, and I think some of the characters (particularly Sirius) weren't written as well as they'd been previously. Like I said, I still like it, but I can't deny I was disappointed after nipping out at midnight to get my copy and setting aside the whole day to read it (so I couldn't find out any spoilers, more than any other reason) that I just felt it didn't live up to the standards of the previous books.

I quite liked 'The Goblet of Fire' .. in fact the graveyard scene sticks in my mind as one of the best bits in any Potter book, it was the next book that I had problems with 'The Order of the Phoenix' but in general, after Azkaban, they did start getting a lot fatter and I felt some of it was padding and needed editing out .. but strangely she never asked my advice :lol:

I quite liked 'The Goblet of Fire' .. in fact the graveyard scene sticks in my mind as one of the best bits in any Potter book, it was the next book that I had problems with 'The Order of the Phoenix' but in general, after Azkaban, they did start getting a lot fatter and I felt some of it was padding and needed editing out .. but strangely she never asked my advice :lol:

I still enjoy listening to Stephen Fry read it to me, but I thought Sirius changed a lot, it felt overblown, and disappointing after waiting for quite a while for it. OotP was worse again, and I actually have to skip through the chapters with Hagrid recounting his journey to find the giants in that book which I find dull, even with the dulcet tones of Mr Fry reading them!

That's a shame, Claire! Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire is one of my favourite Harrry Potter books. I love the whole Triwizard tournament but was very disappointed with the movie in that they extended the dragon section and spent next to no time in the maze. I think I'm rather in the minority that I really enjoyed Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, although I'll admit that Harry's whining was incredibly annoying.

I, too, think the later books could have done with a bit of editing. I read somewhere that, because there was so much secrecy around the books, there were multiple editors working on the books and they were only allowed to read one page (or at least, they weren't allowed to read continuous pages). This makes no sense for an editor because you obviously can't check for continuity and structure, which explains why the books are so fat!

I also love Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, especially the time-turning part, which I think was done brilliantly in the movie. :)

I think Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fireis probably my favourite as I liked the build up to the Tri-Wizards tornament and having the other schools visiting was a nice break from the norm. I got bored with Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix I don't know if its because the size of the book or the massive build up to its release and the mystery around which "major" character was going to die. To be honest if the books were re-written without Sirius I wouldn't even notice that he wasn't there. I do kind of wish she had written all the books before the films were made as I do feel they started to influence her writting a bit too much in the last 3 books.

Edited by Easy Reader

I, too, think the later books could have done with a bit of editing. I read somewhere that, because there was so much secrecy around the books, there were multiple editors working on the books and they were only allowed to read one page (or at least, they weren't allowed to read continuous pages). This makes no sense for an editor because you obviously can't check for continuity and structure, which explains why the books are so fat!

Blasphemy! I love my Harry best when he's the fattest.

You didn't get even a little bit sick of all the camping in the last book?

Yes I did but sshhhh!!

(Although for me, the first 100 pages of Order of the Phoenix were much more tiresome than the camping bits.)

Edited by frankie

Day 20 – Favourite romance book

So many to choose from! When chick lit was first bandied about as a new genre of books, I was in my twenties, and I can't deny, I went a bit overboard, indulging myself on the literary equivalent of movie romcoms. This means I've read far more than my fair share of romantic books, so I have a vast back catalogue to trawl through my memories for. Having said that, there are a few books that really stuck with me over the years, and I think my favourite has to be Going La La by Alexandra Potter. Great fun, with an ordinary girl as a heroine, a fish out of water storyline, leading to not only finding Mr Right, but also finding a more fulfilling career and way of life. I've re-read it quite a few times, and I still find it entertaining now, which I think is quite an achievement, as I've found others I've revisited have felt dated. (Unfortunately, she changed publishers after her first few books, and you can't get them new any more. What's New, Pussycat? was her first book, and it was a close run thing between the two of them, but ultimately, the hero on Going La La plays the piano, and that's what made me lose my heart to him, so this one came up top of the list!)

Day 20 – Favourite romance book

So many to choose from! When chick lit was first bandied about as a new genre of books, I was in my twenties, and I can't deny, I went a bit overboard, indulging myself on the literary equivalent of movie romcoms. This means I've read far more than my fair share of romantic books, so I have a vast back catalogue to trawl through my memories for. Having said that, there are a few books that really stuck with me over the years, and I think my favourite has to be Going La La by Alexandra Potter. Great fun, with an ordinary girl as a heroine, a fish out of water storyline, leading to not only finding Mr Right, but also finding a more fulfilling career and way of life. I've re-read it quite a few times, and I still find it entertaining now, which I think is quite an achievement, as I've found others I've revisited have felt dated. (Unfortunately, she changed publishers after her first few books, and you can't get them new any more. What's New, Pussycat? was her first book, and it was a close run thing between the two of them, but ultimately, the hero on Going La La plays the piano, and that's what made me lose my heart to him, so this one came up top of the list!)

Great choice Chesil :)

Day 19 – Favourite book turned into a movie

Has to be A Room With A View. Unusually, I saw the film before I read the book, but I love both equally - both are sparkling gems!

This is one of my favorite movies. I just love the story, and all the characters. Julian Sands isn't bad to look at either. :giggle:

This is one of my favorite movies. I just love the story, and all the characters. Julian Sands isn't bad to look at either. :giggle:

:lol: It's in my top three films ever! I love the actors, I love the script, I love the setting (I was so thrilled when we actually visited Florence and I was able to see all the places for real), I love the Puccini arias ... oh, I just love it all!

Oops, missed a day yesterday, so two questions with answers from me today ...

Day 21 – Favourite book from your childhood

This has to be Mr Tickle by Roger Hargreaves. I loved the Mr Men books when I was little, and remember that when I was off school poorly, I could spend a whole day reading the lot of them to cheer myself up. But Mr Tickle is definitely my favourite, just because I was (and still am) incredibly ticklish - just a waggle of my Dad's fingers from the other side of the room could make me scream at the thought of being tickled - so this book was part delight, part horror!

Day 22 – Favourite book you own

I assuming this question is about the physical entity of the book rather than just a favourite book, but I must be a bit strange in that I don't really covet my books as objects. I love the contents, and I think that as a collection on the shelves, they look wonderful, but individual books don't really mean that much to me. I guess the only book that I can single out is my signed copy of First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde, so I'm going to choose that one as my favourite book I own.

The Jewel Box is the second Anna Davis book I've read, and was as much of a delight as the first. Set in 1920s London, Grace is the older of the Rutherford sisters, and after the death of both her father and her sisters husband, she has taken on responsibility for the household for her mother Catherine, her sister Nancy and Nancy's two young children, Tilly and Felix. Not only is she a copywriter for an advertising company, she also moonlights as a society columnist, known only as Diamond Sharp, charming readers with her witty commentary on society and the London flapper scene. When she catches the eye of a flirtatious American author, they embark on a passionate affair, but she soon finds herself also drawn to her neighbour, another American, and is caught between the two men, who themselves have a shared past.

Davis's books are marketed firmly in the chick-lit arena, but I've found both to be much more that just light-hearted romantic comedies. This one looks at womens lives in the 1920s, post-Suffrage but still a male dominated society, and Grace is not only an educated working woman, but is also employed in the male worlds of advertising and journalism. (In fact, in the afterword, Davis explains that had Grace really been a columnist at this time, she would have been a pioneer, although there are instance of earlier female writers, but there were none in London at this time).

What I find refreshing, however, is that she manages to write about the issues and lives of women of the time without preaching or judgement, and weaves it effortlessly into the story so that you almost don't realise you've learned something about the society of the era. Therefore, you still get the charming romance between Grace and O'Connell, along with the sparkling, witty columns of Diamond Sharp, and a cracking good story along the way.

Delicious! :smile2:

Edited by chesilbeach

Day 23 – A book you wanted to read for a long time but still haven’t

I have had Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks on my TBR list for the longest time. Everyone I know who has read it says it's the most incredible book, and I really want to read it, but for some reason, I never actually pick it up. I can see it on the shelf, egging me on to read it even now, and I'm sure I'll get to it at some point, but still haven't read it yet!

Oh do read Birdsong, it is such a lovely book, so incredibly moving, I have just downloaded the audiobook onto my phone (all 15 hours of it) as really don't have time for a re read but can listen while doing the housework and gardening.

Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read

I have to pick Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith. (I can't remember if I've picked this before for another answer, but I'm guessing I probably have, so apologies if I'm repeating myself). I would love to hear reactions from other people after reading this book, but I've yet to know anyone who has read it. When I finished this book, I had tears in my eyes, yet contrasted with a huge smile, and I think (like the Grinch) my heart actually swelled with joy. I can't think of a book where I've had such an emotional reaction to finishing the story, and I would love others to read it so that I can find out if it's just me that was affected this way!

Day 24 – A book that you wish more people would’ve read

I have to pick Girl Meets Boy by Ali Smith. (I can't remember if I've picked this before for another answer, but I'm guessing I probably have, so apologies if I'm repeating myself). I would love to hear reactions from other people after reading this book, but I've yet to know anyone who has read it. When I finished this book, I had tears in my eyes, yet contrasted with a huge smile, and I think (like the Grinch) my heart actually swelled with joy. I can't think of a book where I've had such an emotional reaction to finishing the story, and I would love others to read it so that I can find out if it's just me that was affected this way!

Well you'd already convinced me Claire, I went out and bought it :D

Day 25 – A character who you can relate to the most

I'm going to go back to my childhood again, and pick George from the Famous Five books. Like George, I'm an only child and I was a bit of a tomboy, but also, I always thought George was determined, and single minded, but often made mistakes and was a bit reluctant to admit when she was wrong, and finally was completely loyal to the those she loved, and I hope that that is one of my own traits.

Felt like I needed a supernatural fix yesterday, so I downloaded, and then read, Some Girls Bite by Chloe Neill. This is the first in the Chicagoland Vampires series, about Merit, an English Literature graduate student who is attacked one night on the way home from college and in order to save her life, the Master of the Cadogan house turns her into a vampire. However, having already once turned her back on the society lifestyle of her mortal family, she now has to contend with the strict hierarchy and servitude of the vampire community. But why was she attacked in the first place and who was responsible?

I sometimes wonder if I'll ever find a vampire series that is the one that breaks the camels back, as I seem to read so many, and while some are entertaining and fun, others seem to just be one more jumping on the bandwagon. While I don't think this was anything particularly groundbreaking, I loved Merit and her best friend Mallory, and the cast of characters we meet. Because it's the first book in a series, there's bound to be a lot of time spent introducing the characters, and laying the foundations for where the story may take us in the future, but there is still an enough of a story to keep me interested, Good fun, feisty heroine, sexy vampires, and I enjoyed it. One for fans of the Sookie Stackhouse series to try, I would say.