Posted Images

I received some books in the mail yesterday:

Stephen Fry: The Ode Less Travelled

Simon Pegg: Nerd Do Well

Walter Tevis: Mockingbird

Carl-Johan Vallgren: The Horrific Sufferings of Hercules Barefoot

I expect a lot more in the coming days. :D

I picked this up a while back thinking it looked interesting, but haven't got around too it yet.

Any news on the application, Kylie? :smile2:

I received some books in the mail yesterday:

Simon Pegg: Nerd Do Well

Walter Tevis: Mockingbird

Carl-Johan Vallgren: The Horrific Sufferings of Hercules Barefoot

I expect a lot more in the coming days. :D

Happy reading hen :)

Oops, I have been very remiss in not replying to everyone's lovely and supportive comments about my job application and new book purchases. Thanks everyone! :friends0: to you all.

I've not read it myself, but that is supposed to be very good.

I've heard a lot of good things about Simon Winchester's books. :)

Great books Kylie, you're getting together a nice collection of 1001 and Rory books (now you just need time to read them all :D)

I am, aren't I? :D Time is becoming more and more of an issue lately. With my mojo gone, my reading year has been pretty poor, yet I've been buying more books than ever.

I picked this up a while back thinking it looked interesting, but haven't got around too it yet.

I've got this too Kylie. I've found it excellent for all the ins and outs of writing poetry and all told in Stephen Fry's inimitable style.

I bought The Ode Less Travelled more because it was written by Fry (and highly recommended by Giulia) than because I actually want to write poetry, but I had a flick through it last night and noticed that Fry gives specific instructions to the reader along the lines of 'don't continue reading until you complete this exercise!' I daren't defy Mr Fry (has he been knighted yet?) so maybe I will try my hand at some poetry after all. Scary thought. :lurker: At the very least, I look forward to learning the more technical aspects of poetry that I've never understood.

As for the job application, I made it past the last one or two rounds (three rounds in all) and had a phone interview on Monday. I think it went reasonably well and I will find out the result by Friday at the latest. So I have a few anxious days of waiting. I really, really hope I get it. It's my absolute dream job. :) It would be part time, so I would have it as a second job, but there would be a chance of full-time work in the future.

Goodness gracious, you've been keeping busy Kylie :D Now some serious commenting!

Fiction

Non-Fiction

Lynne Truss: Making the Cat Laugh

Lynne Truss: Tennyson's Gift

Ian Stewart: Professor Stewart's Cabinet of Mathematical Curiosities

I didn't know any of the titles from the fiction section, but kudos on finding more Lynne Truss books, I know how much you like those! And the Stewart book sounds really intriguing.

I'm pleased to say that I finished Stella Gibbons' Cold Comfort Farm a full one and a half days before they discuss it on the book show. It was a bit iffy for a while as to whether I would finish in time. After reading just a few pages a day for what seemed like a long time, I flew through the last 90 pages today.

How did you like the book? I remember it being something quite unexpected and I don't think I really knew what to make of it. How did Jason like it?

Soon I will need to start on The Master and Margarita for next month's club.

I'm so behind on things on here on the forum, I have no idea if you've now started and already finished this book. Too bad I wasn't there to join you! Did you enjoy it?

My Dad is also reading his second book of the year, which is huge news. I still can't believe I now have a family of readers! I had long ago given up hope that my parents would ever take up reading.

Wow, I really didn't see this coming at all. What's he been reading? Is he now joining your Mum on her book raids? :D

Today I received Andrew Solomon's The Noonday Demon: An Anatomy of Depression. Given how close I am to the subject, I was rather hoping to get stuck into this straight away. However, it's about twice as thick as I thought it would be and has small print, so I'm a little bit daunted!

Meh, what am I going on about? This is an important subject and I'm not going to let the size daunt me. I feel like I need to read this now so by jove I'm going to! (Excuse my thinking out loud. )

It's a pretty hefty book, yes. But like you said, it's an important and interesting subject and I think you've mentioned somewhere that you've enjoyed some parts of it and are finding it insightful? I was also thinking about starting this when I noticed you're reading it, but it's in this pile that's got two cardboard boxes of books on top of it and it would've been too much of a hassle to try and get it out so I passed...

I was just adding the books to Goodreads and noticed that Frankie already has Nervous System and that it's on the Rory list! Woohoo! I didn't even recognise it as a Rory book. I just saw it and thought it sounded really interesting. It's 'the story of a novelist who lost his mind'.

I think we had this conversation before, I don't have the book but it's on my wishlist, mostly because of the Rory book list status but it also sounds like a really great read. And yes this reminds me that I should add that 'wishlist' shelf next to the currently-reading, to-be-read, and read shelves. I was supposed to do that ages ago...

One cafe/bookshop we went to had a gorgeous room with a fireplace, cosy chairs, bookcases around all the walls and lovely views of the mountains outside. When I bought one of the Calvino novels from there, the owner said something like 'someone who can read!' implying that I had good taste in literature.

Haha, that's nice :D

I wonder if I could make a job for myself in organising and cataloguing people's books when they are simply too busy to do it themselves? What a wonderful job that would be!

I'll give you a month's probationary post with my bookshelves when you get here. We'll see how it goes!

Now comments on books acquired by kirja-Kylie!

- Bill Morgan and David Stanford (eds): Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg: The Letters

Jealous!!!

- Jan Lars Jensen: Nervous System

Jealous!!

- Lynne Truss: Get Her Off the Pitch!

- Lynne Truss: Going Loco (I already have this in The Lynne Truss Treasury)

Yay for more Lynne Truss :)

- Maryanne Wolf: Proust and the Squid

Jealous!!

- Italo Calvino: The Baron in the Trees

- Italo Calvino: The Road to San Giovanni

Yay for finding more Calvino! - Jasper Fforde: The Fourth Bear (a paperback to replace my hardback)

I approve.

- Primo Levi: If Not Now, When? (1001)

I'm really curious about this, I've seen it at the library a couple of times and I heard somewhere that it's a really good read.

- Nevil Shute: A Town Like Alice (1001, 701, Vintage edition)

Am curious about this. Maybe because the title reminds me of this play they were rehearsing in My So-Called Life, and also because of the Kerouac title The Town and the City.

- Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell: The Curse of the Gloamglozer

What's this about?

- Michael J Fox: Lucky Man

Want to read it!

- Mary S Lovell: The Mitford Girls

Jealous!!

- Spike Milligan and Anthony Clare: Depression and How to Survive It

This sounds interesting.

- Ayn Rand: Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal

Bloody hell Kylie, jealous!

- Jon Ronson: The Men Who Stare at Goats

Hm, is this the book the movie is based on? I don't remember what the idea behind it is but I remember it was a pretty original idea.

- Pat Califia: Doc and Fluff (dystopian; I've been looking for this book for years and couldn't find it anywhere)

I'm so happy about this, I remember you were always looking for this and had been looking for it for ages :cool:

- Dave Eggers: A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius (Rory)

Yay for finding a copy of this, I remember when I bought it and you commented you'd like a copy as well.

- Shel Silverstein: Where the Sidewalk Ends (1001 children)

Creepy! :P

- Harriet Beecher Stowe: Uncle Tom's Cabin (1001, Rory)

Excellent.

- Anne Fadiman: Rereadings

Is this similar to Howards End is on the Landing?

- Virginia Holman: Rescuing Patty Hearst (Rory)

So jealous!

- Susanna Kaysen: GIrl, Interrupted (Rory)

Didn't like the movie, I know you did, but should make a good read anyhows.

- Alberto Manguel: Into the Looking-Glass Woods: Essays on Books, Reading, and the World

Jealous!

- HL Mencken: My Life As Author and Editor (Rory)

Really jealous!

Hm, did you at some point get Mencken's Chrestomathy?

I bought The Ode Less Travelled more because it was written by Fry (and highly recommended by Giulia) than because I actually want to write poetry, but I had a flick through it last night and noticed that Fry gives specific instructions to the reader along the lines of 'don't continue reading until you complete this exercise!' I daren't defy Mr Fry (has he been knighted yet?) so maybe I will try my hand at some poetry after all. Scary thought. :lurker: At the very least, I look forward to learning the more technical aspects of poetry that I've never understood.

As for the job application, I made it past the last one or two rounds (three rounds in all) and had a phone interview on Monday. I think it went reasonably well and I will find out the result by Friday at the latest. So I have a few anxious days of waiting. I really, really hope I get it. It's my absolute dream job. :) It would be part time, so I would have it as a second job, but there would be a chance of full-time work in the future.

That's the exact reason I bought it, but since I've been writing poetry more and more in the past year or so, it may be time for me to pick this up. It's interesting that he sets exercises though, might give it a shot. As for being knighted, I don't think he has yet, which is a travesty, really. In any case, congratulations on getting through the rounds so far, and let us know if you get the job, I've got my fingers and toes crossed for you. :friends3:

I bought The Ode Less Travelled a couple of years ago, Kylie, but I bought it because I don't "get" poetry, and I hoped that although it's aimed at helping people write poetry, it might help me understand how to read poetry instead. Unfortunately, I haven't got round to it yet, but I'll be really interested to hear what you think of it. :)

Hey everyone, all of your crossed fingers and toes worked! I GOT THE JOB!!! :yahoo:

I'm so excited! :D If I didn't already say it, it's my dream job - the type of work I would be happy to do for no pay if it wasn't the fact that I need money to live. WOOHOO!!! :D

Hey everyone, all of your crossed fingers and toes worked! I GOT THE JOB!!! :yahoo:

:e010: Let me start with a WOO! :jump: Then let me add a HOO! As in .................................................:woohoo:

Congratulations, what a long process to have gone through, what a brilliant and well deserved result! :clapping:

Aww, thanks everyone! I love sharing happy news. :D I have a bit of work to do now to get myself set up properly. I don't know if I mentioned it, but this is a second job, so I'll be working at night-time and on weekends, which leaves me little or no time for reading. :( But I'll squeeze it in somehow!

To top off the day, I got home to a huge book parcel from the Book Depository (who I guess finally got sick of sending me one book at a time and decided to pack as many as they could into one box).

Fiction

Italo Calvino: The Complete Cosmicomics

Michel Faber: The Apple

Ted Hughes: The Iron Man (1001 Children)

Ted Hughes: The Iron Woman

Maurice Leblanc: Arsene Lupin, Gentleman-Thief

Primo Levi: The Periodic Table

Sylvia Plath: Collected Children's Stories

Ransom Riggs: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Non-Fiction

Richard J Evans: The Third Reich in Power

HL Mencken: A Mencken Chrestomathy (Rory)

Julie Rugg & Lynda Murphy: A Book Addict's Treasury

Edited by Kylie

Primo Levi: The Periodic Table My other half keeps telling me what an amazing book this is, and it's sat just over my left shoulder as I write this so I'm often thinking about reading it, but I do find it a bit daunting.

Ransom Riggs: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children I keep seeing the one pop up on my recommendations on amazon, and it does intrigue me, so I might well be joining you in getting a copy of this one as some point.