Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2011

Kylie

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It's got to the point now though that mostly what I want on the shelves etc is books which he is kind of happy with because bits and pieces and knick knacks aren't his thing at all.

Actually I've had a thought, I could cross stitch my favourite book covers!! I've never thought of that before .. it might work.

More books are always good. :)

That is such a great idea! I would copy it if I had the slightest inkling of how to cross stitch.

When we had the stitch-a-long last year, I cross stitched my bookmark with the cover of Twilight as my inspiration, with the word "twilight" in a similar style font used on the books and stitched it in white with a silver blending filament on a black aida, then backed with a black material with a white and red design on it. It made me think that book covers/spines would be great inspirations for bookmarks, and would link nicely in with the theme of books and bookmarks together. I did think of doing a Thursday Next inspired book mark, but never got round to it

(Sorry to hijack your thread Kylie :blush: )

Don't apologise! I love that you posted this and, like Poppyshake, I'd love to see a picture of the bookmark. It sounds amazing!

Kylie won't mind, she's probably :Zzzz: and dreaming of :JC_cookies:

:haha: Yes, I was sleeping. I only wish I could dream of cookies though! Last night I was having nightmares about Harper's Island, the TV show. I don't know if you saw it, but it was about a large group of people who went to an island to attend a wedding. A madman started killing them off in gruesome and creative ways in every episode.

I lost most of mine for him when I read about how he treated his wife I admire his novels tremendously but, the more I read about him, the more my opinion sinks

Why are some of the greatest writers such horrible people? :( It's so sad to hold someone's writing in such high esteem and then learn what they were like as a person. Maybe I should avoid biographies on Dickens. :(

What? What?! :o Oh dear. I've wanted the Penguin one for ages, but the trouble is I want two because I'd like one to keep and one to do something with (something arty, like you say, or even to use them as actual postcards) but they're about £10... and now you show me these!

Right, if I get any birthday money this year I know what I'm buying (even if it's only one box!). :giggle2:

Hehe. I must admit that I want the Penguin ones so badly now that I'm about to head over to the Book Depository's website to order them. giggle.gif They have 10% off at the moment so it will work out at about $18 for me. That's obviously far more than the $4 I spent on the Puffiin set, but still reasonably cheap compared to what I would have to buy them for here in Oz, and on average it works out at $11 for each set.

I don't want to cause more trouble or anything, but when I was looking up Postcards from Penguin I noticed that there's another set of postcards, Postcards from Ladybird, being released in October, with covers from Ladybird books published in the 1940s to 1970s. There's also one for Penguin Modern Classics being released at the same time

Nooooooooooooooo! :giggle2:

Luckily I got some money for my birthday. As soon as the cheques clear, I'm ordering the Puffin set (only one at the moment, although as I said, I'd love one to keep and one to use) and possibly the Penguin one, and I've added the others you mention to my Wishlist!

I've also discovered a Where's Wally set and a 'Art of Pixar' set too. Oh dear! :thud:

I thought I was the only person who'd watched Harpers Island Kylie, super scary, I had to make sure all the doors were locked before watching it! :giggle2:

Yeah, I didn't know you watched Harpers Island too, Kylie, that was a great show! I really had no idea who was behind it all, mega creepy!

Very cool! cool.gif Speaking of Cassady, I recently added Off the Road: Twenty Years with Cassady, Kerouac, and Ginsberg to my wishlist. It's by Carolyn Cassady, who was married to Neal Cassady and apparently also involved with Kerouac.

I need to add that to my wishlist, as well :giggle2: I think we've found a subject, topic, and a set of people that have, between them, and about them, produced a bottomless well -worth of books. This could make us or break us. I know it efs up with my wallet for sure :lol:

And yep, I'm also very saddened by all this new-to-me info on Dickens. :(

Edited by frankie

Alan tells me that I take it out of context and that, in Dickens day, the wife was seen as subservient to the husband (he looks almost wistful when he says this :lol: ) and therefore the fact that Dickens was a bit of a tyrant to her (not violent or anything just incredibly dictatorial) was probably the norm. But poor Catherine, her health was ruined by having so many children (ten) and as time went by she grew old and fat and he became embarrassed by her. She had two sisters who Dickens idolised, I think most of his heroines were based on one or the other of them .. one died quite young and he was devastated. Catherine who he had once found sweet and shy was now to him dull and obtuse, he lost all respect for her. I read that after they separated she used to buy her own copies of his books and write to him and tell him how much she enjoyed them and he would either not answer or send a terse little note back. She ended up living very modestly too, compared to what she had been used to. He wasn't impressed with any of his children either, I think he was disappointed by them. In contrast her sister Georgina sided with Dickens and continued as a sort of housekeeper to him (she took over the wifes role really which she had already been doing for years) after Catherine had moved out.

His friends for the most part always spoke well of him and to them I think he was always genial and good tempered (though not to Hans Christian by the sound of it.)

The saddest thing was reading that, just before she died, Catherine gave his love letters to her daughter and asked that she would give them to the British Museum .. "that the world may know he loved me once" :(

Having said all that, don't avoid the biographies Kylie, his life story is absolutely fascinating and there's always so much to be learned about the novels.

I thought I was the only person who'd watched Harpers Island Kylie, super scary, I had to make sure all the doors were locked before watching it! :giggle2:

Yeah, I didn't know you watched Harpers Island too, Kylie, that was a great show! I really had no idea who was behind it all, mega creepy!

Yep, so scary! I tell you, I could be a writer for that show if they do another series, given the horrible dream I had the other night! For part of the dream I was actually on the island, but for part of it I was watching it on TV and kept telling myself to turn it off but I just couldn't! :(

I'm not sure that I ever watched the very last episode, because I can't remember how it ended. There are replays on TV at the moment, so I guess I'll try to catch the last episode.

I've also discovered a Where's Wally set and a 'Art of Pixar' set too. Oh dear! :thud:

I went back to the shop last night to see if I could grab a few more sets of the Puffin postcards, but they didn't have any. :( I would have loved to have sent them to you and Poppyshake. I'm tempted by the Where's Wally postcards.

I need to add that to my wishlist, as well :giggle2: I think we've found a subject, topic, and a set of people that have, between them, and about them, produced a bottomless well -worth of books. This could make us or break us. I know it efs up with my wallet for sure :lol:

Definitely. :yes: They led such interesting lives.

I seem to be having a lot of vivid dreams lately; I think they're caused the sleeping pills I'm taking. Last night I dreamt that I went to the City Lights bookshop in San Francisco. I was a complete nerd and asked the person I was with to take a photo of me walking into the shop; you know, one hand on the door handle with a big dopey grin on my face. When I went in I was in such awe that I looked around for a bit without taking anything in and then had to leave.

I went back to the shop last night to see if I could grab a few more sets of the Puffin postcards, but they didn't have any. :( I would have loved to have sent them to you and Poppyshake. I'm tempted by the Where's Wally postcards.

Aww bless you - such a kind thought. :hug:

I went back to the shop last night to see if I could grab a few more sets of the Puffin postcards, but they didn't have any. :( I would have loved to have sent them to you and Poppyshake.

Awww .. thanks for thinking of us Kylie :friends0: .. hope you're sleeping better now and having peaceful dreams :Zzzz:

No worries gals. Probably with my luck I would have found only one set anyway. Luckily I had already decided what to do if that was the case: I was going to cut each postcard in half, right down the middle and send half to each of you. :D (Is that too sick a joke?)

I seem to be having a lot of vivid dreams lately; I think they're caused the sleeping pills I'm taking. Last night I dreamt that I went to the City Lights bookshop in San Francisco. I was a complete nerd and asked the person I was with to take a photo of me walking into the shop; you know, one hand on the door handle with a big dopey grin on my face. When I went in I was in such awe that I looked around for a bit without taking anything in and then had to leave.

What a good dream to have! Wish you could come here sometime. There is a bookstore called Zandbros and its so quirky and unique, I know you'd just love it! Hope the dreams aren't interfering with your quality of sleep. xx

No worries gals. Probably with my luck I would have found only one set anyway. Luckily I had already decided what to do if that was the case: I was going to cut each postcard in half, right down the middle and send half to each of you. :D (Is that too sick a joke?)

Heehee .. you have an evil mind mistress :lol: we'd always be wondering who got the better half.

I did a little book shopping this afternoon and came home with a great haul. :)

Fiction

Brom: The Child Thief

I could not believe I found this, and for a huge bargain! :D I've read and loved The Plucker but haven't bought any more of Brom's books as yet because, as illustrated novels, they're usually rather expensive.

Patrick Dennis: Auntie Mame

I'm not sure if this is on any of my challenge lists, but I've seen and loved the movie, so I think the book will be well worth a read.

Barry Hines: A Kestral for a Knave

I already own a copy of this, but that's a yucky secondhand edition and this a pretty, new edition. blush.gif

Gene Wilder: What Is This Thing Called Love?

Wilder is one of my favourite actors and I've read both his autobiography, Kiss Me Like a Stranger, and a novel he wrote called My French 'lady of the night'. I had no idea he had another book out, so I was very happy to find this! It's a collection of short stories. I just looked inside and noticed he actually has another book out called The Woman Who Wouldn't. Looks like one for the wish list.

Non-Fiction

Michael Chabon: Maps & Legends: Reading and Writing Along the Borderlands

A collection of essays on reading and writing. :)

Des Crowley and Clare Williamson: The World of the Book

This is a gorgeous, illustrated hardback which is 'a journey through time and across the globe...features great books and publishing innovations of the past and present.'

Alberto Manguel: Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey

I'll buy anything by Manguel since I read his wonderful The Library at Night (well, except for a book of essays I once saw that was really rather expensive, even after a 50% discount). This is from a series called Books that Shook the World and the title speaks for itself, really. Unfortunately, I haven't read either of Homer's works as yet, so it'll be a while before I get to read this book.

Ralph Steadman: The Joke's Over: Memories of Hunter S Thompson

I couldn't believe my luck when I found this one! I was only reading up on it the other day and thinking that I'd love to read it. Steadman did all the famous artwork for Thompson and they were friends for decades, but I believe they had a falling-out later in life, which should make for some interesting reading.

Anita Thompson (ed): Interviews with Hunter S Thompson

What it says. A collection of interviews with Thompson collected from various publications over the years.

Simon Winchester: A Crack in the Edge of the World

I'm a big fan of Winchester, despite not having read any of his books yet (huh.gif). I have about half a dozen of his books now, and I'm sure I'll love them all because he writes about such interesting subjects. This is about the 'Great American Earthquake of 1906'.

Simon Winchester: A Crack in the Edge of the World

I'm a big fan of Winchester, despite not having read any of his books yet (huh.gif). I have about half a dozen of his books now, and I'm sure I'll love them all because he writes about such interesting subjects. This is about the 'Great American Earthquake of 1906'.

I love that comment .. 'I'm a big fan, despite not having read any of his books' :lol: I know exactly what you mean, I'm a big fan of writers I've never read too (somehow we just know :wink:)

Great book haul Kylie .. well done :D 'Auntie Mame' interests me, I think it's popped up on Amazon a few times when I've been browsing, as in, if you liked that you'll like this (when I've been looking at the Bloomsbury books I think.) I'll be interested to see what you make of it. I want to read 'A Kestrel for a Knave' too, I liked the film 'Kes' so if it's anything as good as that then it's brilliant. I see you're getting a bit of a thing for Hunter S Thompson?, I'm sure I've got 'Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas' somewhere .. I need to dig it out and read it.

Have a great bank holiday weekend Kylie, you can arrange these new acquisitions on your Billy's if you've nothing else to do :lol:

Barry Hines' book was turned into the film Kes, which both takes me back and dates me. Very much worth seeing if you get the chance, although I don't know what you'd make of the Northern accents. You could pretend they're Queenslanders, maybe ...

Blech. Queenslanders would put me off watching the movie. mocking.gif I can handle the Northern accents (hopefully).

I thought of you last night while I was shopping, Roland. I actually managed to find a copy of London Calling. It's incredible because this is a bookshop that sells remaindered books so it's very much pot luck on what you'll find and when. I was thrilled to find it, but it was a large hardcover and a little expensive. When I thought about it, I knew I wouldn't be likely to read it for a while, so I decided to wait for the paperback. See? I can show restraint!

I love that comment .. 'I'm a big fan, despite not having read any of his books' :lol: I know exactly what you mean, I'm a big fan of writers I've never read too (somehow we just know :wink:)

I'm so glad you know how I feel. :) Obviously we've been reading long enough that we know instinctively (for the most part, at least) who we will and will not enjoy.

Great book haul Kylie .. well done :D 'Auntie Mame' interests me, I think it's popped up on Amazon a few times when I've been browsing, as in, if you liked that you'll like this (when I've been looking at the Bloomsbury books I think.) I'll be interested to see what you make of it. I want to read 'A Kestrel for a Knave' too, I liked the film 'Kes' so if it's anything as good as that then it's brilliant. I see you're getting a bit of a thing for Hunter S Thompson?, I'm sure I've got 'Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas' somewhere .. I need to dig it out and read it.

Have a great bank holiday weekend Kylie, you can arrange these new acquisitions on your Billy's if you've nothing else to do :lol:

Thanks Poppyshake. :) Coincidentally, Mame was on TV today. :) I've forgotten most of the movie but didn't watch it again because I don't want it to spoil the book. It's interesting that you mention Bloomsbury because it seems like the type of book Bloomsbury might publish.

Speaking of Bloomsbury, did you know that you can email them with suggestions of books for them to publish? I read that when I was reading a review of one of their books. I immediately thought of The Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley. Not having read it myself, I don't know if it really fits the bill, but there don't seem to be any nice editions of it out there, and it's in the public domain, so it would surely be available for them to publish. I'd love for them to publish it!

It's interesting that the first copy I bought of A Kestral for a Knave is actually called Kes. I've always been sure that it's exactly the same book (I think I even looked it up at the time to make certain). But now I wonder if there's a movie version as well? I doubt it, but I'm going to check just in case.

I'd better ease up on Hunter S Thompson now. I have quite a few books by him and about him to read. smile2.gif

I have a few new piles of books to add to my bookcases and it so happens that my Dad is heading to IKEA on Monday with his trailer to buy some stuff for a job he's doing, so I'll be asking him to pick up a new Billy for me - the last one I need to complete my semi-circle of bookcases in my library. :) Yay!

Edited by Kylie

I could not believe I found this, and for a huge bargain! :D I've read and loved The Plucker but haven't bought any more of Brom's books as yet because, as illustrated novels, they're usually rather expensive.

Isn't this a book that's been highly recommended on here, by Kell, for example (?)? It sounds great but I've never been that into illustrated novels, but maybe I should let go of my inhibitions and read it. I'm so happy you found yourself a copy! :smile2:

I already own a copy of this, but that's a yucky secondhand edition and this a pretty, new edition. blush.gif

Hehe :) I approve! Did you find Kes at the arcade bookshop? And didn't you find a copy of the book at the book fair, but wasn't sure it was on the list and therefore didn't buy it?

Gene Wilder: What Is This Thing Called Love?

Wilder is one of my favourite actors and I've read both his autobiography, Kiss Me Like a Stranger, and a novel he wrote called My French 'lady of the night'. I had no idea he had another book out, so I was very happy to find this! It's a collection of short stories. I just looked inside and noticed he actually has another book out called The Woman Who Wouldn't. Looks like one for the wish list.

I already commented on this, but I want to say again: I'm so happy for you for finding this! And finding out that you have other books to look for by him :hug:

Non-Fiction

Michael Chabon: Maps & Legends: Reading and Writing Along the Borderlands

A collection of essays on reading and writing. :)

Sounds excellent! :cool:

Des Crowley and Clare Williamson: The World of the Book

This is a gorgeous, illustrated hardback which is 'a journey through time and across the globe...features great books and publishing innovations of the past and present.'

And another intriguing book! You certainly have a knack for finding these kinds of books, I envy you!

Alberto Manguel: Homer's The Iliad and The Odyssey

I'll buy anything by Manguel since I read his wonderful The Library at Night (well, except for a book of essays I once saw that was really rather expensive, even after a 50% discount). This is from a series called Books that Shook the World and the title speaks for itself, really. Unfortunately, I haven't read either of Homer's works as yet, so it'll be a while before I get to read this book.

Ditto!

Ralph Steadman: The Joke's Over: Memories of Hunter S Thompson

I couldn't believe my luck when I found this one! I was only reading up on it the other day and thinking that I'd love to read it. Steadman did all the famous artwork for Thompson and they were friends for decades, but I believe they had a falling-out later in life, which should make for some interesting reading.

I can't believe your luck either :lol: Just amazing.

Anita Thompson (ed): Interviews with Hunter S Thompson

What it says. A collection of interviews with Thompson collected from various publications over the years.

I feel like I could just write the same thing under every book you've bought, I'm starting to repeat myself...

I have a few new piles of books to add to my bookcases and it so happens that my Dad is heading to IKEA on Monday with his trailer to buy some stuff for a job he's doing, so I'll be asking him to pick up a new Billy for me - the last one I need to complete my semi-circle of bookcases in my library. :) Yay!

What, do you already need a new Billy?? :lol: Oh Kylie, you rock!!!! Pics, please :wink:

Isn't this a book that's been highly recommended on here, by Kell, for example (?)? It sounds great but I've never been that into illustrated novels, but maybe I should let go of my inhibitions and read it. I'm so happy you found yourself a copy!

This one is actually a bit different to his other novels. This is much more of a novel with just a few illustrations thrown in. It's about 480 pages long and split into 26 chapters, with only one illustration per chapter. So it's definitely not a graphic novel, if that helps. :) Sorry for the confusion. I hadn't looked very closely at it before. And yep, Kell is the one who got me into Brom.

Hehe :) I approve! Did you find Kes at the arcade bookshop? And didn't you find a copy of the book at the book fair, but wasn't sure it was on the list and therefore didn't buy it?

I did end up buying it at the book fair. I bought this new one from Basement Books (at the train station). They only had one copy and it was only a few dollars.

I feel like I could just write the same thing under every book you've bought, I'm starting to repeat myself...

Hehe. I know how you feel. I always have the same problem when commenting on your books. You can only say 'what a great find' in so many different ways! giggle.gif I'm glad your happy with my haul. smile2.gif

What, do you already need a new Billy??

I don't need it just yet, but I'm going to need it soon at the rate I've been buying books. rolleyes.gif I thought I'd just take advantage while Dad is going there with his trailer. Only he might not be going now because it's been raining and he won't want to risk getting his purchases ruined. :(

I bought two more books today:

Isabel Allende: Eva Luna (I think this is at least on the 1001 list)

Lemony Snicket: A Series of Unfortunate Events #7: The Vile Village

I have a few bookish things to do tomorrow, including shelving the new books I've bought in the last few weeks, and typing up a list of my Mum's books so she can carry it around with her to shops. I think I'm getting behind in updating some of my own lists too, so I better look into that...Happy days! :D

Speaking of Bloomsbury, did you know that you can email them with suggestions of books for them to publish? I read that when I was reading a review of one of their books. I immediately thought of The Haunted Bookshop by Christopher Morley. Not having read it myself, I don't know if it really fits the bill, but there don't seem to be any nice editions of it out there, and it's in the public domain, so it would surely be available for them to publish. I'd love for them to publish it!

No, I didn't know that ... interesting. Do you mean for their Bloomsbury group novels or just for publishing anyway? because I was wondering if they were going to add any more to their Bloomsbury Group set (Now I'm going to have to look for 'The Haunted Bookshop' :D) .

I've just read my third Bloomsbury group novel and it was odd, but great :D

It's interesting that the first copy I bought of A Kestral for a Knave is actually called Kes. I've always been sure that it's exactly the same book (I think I even looked it up at the time to make certain). But now I wonder if there's a movie version as well? I doubt it, but I'm going to check just in case.

Ahh yes, be careful because it could just be the screenplay, but then they might have just called it that to attract lovers of the film.

Good old Dad :friends0: As Frankie said, we want photo's :D (not of Dad .. of bookcase :lol: )

I have a few bookish things to do tomorrow, including shelving the new books I've bought in the last few weeks, and typing up a list of my Mum's books so she can carry it around with her to shops. I think I'm getting behind in updating some of my own lists too, so I better look into that...Happy days! :D

Happy reading Kylie :)

No, I didn't know that ... interesting. Do you mean for their Bloomsbury group novels or just for publishing anyway? because I was wondering if they were going to add any more to their Bloomsbury Group set (Now I'm going to have to look for 'The Haunted Bookshop' :D) .

I believe it's the Bloomsbury Group novels.

Ahh yes, be careful because it could just be the screenplay, but then they might have just called it that to attract lovers of the film.

I had a quick look at the first and last sentences of both books (praying that I wouldn't spoil the ending for myself) and they were exactly the same, so I think you might correct in thinking they called it Kes to attract film fans. :)

Good old Dad :friends0: As Frankie said, we want photo's :D (not of Dad .. of bookcase :lol: )

Hehe. Will do. I took some photos of my library last month but I think I'll take some updated pics in a few weeks' time to show how my library has changed in the first 6 months of 2011.

Happy reading Kylie :)

Thanks Paula. :friends0:

This one is actually a bit different to his other novels. This is much more of a novel with just a few illustrations thrown in. It's about 480 pages long and split into 26 chapters, with only one illustration per chapter. So it's definitely not a graphic novel, if that helps. :) Sorry for the confusion. I hadn't looked very closely at it before. And yep, Kell is the one who got me into Brom.

Yes I seem to remember that the book Kell was raving about was not this but some other Brom book, but they're all Brom so potatoes, potatoes :giggle:

Barry Hines: A Kestral for a Knave I did end up buying it at the book fair. I bought this new one from Basement Books (at the train station). They only had one copy and it was only a few dollars.

Ah okay :) A bargain, can't blame you for buying it! :wink:

I don't need it just yet, but I'm going to need it soon at the rate I've been buying books. rolleyes.gif I thought I'd just take advantage while Dad is going there with his trailer. Only he might not be going now because it's been raining and he won't want to risk getting his purchases ruined. :(

Well you wouldn't want your Billy getting wet, would you? (that sounded a bit dirty in my head!)

Wohoo for more books :lol: Sounds like you had an excellent day :friends3:

Well you wouldn't want your Billy getting wet, would you? (that sounded a bit dirty in my head!)

mocking.gif I'll just have to wait a bit longer for it, I guess. Although now that I've mentioned taking updated photos of my library at the end of the month, I've kind of got my heart set on getting it soon so I can put it up and have it ready.

Wohoo for more books :lol: Sounds like you had an excellent day

Indeed! And I had another excellent day yesterday. You may not have seen my post in the book activity thread, but yesterday I bought a few books and received a couple in the mail. I know you'll be particularly happy about one of them, Frankie (and you too, Poppyshake!)

Clare Allan: Poppy Shakespeare (I already have this but wanted a paperback)

John Banville: The Infinities

Vladimir Nabokov: Invitation to a Beheading

Dan Rhodes: Gold

Miriam Toews: The Flying Troutmans

Edited by Kylie