AbielleRose's Reading List 2011

AbielleRose

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chesil- Why deny yourself? You should indulge and enjoy CoFA. :D :D :D

Charm- :o You're already done reading it?! You're fast! I don't want this story to end. :( Clockwork Angel is great and in the same world, but I adore THESE characters.

Chesil- Why deny yourself? You should indulge and enjoy CoFA.

Charm- :o You're already done reading it?! You're fast! I don't want this story to end. :( Clockwork Angel is great and in the same world, but I adore THESE characters.

Go for it Chesil - you know you want to!

I agree with you Abby about Clockwork Angel, it is great and I'm sure I'll buy Clockwork Prince, but I still prefer The Mortal Instruments series ... ah Jace *sigh*

The only thing I'm not too crazy about in CoFA so far is how much Simon has changed. Its like he is a whole new character, and I loved the old Simon.

Haha, so you're a Jace fan? Out of all her male characters, I love Jem the most. There is just something about him and his horrible past... IDK. :D

The main character in my head at the min is Matthew Clairmont from A Discovery Of Witches by Deborah Harkness. I can whole heartedly recommend you read this! :D I can't even concentrate on another read properly yet :blush:

Ooh, the title of that one sounds very intriguing... I shall check it out! Don't you love it when you find a book that just stays with you after you close the final page? There have been times when I've closed the book after finishing it and then re-opened that final page just to make sure I wasn't missing an epilogue or anything. :giggle:

Chesil- Why deny yourself? You should indulge and enjoy CoFA. :D :D :D

Go for it Chesil - you know you want to!

:lol: No, I know it'll be a one sitting reading, and if I buy it now, I won't have time to finish it, and will get really annoyed by either having to stop reading for work, or by falling asleep while I'm in the middle of a chapter! A nice free day on a Bank Holiday weekend is what I need :D

Edited by chesilbeach

• 3 weeks later...

Chesil- Have you read it yet? :D

I got a nice little package in the mail from Barnes and Noble containing the first 3 books in the Bluebloods series by Melissa De La Cruz. I've read them before and really love the series. I think today I'll start reading the first one (will hopefully get most of the way through it if not finish it since they're so short).

Lately most of the reading I have been doing is of magazines. Last week I started a re-read of Wicked by Gregory Maguire and am loving it as much as the last time. :)

There is a big book festival in Sioux Falls soon and I'm hoping to drive down if my work schedule allows me to. There is also a really nice second hand bookstore down there with beautiful antique books for good prices I'd like to visit. Its a 3 1/2 - 4 hour drive and my little second hand store isn't open on Sundays so hopefully the book festival will last over a Tuesday so I can make it to both.

Hi Abby, hope you're feeling a bit better today :friends0:

Yes I have read it, it was my Easter Sunday treat! Loved it, loved it, LOVED IT! :D Now, I'm impatiently waiting for Clockwork Prince now (219 days until UK release, not that I'm counting or anything :giggle2: )

I knew it was a mistake coming in this thread ... I've not heard of the Blue Bloods series, so, of course, I go and look it up, and now it's residing on my wishlist. :rolleyes:

Edited by chesilbeach

Haha, I need to find out the exact release date here in the US! It stinks that release dates between US and UK are always so far apart.

You really do need to read the Blue Bloods! They're very well written and extremely creative with the vampire concept. Its not your traditional "Ah, I'm a shiny immortal here to suck your neck, you sexy big breasted babe, you!" The backstory is one of my favorites in today's YA literature. Yeah... you're moving them higher on your list now, aren't you? ;)

• 4 weeks later...

They've just cast Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace Wayland in The Mortal Instruments series! He's not quite who I'd have pictured in the role, but he is a good actor from what I've seen. I can't wait for them to finally start filming City of Bones!!!

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/camelots-jamie-campbell-bower-gets-lead-in-screen-gems-the-mortal-instruments/

<3 <3 <3

Going by those comments, it doesn't look like anyone really approves of the choice!

My Mum wouldn't be impressed; she would take one look and say 'he should brush his hair'. :giggle2:

I think everyone was expecting him to be more like "Taylor Lautner" hott. He's cute, just not really who I would have imagined physically in the role. Everyone will fall in love with him in time, though. :) They always do.

I think those evil green pigs from Angry Birds have stolen my reading mojo. :(

They've just cast Jamie Campbell Bower as Jace Wayland in The Mortal Instruments series! He's not quite who I'd have pictured in the role, but he is a good actor from what I've seen. I can't wait for them to finally start filming City of Bones!!!

I quite like his looks but had to laugh at the comments like 'uggh no .. he was the last person I wanted to see cast as Jace' ... surely not, you mean you would rather see Danny DeVito or Ricky Gervais? :lol: You've got to hope that the poor guy doesn't read these comments or he'll never be able to face his first day on set.

This reminds me of the brouhaha there was when Renee Zelwegger was cast as Bridget Jones and then the film came out and everyone loved her.

That's what happened with Robert Pattinson and Twilight initially, too! Haha, It must just be one of those things where people have no choice but to love the actors in their favorite book-turn-movie series!

I picked up a new book that I'm hoping will zap my lazy mojo in the bum! Its called A Mountain of Crumbs by Elena Gorokhova. The little blurb on the front cover likens it to a Russian version of Angela's Ashes.

Blurb from the back:

Elena Gorokhova’s A Mountain of Crumbs is the moving story of a Soviet girl who discovers the truths adults are hiding from her and the lies her homeland lives by. Elena’s country is no longer the majestic Russia of literature or the tsars, but a nation struggling to retain its power and its pride. Born with a desire to explore the world beyond her borders, Elena finds her passion in the complexity of the English language—but in the Soviet Union of the 1960s such a passion verges on the subversive. Elena is controlled by the state the same way she is controlled by her mother, a mirror image of her motherland: overbearing, protective, difficult to leave. In the battle between a strong-willed daughter and her authoritarian mother, the daughter, in the end, must break free and leave in order to survive. Through Elena’s captivating voice, we learn not only the stories of Russian family life in the second half of the twentieth century, but also the story of one rebellious citizen whose curiosity and determination finally transport her to a new world. It is an elegy to the lost country of childhood, where those who leave can never return.

I'm liking the sound of 'A Mountain of Crumbs' , it's always an eye opener to read about different cultures and I love reading tales about Russia in particular. I haven't read 'Angela's Ashes' but I have dipped into it and loved what I did read (it's on the shelf waiting it's turn but I did read a bit of it when I was on holiday and found it on someone else's bookshelf) so the comparison sounds encouraging.

How you getting on with it so far? Hope it's mojo enhancing.

Believe it or not, it's piqued the mojo's interests. :D So far the book is really good. It has that Elie Weisel sort of feel, where you are captured by the words and fully aware that you're reading someone's memories rather than a mere 'story'. Russian culture and history has always interested me, too; especially stories about the Romanov family. There is just something about Russia that is so beautiful and magical, even in the darkest of stories, that makes me want to be absorbed in literature set there.

So far I'm much further than I expected to be; hopefully the mojo will hold up so I can finish it!

http://www.deadline.com/2011/05/camelots-jamie-campbell-bower-gets-lead-in-screen-gems-the-mortal-instruments/

<3 <3 <3

I think he has the potential to be a great Jace but its been said, I really hope they sort out his hair :lol:

Edited by Weave

:lol: Haha! I think they'll give him a good cut and probably have him buff up a bit. He has to compete against Rob Pattinson and Taylor Lautner for teen girls' hearts now, after all. ;)

He has big old heart throb shoes to fill! :) I'm really looking forward to seeing who is playing Simon and Magnus Bane :)

He has big old heart throb shoes to fill! :) I'm really looking forward to seeing who is playing Simon and Magnus Bane :)

Me too! For Magnus they need someone sort of like Russell Brand only not so dirty and icky. Someone with a really out there personality.

Elena Gorokhova’s A Mountain of Crumbs is the moving story of a Soviet girl who discovers the truths adults are hiding from her and the lies her homeland lives by. Elena’s country is no longer the majestic Russia of literature or the tsars, but a nation struggling to retain its power and its pride. Born with a desire to explore the world beyond her borders, Elena finds her passion in the complexity of the English language—but in the Soviet Union of the 1960s such a passion verges on the subversive. Elena is controlled by the state the same way she is controlled by her mother, a mirror image of her motherland: overbearing, protective, difficult to leave. In the battle between a strong-willed daughter and her authoritarian mother, the daughter, in the end, must break free and leave in order to survive. Through Elena’s captivating voice, we learn not only the stories of Russian family life in the second half of the twentieth century, but also the story of one rebellious citizen whose curiosity and determination finally transport her to a new world. It is an elegy to the lost country of childhood, where those who leave can never return.

Hey you, hope the reading mojo manages to get back into shape quickly for you; mine has slipped also, but that's because of exams not Angry Birds. :giggle:

Also, A Mountain of Crumbs certainly sounds up my street; a young girl trying to break through an oppressive family life and through the boundaries imposed on her by her country as well, in order to discover her own independence and express her love for the English language freely. Also, I studied Russia a little at A Level so that piqued my interest some more. I think I might just pick this one up at some point Abby, so thanks for the recommendation.

Edited by Ben

Guest JellyBeans91

<3 <3 <3

I am disappointed to hear he was cast. I'm not wanting to watch the film anymore. Jace is a strong, handsome young man, not a thin, feminine man. He's not even American. The film versions of books are always disappointing. Jace in my head will be covering Jamies face and body whenever I see him to convince myself that they actually chose the right person.

• 1 month later...

I was sort of naughty today and ended up buying 11 books:

Stardust by Neil Gaiman

Across the Great Barrier by Patricia C. Wrede

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

The Help by Katheryn Stockett

One Day by David Nicholls

The Fermata by Nicholson Baker

Bound by Honor by Colette Gale

The Awakening by Marley Gibson

The Faerie Path by Frewin Jones

Living Violet by Jaime Reed (pre-ordered)

Long Time Coming by Scarlett Parrish (eBook for the Nook)

Its been a while since I've gotten into a really good book so hopefully these will be good reads. :) I'm planning to start Stardust first.