AbielleRose's Reading List 2011

AbielleRose

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Attempting to read is more like it. The old mojo has been off on vacation for the last few days now. The book is going really well, actuallym :) I've made a lot of progress these last few weeks and am loving the journey its been taking me on. How about yourself? How is everything?

• 2 weeks later...

Oops, I accidentially bought more books to add to the TBR pile. Last night I began writing a short story that is for a Jane Austen contest. I went home and searched but couldn't find my copy of her complete works so today I bought Northanger Abbey, Pride and Prejudice and Emma. I also bought a YA fantasy that looks really Harry Potteresque (and very good!) called Fablehaven by Brandon Mull and Goodnight Tweetheart by Teresa Medeiros (recommended by Lexiepiper :) ).

Haven't been reading as much as I should be this week, but tonight I've read about 20 pages of Northanger Abbey to try and get my brain into Austen mode for the story. It's been so long since I've read this one that I'd forgotten just how dark it is in comparison to the rest of her work. Looking at it among the other stories she penned it sort of seems a bit out of character for her.

Oops, I accidentially bought more books to add to the TBR pile. Last night I began writing a short story that is for a Jane Austen contest. I went home and searched but couldn't find my copy of her complete works so today I bought Northanger Abbey, Pride and Prejudice and Emma. I also bought a YA fantasy that looks really Harry Potteresque (and very good!) called Fablehaven by Brandon Mull and Goodnight Tweetheart by Teresa Medeiros (recommended by Lexiepiper :) ).

Haven't been reading as much as I should be this week, but tonight I've read about 20 pages of Northanger Abbey to try and get my brain into Austen mode for the story. It's been so long since I've read this one that I'd forgotten just how dark it is in comparison to the rest of her work. Looking at it among the other stories she penned it sort of seems a bit out of character for her.

Going off on a tangent, but when I turn off the kindle pictures of various authors replace the text on the page and one of them is Jane Austen. I feel a weird connection to her sometimes, that she lived so long ago yet speaks to me so easily through her writing. Men are not supposed to have a JA connection :giggle2:

Going off on a tangent, but when I turn off the kindle pictures of various authors replace the text on the page and one of them is Jane Austen. I feel a weird connection to her sometimes, that she lived so long ago yet speaks to me so easily through her writing. Men are not supposed to have a JA connection :giggle2:

That's not true, vf! I think it's a really great thing when men find that somewhat 'forbidden' connection with Austen. She's such an amazing writer regardless of whether the reader is male or female. :D So, which of her works do you like the best?

Book Review of Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Have you ever taken a look at the cover of a book and wondered if the inside would be just as alluring? Have you ever gotten a recommmendation off of some random stranger and teetered back and forth between whether or not to buy the book because they don’t know you or your reading fetishes well enough to really ‘know’ what you would enjoy? Sometimes its best if we allow ourselves the luxury of taking a little leap of faith and impulsively saying ‘yes’ to a new, shiny addition to our bookshelves, regardless of logic or our bank accounts.

Last night at the little bookstore I work, a customer (who is a librarian at one of the public schools in town) came up to me, her and her daughter’s arms full of books from navel to chin, ready to check out and take their booty home to fawn over before placing them in the custody of the students. Among that pile was Beth Revis’ YA Sci Fi debut novel Across the Universe. Having been curious about the book after several glimpses of the beautiful cover I asked if any of the kids had requested it because, let’s face it, if kids are reading it the book must be good. She informed me that the copies they already had in the small school library were impossible to keep on the shelf and the reserved list streched out more than a month! She then spent the next 15 minutes telling me all about how the first chapter is by far the most powerful chapter in not only the whole YA genre, but the general fiction world. Who can refuse a recommendation with a promise like that?

I took home my brand new adoptive baby last night and opened to chapter one with a lot of anticipation and skepticism. Skepticism solely because so many people have been trying to cash in on the “vampires and werewolves are so sexy” trend in the world of YA lately that it’s been hard to find many books with not only a quality story, but quality writing as well.

Okay, first let’s back up a bit to a quote printed on the page before the journey begins:

“Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes, that call me on and on across the universe… Nothing’s gonna change my world.” ~ John Lennon and Paul McCartney

Anything with a quote from my favorite four British boys has already gained favor in my heart (I had been wondering upon first meeting if the title was some form of an homage to the fab four. *hands awesome points to Beth Revis*)

My librarian customer was not imbellishing in the least. The first line of the book is not intensely thought provoking or laden with fancy words to grasp the reader’s attention, thankfully, it is simply, “Daddy said. ‘LET MOM GO FIRST.” Go first where? Must find out… the attention span of Captain Mojo-Lost has been attracted… Several good hours, tears, and thought ponderings later, I realize that I have actually managed to devour an entire book in one sitting. The time is now 5:30 am and my body has long forgotten about sleep, sucking in the energy from this incredible book to replace the precious hours needed to secury my beauty for the next day.

Beth. Revis. Is. A. Literary. Titan.

Because I’m the bad sort of reviewer who refuses to spill any secrets of the story (I’m that annoying person who watches their friend’s faces during movies because I’m more interested in their reactions than the movie itself). You are just going to make sure to put Across the Universe on your TBR lists because it is definitely a 'must read' novel. The way Revis pulls you into Amy’s head and world(s) is something that cannot be described by my words or the words of any other reviewer out there. It is something you need to experience and feel for yourself. The last book that captured my heart and flighty mojo the way this one has was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows… yeah, it’s been that long, people.

Usually I give a rating to the books I review, but this one cannot be rated simply because a full five stars feels like a dishonor. My copy is now a treasured friend who’s cover I’ll run my fingers over fondly for years to come as I re-read it time and time again. There is no judging the worth of something like that.

That's not true, vf! I think it's a really great thing when men find that somewhat 'forbidden' connection with Austen. She's such an amazing writer regardless of whether the reader is male or female. :D So, which of her works do you like the best?

Still have not read them all (Something I must redress this year) but so far it is P & P all the way...read that 4 times and enjoyed both the films.

(Also I have read Northanger Abbey and Persuasion: both good)

Edited by vodkafan

Hope you like it if you do decide to read it, VF!

Last night I started reading Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich. I adore her Stephanie Plum series and have read all of them (this is a re-read). For the next week I need to stay very focused on my own WIP because it is due on February 13th so I cannot get too into a novel. JE has such an effortless way of writing that makes her books easy and fast reading. I also have a copy of the book she wrote on writing (with Ina Yalof) called How I Write.

The story I've been working hard on the last couple of weeks will be posted online for a contest within the next week (whenever I finish fussing over it). If anyone is interested in reading the entries so far they are very good! The contest is for a place in a book called Jane Austen Made Me Do It and will have short stories by several Austenesque authors such as Lauren Willig, Adriana Trigiani and Karen Joy Fowler. The link below is to the ones that have already been submitted if you are interested in reading some good Austen inspired short stories. :)

http://www.pemberley...bin/fic/fic.cgi

Edited by CaliLily

• 1 month later...

How much do Kindle books usually run? I just have a Nook and am in love with it. So far I've downloaded 23 books and only spent about 15.00! What I'm most excited about is being able to borrow eBooks from the Fargo library on it! You just select them on the library website and then they automatically disappear in 2 weeks if you don't renew! Book technology is awesome. :D

Right now I'm reading Beastly by Alex Linn. I'm only one chapter in but loving it! Will probaby finish today.

How much do Kindle books usually run? I just have a Nook and am in love with it. So far I've downloaded 23 books and only spent about 15.00! What I'm most excited about is being able to borrow eBooks from the Fargo library on it! You just select them on the library website and then they automatically disappear in 2 weeks if you don't renew! Book technology is awesome. :D

Right now I'm reading Beastly by Alex Linn. I'm only one chapter in but loving it! Will probaby finish today.

I really wish I could check out library books with my Kindle. I'm a bit jealous! :( I haven't spent very much on my kindle yet either. I've downloaded a few free classics. I also downloaded two books for $0.99 each. Most new releases for the kindle are around $10.99 or $12.99, and as high as $15. They keep raising prices. There was a book on my wishlist that was around $5, and before I could buy it it was raised to $7.79. I've compared the Nook and Kindle books, and they are around the same prices.

Book Review of Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Have you ever taken a look at the cover of a book and wondered if the inside would be just as alluring? Have you ever gotten a recommmendation off of some random stranger and teetered back and forth between whether or not to buy the book because they don’t know you or your reading fetishes well enough to really ‘know’ what you would enjoy? Sometimes its best if we allow ourselves the luxury of taking a little leap of faith and impulsively saying ‘yes’ to a new, shiny addition to our bookshelves, regardless of logic or our bank accounts.

Last night at the little bookstore I work, a customer (who is a librarian at one of the public schools in town) came up to me, her and her daughter’s arms full of books from navel to chin, ready to check out and take their booty home to fawn over before placing them in the custody of the students. Among that pile was Beth Revis’ YA Sci Fi debut novel Across the Universe. Having been curious about the book after several glimpses of the beautiful cover I asked if any of the kids had requested it because, let’s face it, if kids are reading it the book must be good. She informed me that the copies they already had in the small school library were impossible to keep on the shelf and the reserved list streched out more than a month! She then spent the next 15 minutes telling me all about how the first chapter is by far the most powerful chapter in not only the whole YA genre, but the general fiction world. Who can refuse a recommendation with a promise like that?

I took home my brand new adoptive baby last night and opened to chapter one with a lot of anticipation and skepticism. Skepticism solely because so many people have been trying to cash in on the “vampires and werewolves are so sexy” trend in the world of YA lately that it’s been hard to find many books with not only a quality story, but quality writing as well.

Okay, first let’s back up a bit to a quote printed on the page before the journey begins:

“Images of broken light which dance before me like a million eyes, that call me on and on across the universe… Nothing’s gonna change my world.” ~ John Lennon and Paul McCartney

Anything with a quote from my favorite four British boys has already gained favor in my heart (I had been wondering upon first meeting if the title was some form of an homage to the fab four. *hands awesome points to Beth Revis*)

My librarian customer was not imbellishing in the least. The first line of the book is not intensely thought provoking or laden with fancy words to grasp the reader’s attention, thankfully, it is simply, “Daddy said. ‘LET MOM GO FIRST.” Go first where? Must find out… the attention span of Captain Mojo-Lost has been attracted… Several good hours, tears, and thought ponderings later, I realize that I have actually managed to devour an entire book in one sitting. The time is now 5:30 am and my body has long forgotten about sleep, sucking in the energy from this incredible book to replace the precious hours needed to secury my beauty for the next day.

Beth. Revis. Is. A. Literary. Titan.

Because I’m the bad sort of reviewer who refuses to spill any secrets of the story (I’m that annoying person who watches their friend’s faces during movies because I’m more interested in their reactions than the movie itself). You are just going to make sure to put Across the Universe on your TBR lists because it is definitely a 'must read' novel. The way Revis pulls you into Amy’s head and world(s) is something that cannot be described by my words or the words of any other reviewer out there. It is something you need to experience and feel for yourself. The last book that captured my heart and flighty mojo the way this one has was Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows… yeah, it’s been that long, people.

Usually I give a rating to the books I review, but this one cannot be rated simply because a full five stars feels like a dishonor. My copy is now a treasured friend who’s cover I’ll run my fingers over fondly for years to come as I re-read it time and time again. There is no judging the worth of something like that.

Hi Abby, how are you? :) 'Across the universe' sounds brilliant, I have added it to my wishist, thanks for the recommendation :)

Ugh, don't you hate when they raise book prices like that? It seems like most of the YA books tend to run more expensive, too. Wonder why that is...

Hope you enjoy Across the Universe as much as I did, Weave! The author is still writing the second book and I am dying for her to finish and get it out to us! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hope you enjoy Across the Universe as much as I did, Weave! The author is still writing the second book and I am dying for her to finish and get it out to us! :D

Hi Abby, how are you? My copy of 'Across the Universe' arrived this morning, thanks again for the recommendation. :)

Hm. YA Sci-Fi. I just read the synopsis and some reviews on Amazon, and I have to say, I wish I'd seen this *before* I went to town. I don't doubt that my local Waterstones won't actually have it, but I would have liked to have checked.

I got an e-copy. About a third of the way through it. It's pretty good, as YA goes. I prefer adult Sci-Fi, but YA has to be very good to hold my attention and Sci-Fi isn't an easy genre to write in either. The dual-narrative thing is a bit annoying, as are the stupid words like frex and chutz, but I'm still reading it so it must be good. The first chapter was good alright, wouldn't say it's the most powerful in the general fiction world by a very long shot, but it's very good. Just hoping it gets BETTER as it goes on, I feel like I'm still reading the build up.

Where do I even start? Its been so long since I've really posted something of substance on this thread and I have lost track of my adopted books. :) Not a bad problem, but now my TBR list is going to bug be because I'll *know* it isn't complete or accurate.

The good news: I have internet again. More good news: I have 3 beautiful bookcases and for the first time in 14 months every one of my books is organized in a proper place of their own (and not on the floor in piles). More, more good news: I have become a beast at building bookcases and no longer even need to look at the instructions.

The bad news: I keep buying physical books instead of remembering to download books to my Nook eReader. The whole point of getting an eReader was that I would spend less money since ebooks are cheaper AND save space. There is just... something about physical, paper books that I adore and cannot resist.

That being said, I am going to try really hard to forget about this gap in my TBR pile maintenance and start with the last trip I made to the bookstore a couple days ago:

City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare

and

Coffeehouse Angel by Suzanne Selfors

I started City of Fallen Angels last night and am already sucked back into Clare's world of Shadowhunters. Though the characters have grown and some (read, Simon) are dramatically different people than the first 3 books in the series, I am in love and cannot wait to finish.