Cricket

Kylie

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty awful choke. I would have fancied India nine times out of ten, but 130 was a perfectly chase-able target and we bottled it really.

India were on the ropes, England should have won that comfortably. 

As a colleague at work said last week, they seem to be good at either bowling or batting in a match, but they don't seem to be able to do both at the moment.

• 3 weeks later...

We can blame the umpires as much as we like, the fact is the Aussies were on 130 at that point and our bowlers were abysmal after that.  There's no way Agar's a number 11, he took full advantage.

Didn't see any of it, but caught a few snippets on the BBC news website, and it does seem that Steve is right - they seems to be saying that our bowlers seemed to forget they had to bowl until they'd taken all ten wickets!  Will try and watch the highlights tonight to get a better feel for how the day went.

Great batting debut by Agar. Now he just needs to take a few wickets. :)

I don't usually get to see any international cricket on TV here, but I noticed halfway through watching Le Tour de France that we do actually get the Ashes coverage here. I'm thrilled!

Well, I mean, in fairness if it wasn't for bad decisions he wouldn't have had the chance to get them runs - but get them he did and fair play to him for that. Definitely not a No. 11, some sublime batting. I felt so uncomfortable wanting an Australian batsman to get his century..

Respect to Swann after he caught him out, too. Supposedly congratulated him on a great innings. I think this Test hinges on how well KP and Cook can settle into the crease now. They've made a good start but with the twists and turns in this one so far pretty much anything could happen from here.

Bloody great start to The Ashes, mind..

I've really enjoyed the play so far and it felt odd to want Agar to reach his century. It's a shame that there is all this controversy over the Trott dismissal but at least its been confirmed quickly as to what went wrong. It doesn't give him a chance to bat again but at least us fans know what went wrong and why. I'm always really impressed at how rarely the on-field umpires get a decision wrong.

Stuart Broad needs to hang his head in shame. I find it impossible to believe that he didn't know that he was out, it was a poor decision from the umpire but he has to walk.

It's just not cricket.

I haven't seen it, but as Boycott said no Australian player - with the exception of Gilchrist - would have walked so why give them an automatic advantage?

If everyone were playing by the same code it would be nice to think people would hold up their hand when they know what has happened, but we're past that and with high-stakes games and potentially their career on the line surely the onus should be on the umpires to make the right call in the first place?

Oh well. I think we should all just be delighted that we've batted strongly and are now in a strong position for the last couple of days.

I think it's a damn shame that the whole game is being overshadowed by umpire's decisions (or non-decisions). 

Oh, and Bairstow walked without waiting for the umpire's call, so let's not tar everyone with the same brush.