Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Picked up a copy of Kraken, by China Miéville for £3.99 (another buy in BBS's going out of business sale).

Nice!! one of my favourite books last year.

I managed to pick up a few books in the library Lee Child - Bad Luck and Trouble as well as buying another from Waterstones The Hard Way ( I know I am obsessed :D ) also picked up a batman graphic novel and a new to me Scandinavian crime writer Camilla Lackbergs - The Ice Princess. I still have my Chine Mieville to read and a new audio book which I can't remember what it is as its still in the car :D

I finished Room earlier tonight. Great book! :smile2:

I was going to read Flowers for Algernon but I discovered I only have the short story, and really wanted to read the novel. :huh: So, I'm about to start The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks. Looks entertaining. :giggle:

I was going to read Flowers for Algernon but I discovered I only have the short story, and really wanted to read the novel. :huh:

Kell will be pleased to hear that you have the short story. She is interested in how it compares to the full-length novel. I'd recommend reading the novel first though. :)

I started reading Eats, Shites & Leaves last night, a parody of Eats, Shoots and Leaves. It deals with, er, dodgy English and it's very entertaining. I've already read a third of it. :)

I am 100 pages into The Leopard and I am gripped, an excellent read.

Mine came in the mail a few days ago. Can't wait to get to it!

I started The girl Who Played With Fire - Stieg Larssonlooking good so far.

I've been toying with the idea of buying the first couple of Jo Nesbo books they sound good so I probably will get them even though I don't actually need them yet. :blush:

Buy them, you never know what will happen in the future! :P Better to have them on hand.

I've finally finished The Crimson Petal and the White! It's taken me four months, but I've enjoyed every single page. Off to celebrate now :JC_cookies:

I've had this in my stack forever, can't seem to get to it. Hopefully this year.

Well, I'm about a hundred pages from the end of Heartstone by C.J. Samsom. Terrific! Love it! :cool:

OK, in addition to washing unending loads of clothes, I've finished Heartstone by C.J. Sansom. Excellent!!!!

Next up is A Morbid Taste for Bones by Ellis Peters, first of the Brother Cadfael Mysteries.

Kell will be pleased to hear that you have the short story. She is interested in how it compares to the full-length novel. I'd recommend reading the novel first though. :)

I read the full-length novel a few years ago, but don't recall much aside from the basic plot. I might try to get my hands on a copy; there must be quite a bit of extra detail in there as the short story is very short. :o

Felt the need to get a couple of new books, despite the fact I have a lot still on the shelf waiting to be read, and downloaded a couple of books from Amazon, William Walker's First Year of Marriage by Matt Rudd (which was free!) plus Angel by L. A. Weatherly, as I feed my insatiable appetite for YA fantasy.

Also read a couple of chapters from Everything Is Illuminated, which I think I'll probably carry on with this afternoon.

Finished The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse and really enjoyed it! Usually not my type of book but I liked it!

Now going to start reading Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay.

Went to the second hand shop and picked up the following books:

The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas

Blindness by Jose Saramago

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson

The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery

The Girl with the Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

and picked up new:

Committed by Elizabeth Gilbert

I love you, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Grave Sight and Real Murders by Charlaine Harris

Currently reading Stargazer by Claudia Gray planning on finishing it tonight or tomorrow, Just over half way into it and getting really excited, After I finish it I'm not sure which book I would read next, not sure if I wanna carry on finding out about the characters and read the third book ion the series (Evernight) which is Hourglass, or read something different.

Still haven't finished SLAUGHTERHOUSE 5, but I am really enjoying it. Great little book. On page 66. I was worried that the going back and forth through different periods in time would make me loose track, but the author has been able to weave the time period together very well.

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

The Girl with the Pearl Earring by Tracy Chevalier

I really enjoyed both these books, the Abraham Verghese is a bit of a slow burner but a great read so worth sticking with. Hope you enjoy them both :D

I have finished Every Man for Himself by Beryl Bainbridge & now started Restless by William Boyd. This is my first Boyd but after watching & enjoying Any Human Heart on the TV recently I have high hopes for it.

I have finished Every Man for Himself by Beryl Bainbridge & now started Restless by William Boyd. This is my first Boyd but after watching & enjoying Any Human Heart on the TV recently I have high hopes for it.

Hope you enjoy Restless, Kidsmum, it's one of my favourite Boyd's of the ones I've read so far. Any Human Heart was the first of his I read but didn't see the recent TV adaptation. I've got a couple of his waiting to be read, and all the rest are on my wishlist!

I read and enjoyed Restless last year, but the first Boyd that I read was The Blue Afternoon. It is slower than Restless, but well worth it, a great story. I certainly will read more of Boyd.