Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Siege today. Feel like I had been reading longer than I should have been. Started Beauty- Robin McKinely

Is The Siege the book by Helen Dunmore? I've ordered a copy off Amazon before I read The Betrayal. If it is the same book, is it any good/ Thanks. :)

We have a Plath bio, but I forget the author, and it's buried in the pile.

Yes, I did enjoy the book, she was an interesting woman in her own right, and IMO was run down by Him. grrrrr She was a sensitive soul. I'll be interested to read your take on it. I'll dig it out and look again when you do.

Could it be Ronald Hayman's The Death and Life of Sylvia Plath? That was an excellent book. I grew to hate Hughes while reading it, though. I think it says a lot about a person whose two wives both commit suicide and in the same way, as well. I don't blame it all on him, but I think it speaks volumes.

And with the discount it ended up even cheaper than if I got it from the BD. And it has a nice cover too. :)

Excellent :cool: Was it a different cover than mine?

And thanks for the EK-AAT warning. I'll keep on open mind and will make sure I'll read it when I'm in the right mood. I think I'll enjoy it though.

I'm halfway through The Sea, The Sea by Iris Murdoch. My reading has been so bad lately, bad start to the new year! I'm enjoying it though, albeit slowly. :D

Is The Siege the book by Helen Dunmore? I've ordered a copy off Amazon before I read The Betrayal. If it is the same book, is it any good/ Thanks. :)

It is. It wasn't bad although I did find it quite slow, and didn't really feel like I knew the characters. Some of the descriptions were amazing and you could really see what was going on, and the writing style is very good.

Today I bough 2 books for my Mum for her birthday:

The Hare with Amber Eyes- Edmund de Waal (which is also on my wishlist)

Witness the Night- Kishwar Desai

And I bought Shades of Grey- Jasper Fforde for myself

Could it be Ronald Hayman's The Death and Life of Sylvia Plath? That was an excellent book. I grew to hate Hughes while reading it, though. I think it says a lot about a person whose two wives both commit suicide and in the same way, as well. I don't blame it all on him, but I think it speaks volumes.

No, I found the title in my account at Library Thing, it's Sylvia Plath: A Biography by Linda Wagner-Martin, and I haven't read it yet.

I agree, Hughes cannot be literally blamed for their deaths, ultimately, it's the person themselves that bears that burden. I do feel that it's more likely that he was simply drawn to a particular type of vulnerability in a woman, and the situation snowballed from there. From what I could tell in A Lover of Unreason he was totally insensitive to the women.....it seemed to be a vicious cycle. Horrible.

Maybe he was "just" a User. Not an attractive trait to say the least. :(

Excellent :cool: Was it a different cover than mine?

Yes. Mine has an open locket on the cover, with Assia on one side and Hughes on the other.

And thanks for the EK-AAT warning. I'll keep on open mind and will make sure I'll read it when I'm in the right mood. I think I'll enjoy it though.

Good. :) I really hope you enjoy it.

I've read a couple of tales from Tales of Terror from the Tunnel's Mouth, and I'm now about halfway through.

It is. It wasn't bad although I did find it quite slow, and didn't really feel like I knew the characters. Some of the descriptions were amazing and you could really see what was going on, and the writing style is very good.

Thank you Lucybird :) My copy arrived today and it looks quite good. I hope to start on it very soon. I also want to read the follow-up "The Betrayal" but felt I should read The Siege first.

I'm chipping away at Anna karenina .. slooooooowly

Don't give up Ladymacbeth, I'm sure you will find this such a satisfying read.

I'm slowing getting through "The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - The Whitechapel Horrors" by Eric Hanna. It's a good read and the Holmes/Watson characters are quite true to the originals. I just don't seem to have much actual reading time at the moment.

I am about 50 pages from the end of The Long Haul - managed to get about 50 pages read yesterday. It really is an incredible tale of the human spirit over adversity in appalling conditons and I take my hat off to those two young men who completed this epic journey. They have more stamina that I have, that's for sure!

Picked up a copy of Everything is Illuminated from the Oxfam bookshop for the Rory list. It was a bit expensive for a charity shop but still much cheaper than buying it new.

Finished Beauty- Robin McKinley

Thank you Lucybird :) My copy arrived today and it looks quite good. I hope to start on it very soon. I also want to read the follow-up "The Betrayal" but felt I should read The Siege first.

I have heard of The Betrayal but don't really know anything about it. Let me know what you think when you've read it :)

Finished Woman Of Ill Fame by Erika Mailman this morning and started Simon Lelic's The Facility this afternoon.

Incoming:

The Archon by Catherine Fisher

The Leopard by Jo Nesbo

Shadow by Michael Morpurgo

:readingtwo:

Finished The Long Haul earlier this evening. I am about to go to bed and start my next book. This is one I have been wanting to read for ages - Independent People by Icelandic author Halldor Laxness, which is set during the settlement period of Iceland. I was very happy to see them reissued as English translations recently, and if I like this one, will no doubt work my way through the rest of his books.