Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have about 30 pages left of Anne of Windy Poplars and I've read about 20 pages of Plath's journals. I have so many bookmarks in the latter that it's ridiculous. There's one to mark my place in the actual text, one to mark where I'm up to in the appendices, and another to mark my place in the notes at the back. I also really should use another one to mark where the notes are for the appendices. :)

I ordered a huge amount of books from the Book Depository last night. :blush: I think I should stop keeping a wish list there because I inevitably cave and buy a whole lot of them all at once.

I ordered a huge amount of books from the Book Depository last night. :blush: I think I should stop keeping a wish list there because I inevitably cave and buy a whole lot of them all at once.

:cool:

Sounds good to me!

Made more progress in Regeneration today, and a surprise! We stopped at B&N, only to look you understand, and I read a few pages in The Passage by Justin Cronin. I actually put the book back on the shelf. I mentioned to my OH that I'd skimmed it and it looked good. The next time I saw him, he had The Passage in his hand and we were headed to the checkout counter. :blush:

He's so adorable. /sigh/

I love Regeneration. I read it a few years ago as part of my A-level WWI literature module, and I thought it was fantastic. I've read the first two in the trilogy, but sadly haven't got around to reading the last (which is reportedly the best and brings it all to a great close).

Hope you enjoy reading it!

I'm enjoying it very much, Barker's writing is so simply put, seemingly, but not at all. Know what I mean? :smile2:

I'm about 150 pages into The Ghost Writer and am loving it! I wish I could've gotten more read, but this was a whirlwind of a long weekend. What a great, creepy read though :D.

I can't wait to hear what you think of it :)

I am almost finished The Strain by Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan, I've enjoyed it, its very action packed! :)

I feel bad. I had to give up on The Aegypt Cycle, after almost finishing the third book. There are moments that I truly loved, but there was a lot telling going on in the series, and very little showing and plot. I'm not sure if I have totally given up on the series, so I am going to keep it for now.

I am reading The Abandoned by Douglas Clegg. I'm loving his style. His books give me the willies. :D

Almost picked up a Murakami novel from my TBR pile (well, one of them anyway) but at the last moment went for Generation X, by Douglas Coupland, instead.

Quite good so far (am liking the definitions at the bottom of the page!).

Arrived in the mail today......

Gone Baby Gone by Dennis Lehane

Cat Coming Home by Shirley Rousseau Murphy

Cleopatra, A Life by Stacy Schiff

Schiff wrote an excellent bio of Vera Nabokov, Vera...well written and well researched. It was as much a bio of Vladimir as Vera in reality as they were the two sides of the same coin in life. I look forward to her "take" on Cleopatra.

I just this moment finished Regeneration by Pat Barker, loved it, loved it, really loved it. I think I have to continue with the trilogy, so my next read is the next in trilogy, The Eye in the Door.

I finished Anne of Windy Poplars, which was lovely. My next light read to go alongside Plath's journals will be Charlaine Harris' All Together Dead. I've also been shelving a few books here and there, when I've had trouble sleeping or concentrating on reading. It's good therapy to take one's mind off things. :)

I haven't been on the forum for a while. I still don't get much time to read now and my reading mojo did disappear for a long time! But last week I bought the first six (and subsequently the rest) of the Morganville vampire series by Rachel Caine. I'm upto book 5 and really enjoying them so far, well I must be considering I've read 5 in little over a week :P .

Other book activity for me included thinking about my book list for santa. I don't have many on it; the Dexter series (apart from the first one), Russell Brand's second autobiography and the Wicked books :)

I'm on page 97 of The Silmarillion and I love it :D Tolkien is a genius. I want to read LOTR again now, it's not a bad idea as I always think of christmas with LOTR because the films were always out that time of year.

Almost picked up a Murakami novel from my TBR pile (well, one of them anyway) but at the last moment went for Generation X, by Douglas Coupland, instead.

Which one did you almost pick up?

I'm still reading 'The Scar - China Mieville

Edited by chrysalis_stage

Started The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield today. I had no idea what it was about (I'd not even read the blurb on the cover) but it's for my reading group next month, so just ploughed into it, and I'm hooked! I don't think it's going to be anything groundbreakingly original or a classic piece of literature, but it's got an intriguing plot and it starts off in a bookshop, so can't go too far wrong, can it?

I just this moment finished Regeneration by Pat Barker, loved it, loved it, really loved it. I think I have to continue with the trilogy, so my next read is the next in trilogy, The Eye in the Door.

I read these books when I was in college, they are great :)

Which one did you almost pick up?

Dance, Dance, Dance, but I also have Norwegian Wood and Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World waiting to be read as well.

I've not read any Murakami for nearly a year as I went through several of his books in quite a short space of time and didn't want to finish them all!

Dance, Dance, Dance, but I also have Norwegian Wood and Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World waiting to be read as well.

I've not read any Murakami for nearly a year as I went through several of his books in quite a short space of time and didn't want to finish them all!

I felt the same after reading a few in a short space of time. Only read one Murakami myself this year and that was short , After Dark. I have Hard Boiled, Wind-up Bird, Hear the wind sing and Pinball 1873 staring at me ready to be read. Think I'll pick one to be my next fiction read once I've come to the end of The Scar by China Mieville, it will be a fight between a Murakami or Clive Barker's 2nd Abarat book.

I felt the same after reading a few in a short space of time. Only read one Murakami myself this year and that was short , After Dark. I have Hard Boiled, Wind-up Bird, Hear the wind sing and Pinball 1873 staring at me ready to be read. Think I'll pick one to be my next fiction read once I've come to the end of The Scar by China Mieville, it will be a fight between a Murakami or Clive Barker's 2nd Abarat book.

I like After Dark, it was the first Murakami novel I read. I especially like the character Takahashi, I was genuinely disappointed when I put the book down knowing that I would never read another story with him in it. Too cool a character to only live the one time!

Have fun making up your mind!