Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

I finished The True and Outstanding Adventures of the Hunt Sisters by Elizabeth Johnson yesterday, and started and finished Magical Thinking by Augusten Burroughs as well. Currently I'm reading Black Like Me by John Howard Griffin, very fascinating.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just started Shiver after many recommendations on here and I am loving it

I am glad to hear that pickle, Shiver is fab :)

I would love to hear you what you think and I hope you will be intrigued enough to read the rest of the series.

I sometimes tend to read obscure authors, and then don't get a chance to share their books with others, because no one else is interested. :(

If you are familiar with Little, Big (my favorite fantasy book), I found the The Solitudes an easier read, but no less thought-provoking and with some similar themes.

I'll have to beat my OH to it, but it's in the stack. :D

Just started Denis Johnson's Tree of Smoke. I quote the blurb:

Set in South-East Asia and the US, and spanning two decades, this is the story of Skip Sands, a CIA spy who may or may not be engaged in psychological operations against the Viet Cong; it is also the story of Skip's uncle, the Colonel, who is CIA as well, and either misunderstood or mad; and then there's Eddie, Voss and Jimmy, who Skip runs into - or from - every now and again: he doesn't know whose side they're on, but he does know it's not necessarily his.

Two chapters in, so it's early to say (it's a 600 page monster), but could be a good read.

/groan/ Thanks a lot! I've seen this book time and time again, and resisted the impulse. :PTruth be told, I can't remember for sure if I've given in to said impulse or not, hafta check Library Thing.........

Managed a few pages in Trip Wire by Lee Child.

120 pages into New Moon by Stephenie Meyer - I want to read it to finish it - but I'm quite annoyed by this book - last year I picked it up to try and read it and stopped 200 pages in. So I'm trying to force myself to finish it even though I pretty much hate pages 120-200 (at least) lol.

120 pages into New Moon by Stephenie Meyer - I want to read it to finish it - but I'm quite annoyed by this book - last year I picked it up to try and read it and stopped 200 pages in. So I'm trying to force myself to finish it even though I pretty much hate pages 120-200 (at least) lol.

Why do you hate it?

I'm reading The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa, I have a review copy and I love it!

I haven't read much today but Frankie and I built my new Billy bookcase. :D I just have to get Dad to fix it to the wall before I start loading it up.

I can't believe you forgot to mention our trip to the secondhand bookshop :giggle2: I bought Mary Roach's Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. And I'm still reading Black Like Me.

After reading Michelle Paver's excellent ghost story Dark Matter in two days I had a day off then started Raven Black by Ann Cleeves. Shiver's high on my TBR list too! :readingtwo:

Still persevering with Under the Dome:unsure:

Visited the charity shop today & picked up

Sharpe's Fortress Bernard Cornwall

The White Tiger Aravind Adiga

Beyond Black Hilary Mantel

French Women Don't Get Fat Mireille Guiliano

The Behaviour of Moths Poppy Adams

I'll have to beat my OH to it, but it's in the stack. :D

It doesn't matter who gets to it first. As long as one of you tells me your thoughts. :lol:

I finished The Solitudes, which was excellent, and I am now starting on Love And Sleep, the second volume of the Aegypt Cycle by John Crowley.

Still persevering with Under the Dome:unsure:

Visited the charity shop today & picked up

Sharpe's Fortress Bernard Cornwall

The White Tiger Aravind Adiga

Beyond Black Hilary Mantel

French Women Don't Get Fat Mireille Guiliano

The Behaviour of Moths Poppy Adams

I have read Beyond Black and as with other Hilary Mantell books I am still not sure whether I liked it or not.

I finished Shiver when I got in from work today and I really loved it Linger is the next one isn't it I am going to get that one soon. :D I think she writes really well for the YA market.

^Pickle, you're correct, the next book is 'Linger', the final part 'Forever' is due for release next July :)

I am still enjoying 'The Book Thief' by Markus Zusak :)

Edited by Weave

Just finished Cassandra Clare's 'City Of Bones' , and really enjoyed it! A good story, fast paced and very visual. Just what my flagging mojo needed. :D

I plan on starting on the second book in the series tonight, 'City Of Ashes'.

Just finished Cassandra Clare's 'City Of Bones' , and really enjoyed it! A good story, fast paced and very visual. Just what my flagging mojo needed. :D

I plan on starting on the second book in the series tonight, 'City Of Ashes'.

Hope you enjoy the second book Chrissy, I am planning on buying them next amazon run :lol:

I can't believe you forgot to mention our trip to the secondhand bookshop :giggle2: I bought Mary Roach's Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. And I'm still reading Black Like Me.

Oops! :blush:

Ahem...I also went to a secondhand bookshop yesterday to offload some of Frankie's books and some of my own. We got some store credit so I bought 3 more books:

Raymond Chandler: Killer in the Rain (short stories)

Jared Diamond: The Rise and Fall of the Third Chimpanzee

Kerry Greenwood: Queen of the Flower (Phryne Fisher #14)

I've made a little more progress in my two current reads.

We had a huge sale at the bookstore this week so I got 12 books for $19.00 :)

Reading-wise I've been re-reading One for the Money by Janet Evanovich this week as it's one of my favorites.

Edited by CaliLily

I'm reading 1984 by George Orwell.

It's kind of mind bending.

I keep having nightmares where I know I'm living in the world of "1984" and I'm feeling very anxious but can't really put my finger on what it's about. Clearly this book is sinking into my subconscious. I'm not sure whether that's a good thing or not.

I have read Beyond Black and as with other Hilary Mantell books I am still not sure whether I liked it or not.

I don't think I've read anything by her before, I checked it out on Amazon & it got 31/2 stars but it'll probably be awhile before I get round to reading it as I've got others that I want to read first :)

Why do you hate it?

I'm reading The Iron Queen by Julie Kagawa, I have a review copy and I love it!

Last year I tried to read it and somehow got annoyed that Bella was too whiny throughout it. But this time around - I'm understanding more. Perhaps cause I'm uninterupted and actually 'catching' everything. I'm changing my opinion about it now - as I'm on page 223? now and there wasn't as much whining as I remembered o.O. I swear before every paragraph had "Edward left me" in it. It's like someone took my book and replaced it with one that didn't have that o.O

So yeah, I'm actually enjoying it now =). A bit too 'romance' for me but hey, chalk one up to guilty pleasure ;p. =)

I haven't felt like reading since our break-in last Monday. :( However, I managed to finish A Vengeful Longing by R N Norris and have now started the next in the series, A Razor Wrapped in Silk and I must say it is taking my mind off burglars. Great writing - this is the series that features Porfiry Petrovich who was the investigating magistrate in Doestoevsky's books (Columbo was based on him) and Mr Norris has taken him on in his series - with applomb, in my opinion.

Edited by SueK