Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Charmy, I'm sorry your mojo has decided to go AWOL. Maybe you could pick up a fave read that you know you love and maybe that'll jump start it? Something sparkly, perhaps?

I read a bit more of Deja Dead last night before bed and am on about page 250. It's funny having the main character, Brennan, be the only name that's familiar to me after watching the TV show. I know they are vastly different and I definitely don't mind, it's just habit for me to see Booth in the same sentence as Brennan

After work today I'm heading over to 1/2 Price Books since I was emailed a 40% off coupon, woo! Gotta love cheap books.

Thanks peacefield, I don't think it has anything to do with the book, it's actually pretty good, I just don't want to read :( ...never ever thought I'd say that :no:

I'm so pleased though that you're enjoying Kathy Reichs, it really is very different from the series but still good. Her earlier ones are definitely the best ;)

Hope you get something good with your coupon! Dontcha just love a bargain :lol:

Sorry your mojo has gone walk-about Charm, hope it shows up again soon.

Thanks pipread, me too. I hate not reading :blush:

I just started 'Passion Unleashed' by Larissa Ione (thanks Charm!3.gif)

You're very welcome, I hope you enjoy it :D

One of my friends lent me a thick book with collected short stories by Arthur C Clarke. I'm not the greatest of scifi fans. Can't hurt to take a look at it I suppose.

That's what I love about short stories, it allows me to get a flavor of an author without delving too deeply into any one story. When I was young I wouldn't touch short stories, now that's one way I find new authors. Think Ellery Queen Mystery Magazine, or Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine.

The lid of my water bottle broke in my bag and wreaked my copy of Vanity Fair. I was looking for excuses to stop reading it but I'm sad to see that happen to any book

My I-pod also got drenched, I am hoping the rice trick works irked.gif

Yikes, hope your I-pod is ok. What is the 'rice trick'?

Forgot to ad... :) I finished The Deep Blue Good-By by John D. MacDonald. Interesting detective series.

Edited by pontalba

Finished I Capture the Castle which left me with an odd feeling, and I'm not sure quite what to make of it, but very British. Have moved on to Catcher In The Rye, and only a few chapters in, but so far it's very American! A complete contrast in language.

You know how sometimes you hear a book / some books being mentioned and for some reason you feel compelled to get them? There is a possibilty that 3 2nd hand (but in great condition) books arrived for me today. :D

Cassandra Clare's 'City Of Bones', 'City Of Ashes' and 'City Of Glass' arrived. Despite the many, many, (far too) many books waiting to be read on my shelves I got these. :blush:

You know how sometimes you hear a book / some books being mentioned and for some reason you feel compelled to get them? There is a possibilty that 3 2nd hand (but in great condition) books arrived for me today. :D

Cassandra Clare's 'City Of Bones', 'City Of Ashes' and 'City Of Glass' arrived. Despite the many, many, (far too) many books waiting to be read on my shelves I got these. :blush:

Ooooh nice! I got the same 3 second hand books (but in great condition) out of a charity shop recently and thoroughly enjoyed all 3! So much so, that I ordered a brand new copy of A Clockwork Angel straight away ;) You'll whizz through them as they're young adult, and are sure to bring your mojo home. Hope you enjoy them :D

I read about 30 pages today while waiting for my OH in the car :)

Yikes, hope your I-pod is ok. What is the 'rice trick'?

It's for phones really. If you get your phone wet you should take it apart and put it in a bowl of rice, the rice will soak up the water. It doesn't seem to be working for my I-pod though :( possibly because I can't take it apart.

I finished Erica Spindler - Blood Vines I was alittle dissapointed to be honest it was a little predictable and nowhere near as good as some of her ealier work. I have decided on little comfort reading now and its gonna be Peter O' Donnell - Dead Mans Handle which is one of his brilliant Modesty Blaise series

I finished two books this week, George Orwell's 1984 and Volume One of Pearl S. Buck's The Story Bible. I'll start Volume Two later today and perhaps return to reading A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. It's either that or Around The World in 80 Days by Jules Verne.

On a side note: See the Google homepage today! It's R L Stevenson's Birthday!

Today, I bought: The Passage by Justin Cronin; Buried Alive by J. A. Kerley; A History of the World in 101/2 Chapters by Julian Barnes; Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke; The Devil's Star, The Snowman & The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo; The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (apologies for this, but I have to read it before I judge it); Angelology by Danielle Trussont and The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell.

Ten books. Go Team Mac!

I also bought the complete box set of The Thick Of It, the BBC television series written and directed by Armando Iannucci, who's something of a hero of mine. Wrong thread for mentioning this, but there you go.

Chips for now.

Today, I bought: The Passage by Justin Cronin; Buried Alive by J. A. Kerley; A History of the World in 101/2 Chapters by Julian Barnes; Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke; The Devil's Star, The Snowman & The Redbreast by Jo Nesbo; The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown (apologies for this, but I have to read it before I judge it); Angelology by Danielle Trussont and The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet by David Mitchell.

Hope you enjoy Jonathan Strange it's one of the few books I hung on to after I'd read it with the intention of reading it again at some point in the future, maybe if I end up washed up on a desert island with my book collection & actually end up getting to the bottom of my TBR pile :blush:

Went into town today so read a bit more of Under the Dome on the bus the jury's still out as to wether I like it or not though :rolleyes:

Jonathan Strange is up on my TBR shelf and is always looking at me dauntingly :blush:. I'm excited to read it soon, though.

I've got 100 pages left of Deja Dead and am hoping to finish it today. This weather has got me in a mood so I'm getting under the covers and won't be coming out until Spring! Grrr.