Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the homestretch of The Man Who Loved Children, just an incredible novel from 1940, though I don't think anyone would use that title nowadays. I hope to finish it this weekend as I will be following bibliofreakblog.com and their November Novella challenge. I'm aiming at Level III - two novellas a week, so I'm busily choosing my eight. Hope to throw in a couple of heavyweights I've always avoided, catch them in their briefer moments, like Don DeLillo or Thomas Bernhard.

I'm half-way through Boyd Morrison's 'The Noah's Ark Quest'. It was bought with 'Pillars of the Earth' (£7 for 2 books at the local supemarket) and I had intended to read 'Pillars' first, but somehow 'Noah's Ark' pushed in! Have to admit I'm quite liking this (albeit predicatable) thriller - shouldn't really judge, as I haven't finished it yet.

Thinking of taking a rest from Vanity Fair, it's just going too slow. High Fidelity arrived yesterday so may read that.

I'm thinking the same with my book. I'm going to put down Crossroads of Twilight for a while and read something that will hopefully be a bit more readable.

I've read about 40 pages of Dragonflight, by Anne McCaffrey, and so far it's reasonably good. A bit too stereotypically fantasy with the names with apostrophes and obscure references, but I'm confident I'll get into it if I keep going a bit longer.

Frankie dragged me around quite a few bookshops today (I love having someone to blame for my book-buying splurges!)

I got a great haul (well, I think so anyway):

John Banville: Birchwood

Sarah Dunant: In the Company of the Courtesan

Zora Neale Hurston: Their Eyes Were Watching God

Damon Knight (ed): A Pocketful of Stars

John Knowles: A Separate Peace

Grace Metalious: Peyton Place

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #6: Wyrd Sisters

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #13: Small Gods

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #29: Night Watch

Ayn Rand: We the Living

Robert Louis Stevenson: Treasure Island

Jonathan Swift: Gulliver's Travels

Vassilis Vassilikos: Z

Irvine Welsh: Trainspotting

Jacqueline Wilson: The Story of Tracy Beaker

Tom Wolfe: The Pump House Gang

Markus Zusak: Fighting Ruben Wolfe

I also bought my Mum a book.

I started Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things then realised I have read it before, no matter its good anyway...Nothing from the library today as I was to rushed but I should have 2 more Jo Nesbo's waiting for me in the office :D on Monday

I actually bought books today, the first books I've bought in months :) Hoping this will re-jig my mojo and the great thing is that they look brand new and only cost £3 :smile2:

The Blue Nowhere - Jeffery Deaver

Excellent haul! You should read The Blue Nowhere immediately! :D

Frankie dragged me around quite a few bookshops today

Oh you poor thing!! I've every confidence you put up a brave fight :giggle2:

I finished Cassandra Clare's City of Ashes and am now half way through City of Glass. A surprisingly great series and a fabulous bargain in a charity shop to boot! :D

I bought a couple of books this week - Catcher in the Rye for the Rory Gilmore challenge, and downloaded Storm Born by Richelle Mead, the first of the Dark Swan series. I downloaded the sample which was the first one and a half chapters, thinking when I've finished some more of the "real" books on my TBR shelf, I could maybe start this series (I'm using the samples option on iBooks and Kindle app like a wishlist!), but ended up starting it to see what it was like, and had to then buy it immediately!

I'm in the middle of The Charming Quirks of Others by Alexander McCall Smith, and will probably finish that tomorrow as well.

I finished Cassandra Clare's City of Ashes and am now half way through City of Glass. A surprisingly great series and a fabulous bargain in a charity shop to boot! :D

So pleased you like them Charm :smile2: CaliLily convinced me to try them one Sunday afternoon on Twitter, and I loved them too, but I have to say the new book she's just published The Clockwork Angel and is sort of a prequel to the Mortal Instruments series, was actually my favourite of them all. Can't wait to read the next in both series next year when they're published. :D

Edited by chesilbeach

Picked a whole lot of books this week.

New:

Dan Brown - The Lost Symbol

Marilyn Monroe - My Story

Used:

David Mitchell - The Thousand Autumns Of Jacob De Zoet

Lawrence Hill - The Book of Negroes

Janet Fitch - White Oleander

Barbara Kingslover - The Poisonwood Bible

Gabriel Garcia Marquez - Love in the Time of Cholera

Elizabeth Kostova - The Historian

Wally Lamb - The Hour I First Believed

Ken Kessey - Sailor Song

Tom Wolfe - A Man in Full

Wow, some excellent hauls made by so many of you! Way to go :D.

I'm pleased to report I've gotten quite a bit of reading in the past couple of days! Finally, after having virtually no time at all. I've got about 120 pages left of Tattoo and am really getting into the story. It had a bit of a slow start for me, but now I'm fully immersed. It has had some gruesome bits, but nothing I've not read before. I'm looking forward to adding the other Larsson books to my collection one day!

Edited by peacefield

Frankie dragged me around quite a few bookshops today (I love having someone to blame for my book-buying splurges!)

I got a great haul (well, I think so anyway):

John Banville: Birchwood

Sarah Dunant: In the Company of the Courtesan

Zora Neale Hurston: Their Eyes Were Watching God

Damon Knight (ed): A Pocketful of Stars

John Knowles: A Separate Peace

Grace Metalious: Peyton Place

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #6: Wyrd Sisters

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #13: Small Gods

Terry Pratchett: Discworld #29: Night Watch

Ayn Rand: We the Living

Robert Louis Stevenson: Treasure Island

Jonathan Swift: Gulliver's Travels

Vassilis Vassilikos: Z

Irvine Welsh: Trainspotting

Jacqueline Wilson: The Story of Tracy Beaker

Tom Wolfe: The Pump House Gang

Markus Zusak: Fighting Ruben Wolfe

I also bought my Mum a book.

Do you have a Nepalese porter to help you when you shop?

I am starting on my Halloween read. It's called Neverland by Douglas Clegg. I have never read anything by this author, so I hope it is as creepy as it sounds.

If anyone is interested in what I think when I am done, let me know. :D

This week I have read The Burning Wire - Jeffery Deaver another good thriller with Lincoln Rhymes and Sachs.

and Blindsighted - Karin Slaughter I enjoyed this thriller but I guessed the "baddie" much too early in the book.

Now I'm going to start First Casualty - Ben Elton. :readingtwo:

Chesilbeach - let me know how you go with Stormborn. This is definitely on my wishlist as I've read the other 2 series by Richelle Mead. In particular I love her Georgina Kincaid series - it gets better with each book.

I am also meaning to read the Mortal Instruments prequel but am waiting for it to come out in smaller paperback format as it's a bit too pricey at present.

Over the last couple days I've read about 150 pages of Vanity Fair and finally feel like I'm on a roll with it. But I've also got books back to the library that I have to get through - not sure whether to pause and read the library books. But this risks me losing impetus on Vanity Fair again.

I am about to gather myself and wander up to the pub with my book Surface Detail by Iain M. Banks and have two leisurely pints of Timothy Taylor's Landlord. It's a day off, it's been a hard week and I've earned it. cool.gif

Chesilbeach - let me know how you go with Stormborn. This is definitely on my wishlist as I've read the other 2 series by Richelle Mead. In particular I love her Georgina Kincaid series - it gets better with each book.

Well, I finished it this morning! I love the Vampire Academy series, and I read the first Georgina Kincaid, which I thought was okay, but didn't grab enough to be desperate to carry on with the series. Having said that, they're available on the Kindle app, so I might well get round to them at some point. Back to Storm Born, and I have to say, I liked it a lot. More than the Kincaid books, but not as much as the VA books. I'm going to download book 2, Thorn Queen later today, so that shows how much I liked it. Definitely in the adult category of her books though, not for YA market.

I almost finished Tattoo last night in bed, had I not fallen asleep! I also read some this morning in bed but again, I was dozing off, so...:giggle:

I've got 60 pages left so I'll be finishing it at some point today. I have to say, and I'm not sure if I should be embarassed by this fact or not, but I didn't see the end coming. I think I read by someone on BCF that the ending was guessed early on and here I am, having no clue! It was very much a surprise, which obviously made it an excellent read :D.

So pleased you like them Charm :smile2: CaliLily convinced me to try them one Sunday afternoon on Twitter, and I loved them too, but I have to say the new book she's just published The Clockwork Angel and is sort of a prequel to the Mortal Instruments series, was actually my favourite of them all. Can't wait to read the next in both series next year when they're published. :D

Ooh this sounds interesting, I will definitely look into it! :D I finished City Of Glass today and I have to say ... Wow! What an amazing series, I loved it! So entertaining and the characters were fantastic :D Not sure what to read now ...