Your Book Activity Today ~ Thread 13

Chrissy

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reading Dark Flame by Alyson Noel which is a YA book.

It's such rubbish I don't even know why I'm bothering. I really couldn't understand the motivations of the characters from the beginning. It's a bit like why some people hated Twilight. The main male character, Damen, was such an arse to the female character, Ever, but she still fell in love with him. That was the first book and the characters are still making stupid decisions. So now I find myself 4 books into the series and still reading. Why why why can't I just stop?

I'm 450 pages into Steven Erikson's The Bonehunters. Only another 800 pages to go ...

I had to return the first Erikson book from his series to the library but I'm still aiming to give it another go at some point.

I'm reading Dark Flame by Alyson Noel which is a YA book.

It's such rubbish I don't even know why I'm bothering. I really couldn't understand the motivations of the characters from the beginning. It's a bit like why some people hated Twilight. The main male character, Damen, was such an arse to the female character, Ever, but she still fell in love with him. That was the first book and the characters are still making stupid decisions. So now I find myself 4 books into the series and still reading. Why why why can't I just stop?

I had to return the first Erikson book from his series to the library but I'm still aiming to give it another go at some point.

Sometimes its because you just can't help yourself and you keep reading the books no matter what I recently read the third part of a book even though I moaned the whole way through that it was just so stupid, luckily it was a library book and I hadn't bought it.

I am part of the way through Retribution Falls it is good but I just know its going to be part of a series and that when I get to the end there will be a part 2... I haven't dared look yet...why can't fantasy writers just write a stand alone book :irked:

I'm at the halfway mark in Closing Time & still enjoying it. I also bought more books yesterday

Under the Dome Stephen King I haven't read any King for quite a few years but decided to give this one a go & for 50p it doesn't really matter if I don't like it.

Ivanhoe Sir Walter Scott

The Black Echo & Black Ice Michael Connelly I've not read anything by him before but read some good reviews & thought I'd see if it's my cup of tea.

The World is Not Enough Zoe Oldenbourg

Pinkerton's Sister Peter Rushforth.

I actually bought books today, the first books I've bought in months :) Hoping this will re-jig my mojo and the great thing is that they look brand new and only cost £3 :smile2:

The Blue Nowhere - Jeffery Deaver

Keeping Faith - Jodi Picoult

Playing Away - Adele Parks

Inconceivable - Ben Elton

Dead Famous - Ben Elton

Frankie and I took some books to a secondhand bookstore and got some credit, so I bought:

Terry Pratchett: The Discworld Companion

Markus Zusak: ....

Argh! I just realised that the Zusak book I bought (When Dogs Cry) is the exact same book as Getting the Girl, which Frankie gave me a while ago. Grr, I hate when they change the title of a book! :irked:

Edited by Kylie

Frankie and I took some books to a secondhand bookstore and got some credit, so I bought:

Terry Pratchett: The Discworld Companion

Markus Zusak: ....

Argh! I just realised that the Zuzak book I bought (When Dogs Cry) is the exact same book as Getting the Girl, which Frankie gave me a while ago. Grr, I hate when they change the title of a book! :irked:

What????? *curse words* I hate it when they do that!! :irked: No fun, we were really looking forward to reading that! :(

I bought:

Jasper Fforde: The Well of Lost Plots (which Kylie found for me!)

Ann Patchett: Truth & Beauty (Rory book)

And just as I was walking home I found the Salvation Army and went to check out their book collection and got me these:

Susan Faludi: Backlash (Rory book)

Simone de Beauvoir: The Second Sex (which I've been looking for ages! and which is partly for my thesis as well)

What????? *curse words* I hate it when they do that!! :irked: No fun, we were really looking forward to reading that! :(

I bought:

Jasper Fforde: The Well of Lost Plots (which Kylie found for me!)

Ann Patchett: Truth & Beauty (Rory book)

And just as I was walking home I found the Salvation Army and went to check out their book collection and got me these:

Susan Faludi: Backlash (Rory book)

Simone de Beauvoir: The Second Sex (which I've been looking for ages! and which is partly for my thesis as well)

:giggle2: More books for you. Technically I only bought one then, and you bought three. Yes!

Oh, I remember them mentioning Susan Faludi in an episode, but I can't remember what it was in reference to.

Received Mr. Rosenblum's List: Or Friendly Guidance for the Aspiring Englishman by Natasha Solomons and I am enjoying 'Of Bees and Mist' by Erick Setiawan :)

My boyfriends mother is donating a bunch of books to a second hand store and she let me rummage through the boxes first. I picked up:

The Complete Works of William Shakespeare: Volume 1

Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett

The Sweet Hereafter by Russell Banks

Julius by Daphne Du Maurier

Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman

Cruel Shoes by Steve Martin

Songs in Ordinary Time by Mary McGarry Morris

I ran into the local 1/2 Price Books today and came away with the following, for only $2.00 a piece! :D

The Book of Air and Shadows by Michael Gruber

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

How to Buy a Love of Reading by Tanya Egan Gibson

Cheap books, yay!

The book I'm reading (Pavane, by Keith Roberts) just threw me for a loop by turning into what seems to be a series of connected stories (rather than being one on-going story).

It's put a whole different light on the first section of the book, which I assumed was the introduction to the book’s main characters.

Interesting.

I'm up to page 930 of Atlas Shrugged. Only 140 pages to go!

I'm 10 pages in to a section about 60 pages long which consists of nothing but a philosophical lecture. It doesn't sound so bad, but with small print it's going to take a while to get through. It's interesting, but I wonder if it will all be necessary. I feel like I'm being told the same thing over and over but in slightly different words. Still, considering I thought the entire book was going to be like this section, I can grin and bear it. :D <-- See?

I am reading Boris Akunin's - She Lover of Death I love the quirkiness of the characters yeah its a whodunnit but at the same time its an opener into Russia at the turn of the century. I am also part way through Rapscallion - James McGee and finished a re-read of Peter O'Donnells - Modesty Blaise which I love.