Most re-released film?

Suburbanite

I think, unless anyone can correct me, it has to be Star Wars (I.e. the saga).

I’ve just heard they’re releasing it all in 3D.

How many different versions of this film are they going to make?

I’m al ready refusing to buy it on Blu-ray because I have at least two different versions on DVD, plus I think the 1997 re-mastered version on VHS box set.

Okay, rant over.

Please - rant away!

It would be nice to see George Lucas make a NEW film, rather than keep releaseing old ones!

Ian

Personally, I think it's a mistake to release a 3D version unless it was originally shot in 3D as the quality is never as good. All the production companies are at it though - take, for example, the Harry Potter films (of course, I've extended beyond what is currently available, but you can see it's going to happen this way already):

- First film is released on DVD

- Special edition is relieased on DVD

- 2nd film released

- special editon of 2nd film released

- 3rd film released

- special edition released

- box set of films 1-3 released

- special collectors' box set of films 1-3 released

- 4th film released

- special edition

- 5th film released

- special edition

- 6th film released

- special edition

- 7th film pt 1 released

- special edition

- 7th film part 2 released

- special edition

- special editon of pts 1 & 2 of 7th film together

- special collectors' box set of all films (with parts 1 & 2 of film 7 on seperate disks)

- special collectors' box set of all films (with parts 1 & 2 of film 7 on same disk)

- 3d editions of each movie released individually

- special 3D box set edition released of all 7 movies together

- 10th anniversary special collectors' editions of each film individually released

- 10th anniversary special collectors' edition box set of all 7 films released

- same for 25th anniversary

This is happening for more and more franchises now. Just look at how many different versions and box sets and collectors' editions there are of the Twilight films and they've not finished filming that series yet - and the last one is getting split in two as well, if I remember correctly!

It's all about squeezing as much cash out of the fans as possible. Even Cameron rereleased Avater back into the cinemas not long after its first run - with a few minutes of extra footage o entice people to come back and see it again, even if they'd already seen it - a total scam if you ask me!

Back to the Future was on at our local cinema the other week.

Ah, but that's only the second time it's been out of the box in 25 years (and it was pretty cool in the cinema).

I understand the points made about Star Wars above, but I'd personally prefer Lucas to go and lock himself in a dark room for the rest of time than have to sit through another prequel.

If they ever release properly remastered original versions of the original trilogy on DVD or Blu Ray I'll be there like a shot, but for now, Lucas has had all the money he's going to get out of me.

I'm not sure this counts if I go specifically by the notion that it is the same film re-released theatrically, but a very good nominee for most-released film on any format has to be Night Of The Living Dead. When it was first released, due to the credits being altered at the last minute for reasons which escape me at the moment, they neglected to place a copyright notice on the final print. This led to revival shows without payment to either the distributors or George A Romero. Later, when the video boom hit, it was released by various companies simultaneously, some with the copyright shown over the film, some without the copyright notice. By the late 80s this led to Tom Savini (FX guru of Dawn Of The Dead) directing a remake starring Patricia Tallman and Tony Todd. This was slightly altered from the original script, but wasn't as successful.

The early 00's (noughties? can anyone think of a better term?) the original was re-released on DVD (again, several companies competing) with the remake appearing on the shelves as well. One year's Halloween television output was notable for their being a showing of Night Of The Living Dead on various channels for over three continuous days (overlapping, so the full run of this insanity was even longer). There was talk of a further remake, but by this point in the sorry saga I had pretty much given up on keeping score of who was doing what with the film. And yes, the original is now available on BluRay, with cinema screenings still taking place occasionally...

Somehow it is fitting that I write this on the verge of Halloween rolling around again.