Do you read magazines often?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't read that many magazines.

I but a few of the cheapy Take a Break types for the puzzles and my OH buys music mags like Kerrang and Metal Hammer which I pinch off him and read also.

One of my friends reads Bizare which I borrow when he's finished with them.

I think that's about it.

I hardly ever read magazines. The only time I do read them is when I go home to my parents and I'll read the ones Mum has saved for me. I'm just much more of a book person I guess :D

I do remember reading more magazines when I was a teenager though. I remember we had a store that sold a few British magazines, I wish could remember the names... Then they stopped selling them and I started frequenting this 7/11 kind of thingie and moaned to the owner how they didn't have those magazines, and then she started ordering a couple of issues of those magazines every month, just for me :lol: She even gave me a candybar once because I was such a happy customer :friends0: Those were the days!

I used to read alot of magazines on various topics but now I only read BBC Wildlife (subscribed for 5 years now), the odd Metal Hammer, National Geographic & New Scientist when the content takes my fancy.

I have a few Bite Me (vampire mag) and Orkus (Goth mag) that I keep.

I just threw a load of my old music and spirituality magazines out that were collecting dust.

If there is another magazine laying beside me and i'm bored enough I will flick through it but I tend to steer clear of gossip mags although my grandma gets loads and keeps them for me when I visit - I flick through when bored.

I used to read a lot of them - several Pagan and New Age magazines and also movie ones such as Empire, Total Film, etc, and a few sci-fi ones such as SFX magazine, but nowadays the only mags I ever read are cross stitch ones.

Edited by Kell

Bite Me

You shouldn't have told us what it was!

Bite Me: For angry secretaries everywhere . . .

I buy SFX (sci-fi) and ImagineFX (digital fantasy & science fiction art) every month, and Doctor Who Magazine, Private Eye, New Scientist and National Geographic occasionally.

I've been buying SFX since issue 2, waaay back in the early/mid nineties, but I'm starting to think that I might stop because it doesn't really offer me anything I can't get online for free.

I dip in and out of some of the home magazines .. 'Country Living' is one I like, the photography in it is always stunning.

I like the 'Sainsbury's Magazine' and always get that if I can, also 'The Radio Times' is a must every week.

If 'Muse' or 'Radiohead' are featured then 'Q', 'NME' or 'Kerrang' will come home.

I aways get a copy of 'Books Quarterly' from Waterstones whenever there's a new issue.

If I like the look of the designs I might buy a cross stitch magazine (but now they're all in plastic covers it's so hard to flick).

I usually buy a 'Puzzler Monthly' too.

I've just discovered ... I spend too much on magazines.

I really miss Death Ray now that was a mag worth buying

I used to buy that, before it went bi (or was it tri?) monthly. It was an interesting read, but they never appeared to have the right funding in place and struggled from the outset. I still think there is a gap in the market for a more thoughtful main-stream science fiction magazine.

I subscribe to a few of them - Readers Digest, Writing Magazine and Kindred Spirit. We also get Paradigm Shift and More 2 Life free, as my partner does their websites (used to in the case of PS).

I occasionally read Nexus or KMT (magazine for Egyptologists). Haven't read either for a while, although with the news this week of the DNA studies on King Tut and his family, I may soon be seeking out KMT again.

I really miss Death Ray now that was a mag worth buying

Especially as it had the best in-depth articles on old novels, comics and other weird stuff. There may be hope for it returning in another form at some point though - at least a dozen magazines in the last few years have found a new lease of life on the net.

I don't really read magazines - I did try buying a couple of Writing magazines once but they all turned out to be 99% marketing and 1% craft oriented, so I desisted. I'll buy the occasional Philosophy Now though, and really should get round to getting that subscription...!

Am cutting back on magazines and spending the money on books instead. Up until recently I subscribed to NME and T3 (gadget magazine) and often bought Stuff and Q also, with the occasional film mag thrown in.

However I now realise I can get most of the info on magazines on websites and they are no where near as enjoyable as a book but about the same price. So have not bought any the last 2 months.

I used to buy a lot of magazines, mainly fashion magazines, but I was astounded when I totalled how much I'd spent one month. Now I limit myself to Glamour Magazine which is published once a month and I pick up a free copy of Planning Magazine every other week from uni. I also love the weekend supplements in the Guardian and Observer.