How does Your Bookshelf Grow?

I had to move mine around lately, so I'm not sure if they're still sorted properly (space was at a premium so I had to fit them where I could).

They way my books should be sorted though, is into categories such as:

Insider accounts (books by people connected with The Beatles in some way, such as relatives, employees, former managers and band members)

Books written by The Beatles themselves (Anthology, John's prose, Ringo's Postcards from the Boys etc)

Book written about The Beatles (all those sorts of 'general' books - and I have them in sub-groups for the band itself, and each individual Beatle)

Pictorials

Lyrics and Making Of books (books about their song lyrics and how they made certain albums. It may also include the more detailed or 'technical' books, such as Lewisohn's Chronicle)

You know, I'm having a really bad day today. The more I think about this, the more I can't remember if this is how my books are categorised or how I think they should be categorised. :lol: Or maybe I've just remembered Giulia's system. :blush: Wait, I'm pretty sure Giulia and I organise them similarly, so once she posts I'll remember how mine are sorted. ;)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm...this is interesting. We have 4 bookcases, 2 large and 2 small. In our first large one, which is nicer than the other and in our living room, I have our nicer classics on the top shelf (like the old editions and leather-bound editions), my Tolkien, Hemingways, and my Bleach Vol. 1 Collector's Edition on the second shelf, my large-sized books and a few favorites on the middle shelf, our John Grishams and my Amy Tans and Marion Zimmer Bradleys on the 4th shelf, and all my boyfriend's Tom Clancys and Robert Ludlums on the bottoms shelf.

The second large bookcase, which is in our office, is a hodge podge of paperback classics that BF and I have been collecting for years, all my Neil Gaimans, most of my favorites, and a large portion of my TBR pile. More of my TBR books are piled on top of my desk, which is unusable for that reason. :blush:

Our two small bookcases are in our bedroom. One houses BF's books, mainly his TBR pile (mostly all Greek and Roman histories, Plato, Livy, Twain, Hemingway, and military histories). The one on my side of the bed contains all my Japanese literature and Japanese history books, the few Bleach manga volumes I have, some of my oldest and most favorite paperbacks (old John Saul, Stephen King, and other random thrillers from my early teen years), all my Murakami books, and the rest of my TBR pile.

I keep all of my decorating books under my coffee table, and piled and stacked on the floor of my living room.

The rest of our books are in boxes in the closet in our laundry room.

Holy ****. I have too many books! They're taking over my house!

You guys catalogue your Beatles books? Please share! I'd love that!

Books about/by The Beatles as a band; books about/by individual Beatles in classic John-Paul-George-Ringo order; books that don't fit into either of the above categories :blush: within individual categories, I try to have huge shiny hardbacks first and tiny paperbacks last.

I have too many books!
Quick, we need a medic - she used the words 'too many' and 'books' in the same sentence!!!

Quick, we need a medic - she used the words 'too many' and 'books' in the same sentence!!!

Fine, fine, don't bother calling a medic. But if you hear about me drowning under a sea of my own books, you'd better feel guilty!

Maybe I should just buy another bookcase....

I have...let's see...three bookcases in my bedroom, four in my wee sitting room, and another at the top of the stairs. Books 'on the shelf' are generally those that I'm most likely to want to read, plus those of authors who are still alive and writing.

Then I have two ottomans, also filled with books, one with mostly kids books.

Then I have the...hang on a sec...12 at least, boxes in the attic-space off my bedroom. These are almost organised, I can put my hand to most books if I'm looking for them, though single-book authors are a pain to find. It's always a sad day when an author is relegated from 'the shelf' to 'the box', but sometimes I just plain run out of space.

In the bookcases themselves, any series is arranged in order, though the authors aren't in alphabetical order, more 'however I can get them to fit best'. Plus the two tall bookcases in the sitting room have my "early 20th century crime fiction collection"...except for the ones that ended up in boxes for lack of space!

Upstairs we have four large bookcases, and three long rows of book shelves.

We keep reference, hobby and most of our non fiction and Classic books.

Downstairs we have three large bookcases, and two 3 shelf built-in units.

This holds all fiction, books relating to holidays, maps and waterways books. One of the two built-in units is devoted to crime and thrillers (mainly mine).

At the moment the downstairs shelves are overflowing and overwhelmed. We are going through them gradually, sorting out those that won't be re-read an those that we should not had bought in the first place. The 'problem' is that the books just keep coming! :)

My books are just shoved in anywhere they will fit! I have 3 bookcases which I put my books in, but they are all shared. I've also devoted a shelf on my shelves to books and have a few piles littered around the house that need putting somewhere but that I have no place for!

I have 2 bookshelves side by side with all my DVDs and books. I have recently arranged the DVDs by genre but the books are not in the same order. The books are more stacked by "literature for school", "unread pocket", "read pocket" and "mix of everything". The order could be better! But I must say I

I write down everything I read (books, not magazines, not enough time to keep track of them!) in a little notebook. I also keep a note of anything interesting about the book, like if it was given to me as a gift or if I got it for a great price etc. I give them a score out of 5 and a quick review. If I think I'll read it again I keep it, if I think it's a one read book I give it away, sell it or recycle it.

At the end of each year I count up how many I've read, and then either congratulate myself or tell myself to try harder, haha ;).

Keepers and TBR are stacked in neat little piles all over the house, some of them fit in the book cases but admittedly not many anymore as they are full up!

Well......as some of you might know, I'm taking in a lodger when my BF moves away to help with the bills and unfortunately the only bookcase in the house was in the spare room and too big to put anywhere else. I bought a slim set of shelves from Ikea to put in my bedroom but they're not really big so I was set to pack up most of my books and send them off to my Mam's house. Needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper!

Anyway, I came home from work one day to find that my BF had dismantled the dining table and bought three new sets of shelves from ikea that make a nice corner mini-library area. How lovely is that! So now.....

The first set of shelves in the living room holds my YA fiction, vampire fiction, sleezy fiction (like chuck palahniuk, Irvine Welsh, etc), big books like Encyclopedias and uni related text books.

The second set holds my classics, historical fiction, crime and some non-fiction (mainly about the Tudors)

The third set holds a mixture of fiction, non-fiction, dvds and photos.

In the bedroom I've got a random mix of books that don't have any order and the set in the spare room are empty but are soon to be filled by Phil (new lodger) who loves to read too :D

I've only ever had one set of shelves and a sort of display cabinet shelf thingymebob so I keep changing it around and reorganising. It's like Christmas! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I only have one bookshelf and it's nearly full now. I have my YA books at my parents house but if I got the it would defiantly be full and then some. I tries to organize the by series or authors but now it's mostly a mess....I'll fix that as soon as possible.

My books outgrew my bookshelves years ago and they are doubled up and in piles next to them and all over the place, considering I live on my own in a 2 bedroom house i really need to get organised. :D

I have part of them logged on Shelfari so that's how I keep track of them. Mostly what I've bought recently, and some of the old ones. As far as how I organize them, I don't have a system. English books separate from Romanian and that's more or less it. I just arrange them by height.

We have bookshelves and bookcases everywhere all over th house. There are shelves in the living room, dining room, upstairs hallway and in our bedroom. We also have various tables around the house stacked with books. Every so often we have a clear out but then more books just seem to appear

Laura, he's promoting the fact people should read as opposed to watch TV shows, so how can you not be sure about the guy..

• 4 weeks later...

I decided to organise my bookcase today. It's a cheap little chipboard monstrosity from argos or something so I had to be creative to cram all of my books back in. I need a better solution. Where do you guys keep your books? I've seen them in the weirdest places, on the windowsill, in the bathroom, propping up the car from when the wheels were sold. Also, how do you categorise your books, by author, by subject? I'm just curious. Go! Answer now!

I still live at my parents' house, so most of my books are in my bedroom.

I've got 3x6ft shelves, and the top shelf has stacks of books on top of the row of books. These shelves are for my favourite fantasy (Brooks, Goodkind, etc).

I've got a 4 shelf bookcase, which has on it my favourite-favourite fantasy books (Tolkien, King, Fforde etc).

I've got a two-drawer unit on 1.5ft legs, so there's plenty of room for books under there. These are my children's fantasy books (Rowling, Sage, Lewis, etc). My thrillers are on top of this unit (Ludlum etc).

Above the two drawer unit I have another shelf which stores my poetry and drama (Shakespeare, Chaucer, Poe, etc).

I've got a two-door cupboard, which stores my special and first editions. My non fiction are kept on top of this cupboard.

My bed has full length cupboard space underneath, where I keep horror, family sagas, romance (Stoker, Koontz, Virginia Andrews, Penny Vincenzi etc) and general fiction.

Graphic novels are stored in a neat stack next to the computer.

And my collections are stored in the attic. These are mostly made up of rare but not first editions. Namely Tolkien. About 12 to 15 boxes in all I think.

Additionally, I have a couple of stacks of books on the floor. Mostly borrowed books, either from mum or the library which I've started using again.

The living room has a wide window sill where any books I think my mum will enjoy end up on a fairly temporary basis. There are about 2 dozen there at the moment.

And we have sharesies in the bathroom on the window sill. Things like Jeremy Clarkson and Top Gear, Simon's Cat, and so on.

My bedroom has a walk-in closet, and one end of this contains my classics such as Austen, Dickens, Bronte Sisters, and modern classics like Catch 22 and 1984.

I've also gotten hold of a couple of two-drawer desk cabinets, which will house any homeless books and any future purchases.

Once they're full, I am going to ask my neighbours to move out so I can use their house as my library.

Any little nook and cranny can be used for book storage. You just have to sacrifice buying other things.