Comfort Authors

If there is a thread like this already, or a significant overlap, major slap on the wrist for me, but I couldn't find one!

So I went into my local charity shop today and saw two books, one by Christopher Pike and one by James Herbert. I love both authors, even though I've never read the vast majority of their novels, just because the ones I HAVE read have been consistently entertaining, easy reads. Nothing amazing, nothing life-changing. Just comfortable, enjoyable reads.

So I'm wondering - do you guys have any particular comfort authors? Ones whom you can always read even with a missing mojo, whom you always come back to to restore your faith in a much-abused genre, or whose books you will always buy JUST because it goes without saying that you will enjoy it? Are these authors/books heavily involved, based in a certain genre, mindless entertainment?

Thoughts, ideas, comments! :lol:

Ben Elton books tend to be part of my "go-to" comfort collection, along with Kelley Armstrong and Terry Pratchett. After that, it's the likes of Christopher Brookmyre, Stuart Macbride and Simon Scarrow. Strangely, I seldon re-read those ones, but I like to keep them in my permanent collection. They're all authors I collect as their books are released too. :lol:

If I'm looking to re-read, my two main go-to books are Ronia, The Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren and The Chrosnicles of Narnia by C S Lewis - I know them pretty much back to front and upside down by now, but I always enjoy them and they make me feel very cosy inside - they give me the warm fuzzies. every time. :lol:

I go through phases of authors! Used to be Marian Keyes, Erica James, Sheila O'Flanagan, Cathy Kelly and Patricia Scanlan!

My taste seems to change every few years though.

At the minute mine would be Jodi Picoult, Katie Fforde and Agatha Christie!

Horror and Chick-Lit are actually my two comfort genres, surprisingly. Pike is more Young Adult, but it's morbid stuff :lol:

Pike's Chain Letter is one of my all time favourite novels, and although he as a whole is one of my main comfort authors, that particular book is my favourite YA Horror book ever. I think it's incredible. I've read it easily more than 10 times.

As for chick-lit - Anita Shreve. I just love her books. I've only read two or three, but I find them so easy to read, quite credible and quite mature in their topics and execution.

Funnily enough, I'll virtually never read horror or chick-lit actively unless my mojo is on the fritz.

Comfort authors of the 'I'll re-read your work whenever I need a metaphorical cuddle blankie' variety are Douglas Adams and Ferenc Molnar (author of the The Pal Street Boys).

Comfort authors of the 'I'd buy a shopping list with your name on it' variety are Jasper Fforde, Terry Pratchett, Neil Gaiman - in that order.

My literary comfort food is and always will be Harry Potter. :lol: Its just one of those worlds that is so easy to get lost in and no matter how many times I reread the books they never seem to get old.

I have quite a few authors whose books I will buy because I know I will enjoy and feel comfortable with, and will often save until my reading mojo is wavering (I usually manage to save it before it's gone completely!).

Anita Shreve, Cynthia Harrod-Eagles, Sue Grafton, Kathy Reichs, Linda Fairstein, Donna Leon, John Grisham and Michael Connelly all come into that category for me. Even if a book isn't their best, I know it will be an easy read for me and something I will look forward to in the evening even if I'm really stressed.

I would say that chick-lit and YA would be my default comfort reads and one name for me is the ultimate comfort read, Meg Cabot.

I also tend to have a hankering for travel and tales of moving abroad, and I always come back to Annie Hawes for a comforting, entertaining and funny read to ease me back into that style of book.

Dorothy L Sayers and Karin Slaughter often rejuvenate my flagging mojo. They are both crime writers, but from opposing ends of the crime spectrum.

The other authors are Angie Sage with her Septimus Heap series, and Philip Pullman's Dark Materials triliogy.

I guess my comfort authors would be Tolkien, Jane Austen, and Charles Dickens. I just find it comforting to read an author I know well and a book that has been there for me before.

I have collected so many comfort books over the years. They are usually humourous. P.G.Wodehouse, Gerald Durrell, Lillian Beckwith, James Herriot are all authors I've read over and over again. I think comfort books are particularly helpful when you are depressed, it's like going to a familiar safe place.

For me it would have to be authors from when I was younger such as Roald Dahl and JK Rowling. I can lose myself in their works even when highly stressed or distracted by real life issues.

i think some of my comfort authors include Agatha Christie and Conan Doyle, otherwise I also read so easy reading romntic crime thriller stuff, Jayne Anne Krentz or Linda Howard.

I agree with JK Rowling, PG Wodehouse and Roald Dahl. I'm badly in need of a Roald Dahl book at the moment, I think.

John Marsden's Tomorrow series is probably my biggest comfort. Those characters are my friends and I love to revisit them over and over.

I usually turn to chick-lit for my comfort reads so I'll have to go with with Nicholas Sparks and Sophie Kinsella.

I will always come back to Iris Johansen or Johanna Lindsey, depending on my mood of the day.

elindson, I'd love to know what your favorite Johansen book is. I read her Eve Duncan series (The Face of Deception, Body of Lies, and The Killing Game) a few years ago and really liked it, but I didn't know where to go after that since she has so many books to choose from.

I have collected so many comfort books over the years. They are usually humourous. P.G.Wodehouse, Gerald Durrell, Lillian Beckwith, James Herriot are all authors I've read over and over again. I think comfort books are particularly helpful when you are depressed, it's like going to a familiar safe place.

The Herriot books are definitely some of my "comfort" books, in spite of the fact they bring tears to my eyes half the time. They are great.

I used to re-re-reread the Merlin Trilogy of Mary Stewart's. The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills, and The Last Enchantment. I think each one was my favorite at one time or the other. Just wonderful portrayals of the relationships.

Another comfort favorite is Malevil by Robert Merle. No matter how many times I read it, I love it all over again.

^Ditto, sort of. In that genre I just read Laurell Hamilton, but I haven't read the last two books yet because honestly, I think 15 to 22 euros is too much money for a bad quality paperback. :blush: And I don't miss it. Might pick it up again, her books used to be my comfort reading, I loved and knew the characters so well.

Now, it's more Jacqueline Carey, because her world is so vivid to me, and her books are very emotional, and full of wanderings to far off places, guess I need that now. I can pick up her books anytime, and I always love them.

For me it would have to be Mr. Pratchett. I find him very easy to read, not to mention clever and hilarious, so if I'm ever feeling like reading is becoming hard work I tend to hark back to him. Thankfully, I haven't even exhausted the Discworld series yet!

Another is the Bronte sisters. Purely coincidentally, every time I pick up a Bronte work it tends to apply quite specifically to my life at that point in time. I tend to be reassured by Bronte books and pick up lessons from them, too.

I've never really given any thought to this before, but now that I think about it, for me a comfort read has to be in Finnish, and something I've already read before. I'll usually go for this Finnish old-school chick-lit writer, or some YA novel from my childhood. Maybe even for Bridget Jones (I don't mind reading that in English though). I guess I don't have any particular comfort authors, just as long as the book is a re-read.

Patricia McKillip is definitely a comfort read for me. I love her poetic prose and her fantasy worlds always take me far away from the stress of real life.

Another comfort author is Ray Bradbury. His style is so breezy and friendly for the most part.

My ultimate comfort reads are Conan Doyle (SH stories) and H E Bates, usually the Darling Buds of May series but any of his other books as well. I can also pick up an Ellis Peters book (Brother Cadfael series) even if my mojo has disappeared.