All-time favorite mystery/crime/thriller novel?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had difficulty answering this one, too. I loved 'The Woman in White' and also most of Colin Dexter's 'Inspector Morse' stories but, if forced to choose one then it would be a P D James. But the trouble is - which one? .... Ermm - I'll get back to you!

Edited by Ophelia

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have read many fascinating thrillers, especially by Elizabeth George (does anyone know her?)

Currently my favourite has to be "Well-schooled in murder" by Elizabeth George herself.

I don't read a lot of mystery/crime/thriller books but I did enjoy 'The Black Dahlia' by James Ellroy and 'No Time For Goodbye' by Linwood Barclay, I like how both of them were done, especially 'The Black Dahlia', great story :)

Almost an impossible question to answer, in my opinion.

There are sub-genres within the genre.

My first experience with the detection stories was Sherlock Holmes, the short stories were the subject for study in one year in my grammar school. I enjoyed them so much I used to get up early to read them before going off to school.

My elder sister was a big Agatha Christie fan and I used to read her books when she had finished with them (I remember reading one in one sitting, think it was WHY DIDN'T THEY ASK EVANS}. I thought Poirot was a wonderful character.

I then moved on to authors such as Alastair MacLean, I thought THE GUNS OF NAVARONE was an excellent book at the time and is one of the few books in this genre that I have re-read.

Now I like to read police procedurals, courtroom thrillers, political conspiracy type books.

Tastes change and a book you once thought highly of, if re-read now might diaappoint.

• 1 month later...

Wow, tricky one this !! I have always liked Espionnage thrillers, and The Devil'S Alternative by Forsyth would be hard to beat as a Twist in the Tail type book. Crime thrillers - I am currently into Craig Russell's series abot Jan Fabel in Hamburg's murder squad. Robert Ludlum always wrote quality thrillers, with The Parsilfal Mosaic, Aquitaine Progression and the two Materese novels up with the best of them.

• 1 month later...

Prob the best thriller/crime book in the world.... shatter by Michael Robotham...if you have not read now do yourself a favour and beg steal or borrow a copy it is fantastico!! :D

Hmmmm...

I have a lot of books of that kind in my head right now but I think my favorite is "The big four" by Agatha Christie...

I like most of her books actually!!!

John Grisham and Ian Rankin are quite good at writing mystery novels too!!! :readingtwo:

I don't read a lot of mystery/crime/thriller books but I did enjoy 'The Black Dahlia' by James Ellroy and 'No Time For Goodbye' by Linwood Barclay, I like how both of them were done, especially 'The Black Dahlia', great story :)

^Still the same, I am going to add the Harper Connelly series by Charlaine Harris, I would consider them mystery/thriller. :)

Weave, I forget, have you read Too Close to Home by Barclay? That was a real page turner for me. Haven't yet read NTfG but it's on my TBR :)

I haven't read it Frankie yet but I do have a copy, I am determined to get around to reading it. :)Thanks for the info, I enjoyed NTFG :)

Edited by Weave

• 3 months later...

If I can have 2 - which is cheating I know, but ...

The ABC murders by Agatha Christie, love all of them but this was the first one I ever read.. many moons ago

A Place Of Execution by Val Mcdermid, once I started reading it I could not put this book down and in my opinion is better than her Tony Hill/ Carol \Jordan series although I like the earlier ones of this series too.