Stephen King

Michelle

Did you think so? In my opinion the Dark Tower series always felt like a second rate sci-fi series written by an author who never seemed fully comfortable with his material. They are great books no doubt but they lack that certain spark that i get from most of his other works. I file the series under 'Nice try, stick to the day job'.

Four Past Midnight was more a collection of short stories than novellas, in the same vein as Just After Sunset which was released in 2008. Perhaps you mean Different Seasons? This contained 4 novellas, 3 of which are celebrated as critically acllaimed movies (The Shawshawk Redemption, Stand by Me and Apt Pupil, based on the respective novellas Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, The Body and Apt Pupil; the less said about the fourth book in that series the better...).

I loved the Tower books! They were really unique and refreshing for King after reading a lot of his work, there was something alluring about joining Roland on his quest and dipping in and out of that world. There are places where it seems convoluted and a little too adventurous, but that is the point of writing, to explore, and I think King did that really well in those novels. The plot is ridiculously over arching and the adventure, sprawling, and that's what I love about it, he's carried that idea for well over the majority of his own life and he finished it, for better or worse, as he said. I really love the series :lol:

Four Past Midnight consists of four novellas, starting with The Langoliers and Secret Window, Secret Garden, which i've read, then The Library Policeman and The Sun Dog, which I am yet to read, so FD,NS seems similar to that. Everything's Eventual and Nightmares and Dreamscapes have a ton of shorts in.

I am yet to get onto Different Seasons, but am really looking forward to Shawshank and The Body as they are pretty highly regarded. I am not as excited as I could be about this new venture, the stories themselves don't sound too intriguing, but you can't really judge a book too much by a synopsis. I love the premise for a potential sequel to The Shining more, Doctor Sleep and would prefer a novel as I disliked 'Dome despite the work sai King put in.

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On digging out the copy I have now, I see that it is described as "for the first time, the complete and uncut edition". Has anyone read this, as opposed to the originally published edition, which was the one I read?

Yes I read the uncut one. It's a mammoth book but worth it. I haven't read the abridged version. I know a lot of people here have read the unabridged one, and I'm pretty certain most would recommend that one.

I cannot recommend The Stand enough, and if you want the definitive version then go for the Complete and Uncut version (1990), its not only the best book King has ever written, its one of the best books ever written, period. King doesnt put a foot wrong in his classic tale of good vs evil and im hoping the forthcoming novella in Full Dark, No Stars, will contain many references to Mother Abigail and her history.

@ Rawr, i guess you could call Four Past Midnight a series of novellas its just personally i didnt think they were very long and qualifies as short stories instead. However, we will have to agree to disagree on the Dark Tower series- by the end i was just reading out of obligation and willing the series to end! I would recommend The Body though and also Apt Pupil is a very good film and highly under-rated, it starred the late Brad Renfro in one of his best roles to date.

I have checked, and it is the 1990 complete and uncut edition I have now. I remember when I bought it being a bit put out to realise that the first edition I read had been abridged, as I don't remember that there was any indication that it wasn't the full story. Presumably the publishers were nervous about the length? The abridged version I previously read was still quite thick, and the uncut version I have now is 1007 pages long. I'm hoping to get started on it by the end of the month, and really looking forward to it. Stephen King at his best. :lol:

I have checked, and it is the 1990 complete and uncut edition I have now. I remember when I bought it being a bit put out to realise that the first edition I read had been abridged, as I don't remember that there was any indication that it wasn't the full story. Presumably the publishers were nervous about the length? The abridged version I previously read was still quite thick, and the uncut version I have now is 1007 pages long. I'm hoping to get started on it by the end of the month, and really looking forward to it. Stephen King at his best. :lol:

SK explains about the earlier shorter versions in the preface. he says the uncut version is the version he would have released if he and his publisher at the time had more money basically.

I cannot recommend The Stand enough, and if you want the definitive version then go for the Complete and Uncut version (1990), its not only the best book King has ever written, its one of the best books ever written, period.

Can't agree more, I adore the Stand. One of my favourite books ever. Also because I love anything apocalypse related, and apocalypse by pandemic, even better. :motz: Call me insane, but for some reason I have wanted something like this to happen to the world ever since I was like, 12 years old, and first saw the film of the Stand. Plus other such films. Can't help it, feels like we deserve it, plus, how many of us actually thinks we're gonna make it (as human race) for another, say, 500 years? Not me. :lol:

I have never actually watched the film of The Stand. Having enjoyed the book so much, I was worried that I would feel let down by the film. But I do enjoy a good apocalypse-type book/film! :lol:

I have never actually watched the film of The Stand. Having enjoyed the book so much, I was worried that I would feel let down by the film. But I do enjoy a good apocalypse-type book/film! :lol:

The film is a mixed bag of tricks. Casting of Gary Sinise as Stu Redman was perfect and Rob Lowe as Nick Andros was also perfect but the actors who play Larry Underwood and Frannie Goldmsith were sub-par in my opinion. Having said that, the story is told in almost all of its entirety which is impressive given the sie of the book and the CGI effects are still quite good. Well worth a look for fans.

I'll second JCW's recommendation, Carrie was the first proper horror book I read and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I preferred Firestarter and it is one of my favourite Stephen King books; you don't often see it mentioned, for some reason. :lol:

I'll second JCW's recommendation, Carrie was the first proper horror book I read and I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I preferred Firestarter and it is one of my favourite Stephen King books; you don't often see it mentioned, for some reason. :lol:

Its not as high profile as his other books, i personally only rate it as average but it has a lot of fans in the same vein as Christine and Tommyknockers also divides opinion amongst King fans...

Its not as high profile as his other books, i personally only rate it as average but it has a lot of fans in the same vein as Christine and Tommyknockers also divides opinion amongst King fans...

I thought there were some great characters in Firestarter, John Rainbird for one. I love that weeks, months, years after I have read a SK book scenes and characters from the book still play in my mind like memories. John Rainbird and Charlie from Firestarter are definitely two of those characters for me.

I thought there were some great characters in Firestarter, John Rainbird for one. I love that weeks, months, years after I have read a SK book scenes and characters from the book still play in my mind like memories. John Rainbird and Charlie from Firestarter are definitely two of those characters for me.

Yeah he does have that ability! As long as i live i will never forget Larry Underwood or Stu Redman from The Stand and also Jack and Danny from The Shining or Nurse Annie from Misery. I cannot say that about a lot of books but King sears his characters into long term memory, which is a great talent of his.

What about The Kid from The Stand? That guy doesn't exactly have a giant part in proceedings but sticks in my mind almost daily.

'Don't tell me, I'll tell you. You believe that happy cra**y?' :(

What about The Kid from The Stand? That guy doesn't exactly have a giant part in proceedings but sticks in my mind almost daily.

'Don't tell me, I'll tell you. You believe that happy cra**y?' :(

Ya, The Kid was never going to be part of the original The Stand, released in the 70s but thankfully he was included in the Complete and Uncut Edition, and he does indeed make quite an impression- exactly the type of guy you would NOT want to hitch a ride off of, especially when there aint nobody left on the planet to help you....

• 3 weeks later...

My Stephen King Top 5 novels:

The Stand: Expanded Edition: For the First Time Complete and Uncut (Signet)

Carrie

It

PET SEMETARY

Salem's Lot

I also liked: "Duma Key" and "Under the Dome"

Edited by Michelle
consecutive posts merged

I can't decide which i love more out of those two, they are both classics of the genre without a doubt for different reasons. It takes such talent to write a refreshed 'haunted house' tale but also the psychological confines of Misery takes some guts too, both are highly entertaining.

I can't decide which i love more out of those two, they are both classics of the genre without a doubt for different reasons. It takes such talent to write a refreshed 'haunted house' tale but also the psychological confines of Misery takes some guts too, both are highly entertaining.

Ill decide for you mate- The Shining! :D

Ha, each to their own of course but personally The Shining just about edges it for me in terms of scares. Misery is fantastic as well but works best as a straight thriller than anything supernatural. If we are talking about the film versions, then Misery hands down.

There's definitely a lot more going on in the Overlook, but Wilkes is a nutjob :D

There's definitely a lot more going on in the Overlook, but Wilkes is a nutjob :D

A nutjob? What do you mean a nutjob? you KOOKY BIRD!!

<ahem> sorry, got into character a bit much there ha. Ya, Annie Wilkes as brought to life by the fantastic Kathy Bates is a slice of cinematic insanity that is legendary. Certainly she deserved her Oscar for that role and i saw the movie before i read the book so i was imagining her as the main character which helped a lot.

My top five are:

'Salem's Lot

The Shining

Firestarter

It

Duma Key

I reread The Stand recently, and although it's a great story, I wouldn't put it in my top 5. I didn't find it as gripping or scary - although maybe I was just numbed by the length of it! :D