Stephen King

Michelle

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read "The Dead Zone" yet but if it's anywhere near as good as the film (or, as indeed is often the case, much better than it), then you're in for a marvellous read.

Edited by BookJumper

I haven't read "The Stand" yet but if it's anywhere near as good as the film (or, as indeed is often the case, much better than it), then you're in for a marvellous read.

The book is far superior to the television movie based on it. I did notice some typos and mistakes, which hadn't been corrected from the first edition, in the Complete And Uncut Edition. It's my all-time favorite King book regardless of the minor niggles though.

Cell is also an excellent read, though derails somewhat in the latter stages.

When the threat of the psychopathic electronic virus victims becomes limited, then transformed into a collective consciousness, it never feels as if the situation is as bad as the earlier part of the book. IMHO it would have been far scarier if those who answered their phones devolved to the state they were at the beginning of the book rather than the other way around.

The book is far superior to the television movie based on it. I did notice some typos and mistakes, which hadn't been corrected from the first edition, in the Complete And Uncut Edition. It's my all-time favorite King book regardless of the minor niggles though.
My bad :lol: I meant "The Dead Zone" (which I haven't read, although I've seen and loved the film with Christopher Walken) not "The Stand" (which as of yet I haven't read or seen) - edited the post I have.

The Dead Zone is excellent as a stand-alone story, as it is the Chris Walken film. The television series, which more people will probably be aware of the characters from, is less successful in maintaining the suspense of Johnny Smith. Save for a few episodes where the writers bent the format of the show, it degenerated into a problem-of-the-week show.

I read most of the Stephen King books when I was in my twenties (quite a few years ago!) :lol:The Stand is my favorite. I remember enjoying Pet Sematary and It also -

the clown is very freaky!

I have still to read The Stand

I loved Pets Cematary

I did not like It they made a film and in my opinion it was a load of ****:irked:

I have still to read The Stand

I loved Pets Cematary

I did not like It they made a film and in my opinion it was a load of ****:D

I don't remember the It film much, not sure if I watched it all.

I've been thinking about rereading Pet Sematary. I remember liking it, but I can't recall the whole story - so I've gotten curious....

I have to admit I have never read a Stephen King book. I have seen his films though. But when I was in my mum's one day recently I found The Cell by Stephen King. It has never been read since I bought it for my dad before he died. So I have that home with me and I will be definitely getting into that. Has anyone read this one?

I have to admit I have never read a Stephen King book. I have seen his films though. But when I was in my mum's one day recently I found The Cell by Stephen King. It has never been read since I bought it for my dad before he died. So I have that home with me and I will be definitely getting into that. Has anyone read this one?

Yep, I have - I really enjoyed it. If you had read SK before I'd say it definitely does what it says on the tin :D

But yeah, I thought it was better than I expected

• 2 weeks later...

I've just finished Gerald's Game, which doesn't appear to be one of Stephen Kings more popular books, but I really enjoyed it. Basically it's about a woman and her husband who go to their lakeside cabin for a bit of, shall we say 'adult fun', but unfortunatley whilst she is handcuffed to the bed her husband has a heart attack and dies leaving her stranded miles from anywhere (I don't think I'm giving anything away there...it's all on the back of the book). I won't say anymore but it really is quite scary!!

Other books I've enjoyed by Stephen King are:

IT - absolutely fantastic book, however

it all got a bit weird at the end...it explains how a giant turtle vomited up the universe if I remember correctly!

Pet Semetary - I think this is probably the best horror book I've ever read, super scary with a perfect ending!

Misery - love this book, apparently the film is very good too although I've never seen it

The Shining - another scary, scary book!

I've read The Stand and I did enjoy it, but I felt like it had the potential to be a much better book than it is. Also, I read the extended addition and

the climax of the book (in my opinion) was about 100 pages before the actual end of the book!! It just went on and on!

The Fog and The Rats were both by James Herbert, rather than Stephen King, but both are good books. I remember watching Pet Sematary and being a bit wigged out by it, but then I think I was under the age for being supposed to see it - LOL! As a result, I never got round to reading the book.

The Fog and The Rats were both by James Herbert, rather than Stephen King, but both are good books. I remember watching Pet Sematary and being a bit wigged out by it, but then I think I was under the age for being supposed to see it - LOL! As a result, I never got round to reading the book.

I was also totally creeped out by Pet Sematary when I watched it the first time, but I'd say that I'd still be creeped out about the movie and I'm 27 now!! :friends0: The two Pet Sematary movies were on telly quite recently and I've got them on my digibox, but I've been too scared to watch them!

I'm a big fan of King although I've only begun to read him quite reacently and as a result have only read a handful of his books

IT - absolutely fantastic book

This is on my Christmas/birthday wish list.

Pet Semetary - I think this is probably the best horror book I've ever read, super scary with a perfect ending!
On the shelf and I'm really looking forward to it - with a little trepidation. It's the book he himself rates as his scariest.

Misery - love this book, apparently the film is very good too although I've never seen it
I read this one this year, and it was brilliant - my favourite of his so far, and probably one of my favourite books of any author

This is one I must add to the wish list.

I saw on Amazon that one of his forthcoming books is called Under the Dome, and it sounds really, really good! It's about a small town that suddenly finds itself enclosed under a dome (well, you could probably guess that) and I'm really looking forward to it. :friends0:

ohh **** I totally forgot it was James Herbert, sorry. I am tired, that's my problem, lo!l Night folks, sweet dreams. :friends0:

Edited by Echo
added capitals, punctuation, and spelling

Other books I've enjoyed by Stephen King are:

IT - absolutely fantastic book, however

it all got a bit weird at the end...it explains how a giant turtle vomited up the universe if I remember correctly!

I've read The Stand and I did enjoy it, but I felt like it had the potential to be a much better book than it is. Also, I read the extended addition and

the climax of the book (in my opinion) was about 100 pages before the actual end of the book!! It just went on and on!

IT is amazing, there's no other words to describe it. I connect so well with a lot of themes prevalent in it.

The Shining gets more frightening each time i read it and think more about it, very much so like Kubrick's adaptation (totally different take on the story though)

And Misery is fantastic and i can't even imagine how he could write that and make it so interesting, it's very claustraphobic. The Shining and Misery certainly show that King is not merely a 'horror hack' as so many box him into, he's extremely clever and intelligent and knows what makes people think as opposed to excessive gore for special effects.

I finished IT earlier this morning and it reminded me quite powerfully of why it is my favourite novel. The story-telling and sense of passion within the written words is absolutely astounding. I'm going to start Salem's Lot again later today :motz: After some Lovecraft!

Stephen King's early books are all very good IMHO, with The Stand being a (no pun intended) the stand out book. Also IT. He went a little off for me after The Tommyknockers (after which I believe he finally went into therapy for his alcohol problem).

Geralds game is the only book where I've had to put it down for a few minutes because one part of it creeped me out so much (no spoilers!)

I recently read Cell - it's pretty good.

It's actually some of his short stories that I really like (Shawshank Redemption & The Body esp!)

Ian