Your Book Activity Today - Thread 11

Janet

I finished The Owl Killers today, I really enjoyed it, I might see if I can pick up the other book by the same author, about the plague, (can't remember the title :))

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished The Owl Killers today, I really enjoyed it, I might see if I can pick up the other book by the same author, about the plague, (can't remember the title :))

That's good to know, I enjoyed The Company of Liars .. the one about the plague and have been thinking about getting The Owl Killers.

Read about 50 pages of HP and the Deathly Hallows and around 30 pages of some Poe poetry :)

I've been splitting my time between The Complete Polysyllabic Spree by Nick Hornby and Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot. I find it easier to read the former in smaller chunks as it is non-fiction. Want to finish both of them by the end of the week.

Just started Death of a Murderer by Rupert Thomson. The blurb describes it thus:

One night in November 2002, PC Billy Tyler is called to a mortuary in Suffolk to guard the body of a notorious child-killer. But in the eerie silence of the hospital, the killer's presence begins to assert itself ... A vivid evocation of an extraordinary moment in crime history, Death of a Murderer is a dark and gripping meditation on the fears and temptations that haunt us all.

The "notorious child-killer" in question, although not named, is of course Myra Hindley.

Finished Alone by Lisa Gardner! Now I will finish my book of Jean-Paul Sartre, and then finish all the books I have to close: Wuthering Heights, Sepulchre, and there must be others. And then I'll start my bought books like Labyrinth by Kate Mosse.

Found my old high school poetry book last night, so I read through a bunch of my favourite poems by Eavan Boland, Emily Dickinson, Michael Longley, and Seamus Heaney. Also had a read through of my book on Van Gogh. Being very cultured this weekend aren't I! :)

Just started Death of a Murderer by Rupert Thomson. The blurb describes it thus:

One night in November 2002, PC Billy Tyler is called to a mortuary in Suffolk to guard the body of a notorious child-killer. But in the eerie silence of the hospital, the killer's presence begins to assert itself ... A vivid evocation of an extraordinary moment in crime history, Death of a Murderer is a dark and gripping meditation on the fears and temptations that haunt us all.

The "notorious child-killer" in question, although not named, is of course Myra Hindley.

I read this one a few years ago and thought it was an excellent read.

I gave up on 'The Family Tree' by Carole Cadwalladr over the weekend because it was such a bore! I haven't quit a book in a long time and I'm a tad disappointed in myself :). I might hang onto it to try later. During the rest of the weekend I started and finished 'The Queen of Babble in the Big City' by Meg Cabot.

Now I'm on the lookout for something new to start!

I remember my Mum abandoning that book too, Marcia! She usually passes books onto me (and vice versa) and I'd had my eye on it too, but she told me not to bother - so I didn't!

I read Buster Fleabags [Quick Read] by Rolf Harris today.

I also bought Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach today for

I'm still struggling through Smilla. I was hoping to get it finished today but due to lack of interest in reading it over the weekend it's going to be drawn out an extra day. :blush: I can't wait to move on to something else.

I remember my Mum abandoning that book too, Marcia! She usually passes books onto me (and vice versa) and I'd had my eye on it too, but she told me not to bother - so I didn't!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's given up on that book, Janet! I think you were right in not bothering :blush:.

I decided to start The World to Come by Dara Horn tonight.

Finished Bitter Steel by Charles Allen Gramlich tonight. New genre for me, and most enjoyable.

Now I guess I'll go back to The Wolf, or maybe......Knight's Gambit [six Mystery Stories] by William Faulkner.