Music's Best Decade??

Coffin Nail

Each decade has it's musical highlights and I can't ever pick a favourite. I like a bit of everything from every genre and from every year.

I like some blues and Jazz from the 1930's.

The 40's were a little lean for me, but I can see that jitterbug music and Vera Lynne had their place.

The 50's when rock n roll was invented, I love Chuck Berry and the Inkspots, and the whole 'Wap bamba loo ba, De wap bam boo' dealie.

The creative genius that engulfed the hippy 60's. The devine Motown influence, the psychedelic influence on music towards the latter half of the 60's.

The seventies was much maligned for a while, but it gave us David Bowie and Lou Reed and Punk, and there's a whole heap of funky disco tunes that I would want to disgard, but it was music from my childhood so I still love it.

For every 'Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep' there was a 'Get it on'.

The eighties was mostly awful. I was lucky I was a goth so I had The Cure and Siouxsie. How we got through the Stock, Aitkin and Waterman era still sane, I don't know.

However The Smiths were around to counterbalance the evil.

The 90's were the Nirvana/grunge decade for me and Britpop for everyone else.

The 00's for me it has to be Radiohead and Muse. They still experiment, try knew sounds/styles.

I always did prefer musicians to popstars, and actors to movie stars.

What for you is the best musical decade?

The 80s rocked! We had New Romantics, Goth, rock, heavy metal and electro-pop! I disregard the Stock-Aiken-Waterman rubbish completely.

A few highlights for me from the 80s include

- Adam and the Ants

- Duran Duran

- Sisters of Mercy

- The Cure

- Ultravox

- Marlillion

Those are just the first few that pop into my head - there were many, many more!

I have to admit, I love 70s music too. David Bowie still rocks my world, and I love a lot of fun kand disco stuff too - the BeeGees were awesome! And the whole punk thing - that kind of broke the music mold once again. :blush:

I would say early 90's for me, music is getting ridiculous in so many ways and flooding through every genre. It's sad, but that is why it's inspiring when you find good modern music that wants to express something important and new and individual through that artform.

I stopped taking notice of new bands about 10 years ago really, its bands formed from the 60s- mid 80's for me, which saw the birth of the best bands you will ever see imo from The Beatles to Black Sabbath to Pink Floyd to Guns n Roses and countless others.

the modern day music industry is ridiculous, although I suppose every 30 year old for the last 50 years has said that! :blush:

Sorry kinda hijacked half a century there didnt I

Edited by Johnny Carson Whit

My vote goes to the 80's too.

They were fun and chipper and cheesy on the one hand, and there was dark stuff on the other. What's not to like :blush:

My favourite band *ever* is from that decade, still present today - Depeche mode.

But I also listen to music from other decades too.

My vote goes to the 80's too.

They were fun and chipper and cheesy on the one hand, and there was dark stuff on the other. What's not to like :blush:

My favourite band *ever* is from that decade, still present today - Depeche mode.

But I also listen to music from other decades too.

Wow Depeche Mode. There's a name I forgot about. They started off all lightweight arty types and were much darker by the end of the decade. I really liked them.

The eighties was mostly awful. I was lucky I was a goth so I had The Cure and Siouxsie.

Just The Cure and Siouxsie and the Banshees? :) Not Clan of Xymox, Bauhaus (some in the 80s), Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilim and ehh.. there's probably more.

Ahh, how can I forget Depeche Mode?? Listen to them frequently.

I love most of these.. So the 80's is good. Love the feel of this music, so different from these days.. though I love the 2000's too, lots of great bands, and there still are so the 2010s will be good too. :(

Not a big fan of the 90's. Though there's probably some good music in each decade, I don't know much older music than the 70's or something, I know it, but don't listen to it. Then again I was born in 1982 so.. :blush:

I saw Fields of the Nephilim quite a lot, New Model Army were also a fave and up and down the country we'd go with our duffle bags, crimpers, winkle picker boots, and shuffling along in fishtail skirts.

It was hell when you had to run for the last bus!

Wow Depeche Mode. There's a name I forgot about. They started off all lightweight arty types and were much darker by the end of the decade. I really liked them.

That they did lol, but then Martin took things over and Alan got more involved in the recording/production and voila - dark DM was born :blush:

Although sometimes I love to listen to the early stuff, which they admit to being slightly ashamed of themselves xD.

How could you forget, shame on you :) Kidding.

Probably the Rock scene of the 80's and the Indie scene of the 90's. But I love too much music from every decade to really pick.

Have to agree teenager for one and University for the other and first job therefore first money so 80/90's it is for me though I do like a whole host of other stuff and have a fairly eclectic taste

Being a teenager in the 80s, that's obviously got a massive place in my heart, but I can't deny that I know the stuff I loved is mostly devoid of musical merit!

I love 50s jazz and my interest in contemporary music of all sorts of styles has been rekindled in the last few years, so the 2000s are also pretty prevalent on my iPod too!

But if I had to pick only one, I guess it would have to be the 50s; Ella Fitzgerald et al at Verve Records - I'm not sure it gets better than that for me.

Its very hard to pick just one era but the 60's (aka, The Beatles :blush:) are by far my favorite. Modern music isn't that bad if you know where to go. So many of the lesser recognized acts are amazing, like The Rocket Summer and Imogen Heap. In every era there will be those 'artists' who are known for being popular based on their looks and the catchyness of their songs, but the artists who are unique and don't allow themselves to be handled by the record companies who tend to stand out to me.

Although I love most genres of music and have lots of fav tunes from the 40's right through to today, my ultimate fav decade has to be the 50's especially doo wop, rockabilly and rock n roll :blush: I have a soft spot for motown, glam rock and I'm afraid some cheesy pop too, oh and I adore the big band sound i.e. Glenn Miller.

I'm somewhat horrified by all the thumbs up for 80s music. <shudders> I guess it was the decade I grew up in (well, 80s/90s) but I hated all that music.

60s all the way for me. Music will never be that good again.

'60s for me, no contest. Beatles, Stones, Dylan... what more could one want?

60s for me too :) My ipod is full of 60s music, I go to clubs which play 60s music....definately born a few decades too late. A few of my highlights (although there were so many) include:

Bobby Fuller Four

Del Shannon

Wilson Pickett

The Doors

The Kinks

The Stones

Motown

Spencer Davis Group

Four Tops

Beach Boys.....

I could literally go on forever! Being born in 1980, I'm devastated to have missed that era :blush:

For the fact that it gave us David Bowie, Marc Bolan, Bob Marley, Queen and Kate Bush I'd have to say the 70's.

I loved soul/disco too with Earth Wind & Fire, Chic, Emotions, The Jacksons, Curtis Mayfield and Stevie Wonder ... some of Stevie's best songs were from the 70's 'Superstition', 'Living for the City, 'Misstra Know It All', 'Don't You Worry 'Bout a Thing', 'I Wish' and 'Sir Duke' (but there were loads).

I'm not averse to a bit of glam rock either as long as it doesn't involve Gary Glitter (what else would we sing at Christmas?)

and then the dawning of Elvis Costello, The Jam, The Specials, Madness, The Clash, The Police, The Damned and Squeeze.

The 60's were fantastic too .. you only have to say The Beatles, The Kinks, The Rolling Stones and Motown to know how fantastic they were.

I couldn't pick one as every decade has its good bands & some dross. I've got everything on my ipod from Dylan, Stones, Specials , Madness, Nirvana, White Stripes to the Kings of Leon my current favs.

My mp3 player has all the Bleach soundtracks, plus Soundgarden, Green Day, Def Leppard, Arcade Fire, T.I., Pink Floyd, Beethoven, Mozart, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky, Aqua Timez, Dire Straits, Linkin Park, Moby, Pearl Jam, R.E.M., Skid Row, and some random stuff. I really need to get some Nirvana on there. I guess it's pretty obvious that I'm a 90s girl!

I stopped taking notice of new bands about 10 years ago really,

I stopped tuning into the charts around about 1992 - that was where popularmusic started going really wrong for me. It's only really very recently that I've started getting back into some more modern stuff as the 80s seems to be very much back in fashion again for music style.