Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't read anything for a while again because I still haven't got time due to stupid uni work :D So I'm just over halfway through Cell by Stephen King and Interview With A Vampire by Anne Rice. Hopefully I'll be through with those soon.

Today I bought three books:

*Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini (which is a really nice hardback copy)

*The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

*Life of Pi by Yann Martel

I have no idea when I'll get the chance to read them (considering Mount TBR is still too big!) but they were only

^ I'm sure I bought Cell months ago, but can't find it! It will be a nice surprise when I finally come across it, though... :D Glad to hear it's good.

Its great so far, goes at a hundred miles an hour from the first page, from what I've read about it grows into an apocalyptic/zombie fest bit like The Stand without the 500 pages of back story :D

I've been reading a bit of this and that while waiting for this and that here and there. It's been a funny day indeed. Anyway, the book I've made most progress in is in Finnish only, about music biz and especially the role of the management. Then I finished Slowness by Milan Kundera (loved it) and now I'm trying to decide which one to pick up next: Kerouac's On the road or some Guillou... Or maybe even Ewan. Hm.

Its great so far, goes at a hundred miles an hour from the first page, from what I've read about it grows into an apocalyptic/zombie fest bit like The Stand without the 500 pages of back story :D

Excellent! I'm 750 pages into The Stand, and thoroughly enjoying it, but there is a lot of back story to get through...

I'm about to finish a Kelley Armstrong - Stolen, not sure just yet whether I'll be reading Kelley Armstrong - Broken next or something else.

Today I picked up a few books though:

Richard Montanari - Play Dead

Claire Seeber - Bad Friends

Alexandra Sokoloff - The Harrowing

Lisa Jewell - 31 Dream Street

Jonathan Ross - Why Do I Say These Things?

Yesterday I finished I Was Told There'd Be Cake by Sloane Crosley which I loved, then started Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick yesterday evening and finished this morning, and I've just started The Carbon Diaries 2017 by Saci Lloyd.

I finished Joe Haldeman's The Forever War at about 1:30 this morning. Thought it was fantastic.

Haven't quite decided what to read next. It's between Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination and George RR Martin's A Feast For Crows. I'll probably go with the latter so that I can put that series to bed until the next one comes out.

Have you read the Armstrong series before, Lexie?

How long did it take you to read Under the Dome, Ned? The thing's a behemoth! :D

I read a bit more of 'Acceptable Risk' this morning in bed, and to tell you the truth I had to go back to almost the beginning because I forgot what was going on! :D Oops. I'm liking it so far though.

Just returned from a run to 1/2 Price Books, and came home with Industrial Magic by Kelley Armstrong and The Family Tree by Carole Cadwalladr. Oh, and also got a DVD of one of my fave thrillers, The Others :D.

Im a few chapters into 1984 now and im struck by how relevant the themes and description of modern cities are. Even though the book was published in 1949, many of the problems and criminal hierarchies are the exact same and this book also has quite a bleak feel to it.

I read the thread on 1984 and it seems to have split opinion down the middle, it will be interesting to see what i make of it when im done.

In between trying to access the forum for the last few days, I managed to get several books read, most of which were very short.

I finished The Crimson Petal and the White by Michel Faber, which was a wonderful read. I followed that up with Bill Bryson's African Diary, which was as enjoyable as such a bleak subject can be. I hope Bryson does another book about Africa one day.

I read Allan Ginsberg's Howl and Other Poems; as much as I wanted to enjoy this (I'm very interested in the beat writers) I'd be lying if I said I liked it or understood it.

I read Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach, which was OK. I find that I'm not particularly drawn to these fable-type stories that don't have much of a plot to them. This is one of the reasons why I also disliked The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho.

I read Trixie Belden and the Mystery of the Ghostly Galleon, which was a typically enjoyable read. And today, in honour of ANZAC day, I read Number the Stars by Lois Lowry, which was a simple but lovely read.

Now I'm reading Noughts & Crosses by Malorie Blackman.