Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

Just finished Ender's Game. 326 pages but so good I read it in less than a day. That hasn't happened for a long time.

I also received

Parasite Rex - Carl Zimmer

Disgusting Bliss: The Brass Eye of Chris Morris - Lucian Randall

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ - Philip Pullman

A Game of Thrones - George R.R. Martin

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mum won a copy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. She doesn't want it so naturally handed it to me :motz: This is a book I've been interesting in reading (what with it's popularity on here!), but not enough to buy as it's not typically my kind of thing. So I'm quite pleased. There was also a t-shirt which I'm not so sure about :motz: will have to try it on later!

Edited by Mexicola

I'm finally back on track with my reading after getting through 120 pages of The Crimson Petal and the White today. I hope to read a bit more. It was wonderful to delve back into the characters' lives again. :motz:

I also plan on reading some of Shel Silverstein's poems from a book I bought a while ago called Falling Up.

My mum won a copy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson. She doesn't want it so naturally handed it to me :motz: This is a book I've been interesting in reading (what with it's popularity on here!), but not enough to buy as it's not typically my kind of thing. So I'm quite pleased. There was also a t-shirt which I'm not so sure about :P will have to try it on later!

Great Mum you got there :motz: I hope you enjoy the novel, I certainly did. I felt it was a bit slow paced at first but it picks up at some point. Any pics on the shirt?? ;)

Finished The Reluctant Fundamentalist. Very good thought provoking book and easy read.

I want to read that novel at some point, glad you enjoyed it vodkafan :)

I have book activity to report, (beyond buying them!)

I am 80 pages into Karin Slaughter's 'Genesis'. :motz: I'm a'reading a book again!!!!!!! Yippee! I am beyond delighted.

All the books I will now be able to read. It's been almost three months. Big huge phew with knobs and bells on!

As a little aside, British Bookshops/Sussex Stationers are selling a beautiful hardback of the complete and unabridged 'Paradise Lost', with illustrations by Gustave Dore. It is wonderful. The cost?

Finished the introduction to Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and read The Charge of the Light Brigade by Tennyson.

Received Tishomingo Blues by Elmore Leonard, Ajax,the Dutch and the War by Simon Kuper and The Conquest of Gaul by Caesar... and Newcastle won the Championship :motz:

Bought Xan a new book today - it's an In the Night Garden book called Silly Ninky Nonk! He already has All Aboard the Ninky Nonk and loves it (as it features both the Ninky Nonk and Makka Pakka - both are favourites of his), so I reckoned this new one would be a surefire hit with Xan too. Right enough, I read it to him, he joined in and giggled through it, then he sat and looked through it again by himself. He has both his Night Garden books out now because it's on the telly and he likes to have the right book out when a programme comes on - funny boy! :motz:

I wasn't going to post another message in this thread tonight, but I just have to gush about Shel Silverstein's poetry. He's had me giggling my way through Falling Up and wishing desperately that someone was here with so I could read the poems out loud and share the pleasure. :motz:

I just looked up more of his works but they're all quite expensive because they're published in hardback. It seems I've been very lucky to find two of his works at bargain prices at bookfairs. I'll have to hope that my luck continues. :P

And thanks to Peacefield for encouraging me to bump his work up my TBR pile! :motz:

I've never read any poems from Falling Up, Kylie, but I'm glad you're enjoying it! For some reason I've only read his books A Light in the Attic and Where the Sidewalk Ends. I wish I was there to listen to you read! :motz:

I read about 40 pages of Acceptable Risk last night :motz:.

Where the Sidewalk Ends is the one I've heard about the most, so I'll definitely have to track it down.

I'll probably start reading aloud even without anyone here. :motz:

I have book activity to report, (beyond buying them!)

I am 80 pages into Karin Slaughter's 'Genesis'. :motz: I'm a'reading a book again!!!!!!! Yippee! I am beyond delighted.

Yes yes yes!!! :motz: I knew that book would do it!!! :P

Finished After the Quake by Murakami. I'm glad I started off with a short story. It's whetted my appetite for more.

And I'm about halfway through The More You Ignore Me--Jo Brand. I've read her other novel and enjoyed it. I like her sense of humour and its a subject she's very knowledgeable about. Funny and touching so far.