Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

Be interesting to hear what you think of Dome ned.

I'm just over half way now and i am still enjoying it, the story is moving at a nice speed. I was worried it was going to move along slowly because of the size of the book. I find myself hating Big Jim Rennie more and more every time i read any of his parts :irked: it's been ages since a character has made me feel like that.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He was an interesting one for sure, I found him a pretty good character, by far the best in the book but practically the only one I had any feeling towards. Him and the other selectman seem like a caricatures of Bush and Cheney :irked:

Yeah, I've yet to get one from the series which I haven't enjoyed. And far be it from me to judge a book by its cover, but they do look rather nice together on the shelf :D

I bet they do. I have my books arranged alphabetically at the moment, so I haven't seen them all together, but then I only have a few of them at the moment. I'm sure one day I'll put them all together. :irked:

Finished The Crimson Petal and the White

I was going to ask if you'd enjoyed Crimson to the end, but then I noticed you've already ordered The Apple, so I guess that answers my question! I must admit that I looked up The Apple on the Book Depository's website yesterday, and I'm only a third of the way through the book. :cry2:

I read another chapter of The Book Thief.

Are you still enjoying this Rawr? How much do you have left?

^ Yes, I had enjoyed the characters in TCPatW so much that I couldn't resist ordering The Apple. I know it has had some unfavourable comments, but I know in advance not to expect another TCPatW, so I'm looking forward to enjoying the short stories just for what they are. :irked: I had never even heard of Michel Faber before joining BCF; I'm really enjoying being introduced to new books and ways of thinking about old favourites. :D

I finished Sleepless by Charlie Huston earlier today. Superior pulp fiction, very violent, many twists and turns, surprisingly tender at the end. I read a chapter of As A Man Grows Older, an Italian novel published in 1892, first translated in 1932, and recently re-issued by the New York Review of Books.

I tried reading some more of Fear and Loathing last night but I was way to fidgety to concentrate, so I tried reading a romance and I was way too fidgety to concentrate, so I tried playing on my DS and I was way too fidgety to concentrate...are you seeing a pattern here?

I tried reading some more of Fear and Loathing last night but I was way to fidgety to concentrate, so I tried reading a romance and I was way too fidgety to concentrate, so I tried playing on my DS and I was way too fidgety to concentrate...are you seeing a pattern here?

Maybe you were too fidgety to concentrate or something? :irked::cry2:

I went to bed to read last night and read two pages, then fell asleep :D

Trying my hardest here to get through 'Lord Of The Flies' by William Golding.Am finding it really drags on a bit..:irked: Think I am coming up to the section where they gang up on each other etc,so hopefully it gets a little more exciting for me to read.

I finished Pandemonium last night when i got back from the cinema, I loved it but it was hard work I may have to go back and read the end, it was dark and funny, teenagers, demons physics and religion all mixed up in Christopher Brookmyers typical witty style.

I am half way through Goodnight Sweet Prince by David Dickinson which I am thoroughly enjoying. I managed to pick up and read The Triple Echo by HE Bates (only 80 odd pages) in between.

The Book People were in today and I bought Wildlife of Britain by the RSPB as I don't know all my trees, wild plants and other stuff so it will stay in my car for when I'm out and about.

Nearing page 200 of Eyes Like Stars. I'm un-amused by the shape the love triangule is leaning towards (

keep your dirty trickster hands off Bertie, Ariel

:tong:!), however as I am usually left cold by this kind of geometry my annoyance is ascribable to Lisa Mantchev's creating characters I truly care about, so well done her. I think I get the whole 'team' thing now (

go Nate, go! Pirates forever, air elementals never

!) :lol:.

Finished The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ. Found it a bit dissapointing overall. Have gone back to Club Dead now and am 3 chapters in.

What was wrong with it?

What was wrong with it?

I just found that there was very little imagination in it. It was simply a retelling of many bible stories with a slight twist. Have posted full review in my reading log.

I am about to wrap a copy of Angie Sage's 'Magyk', the first of the Septimus Heap series. It's a birthday present for my great nephew (he's a great nephew in both senses of the term!).

I love those times when you buy a book as a present for someone that you know they will love, and you realise you are helping to open the door to another world for their imaginations. Definite warm and fuzzy times for the present giver! :tong: