Your Book Activity Today - Thread 10

Janet

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last night I read the first hundred pages or so of Wolf Hall. So far, utterly brilliant.

Today I have been sucked in by Waterstones' 3-for-2 deal on some of the SF Masterworks series, so I bought Cities In Flight by James Blish, The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester and I Am Legend by Richard Matheson which - to my eternal shame - I have never read. And I had some money left on a gift card so only paid

Great choices Karsa! At least, I think they are, because I also have the SF Masterworks editions of Cities in Flight and Stars My Destination, but I haven't read them yet. :irked:

I have read I am Legend though, which I really enjoyed. I read an ebook version though, so I'll be on the lookout for a nice SF edition. I really love that series. It seems you can't go wrong with them.

I read about 65 pages of The Book Thief last night, I feel like my reading mojo has reappeared again which is always a great feeling :irked: I had been getting through just fine but there is a distinct difference that you can sense somehow when the hunger presents itself :D

Read a chapter of The Wednesday Girls and also released a bookcrossing book after my swim....1st to Die ~ James Patterson....at RGU Sports Campus in the cafe.

Great choices Karsa! At least, I think they are, because I also have the SF Masterworks editions of Cities in Flight and Stars My Destination, but I haven't read them yet. :irked:

I have read I am Legend though, which I really enjoyed. I read an ebook version though, so I'll be on the lookout for a nice SF edition. I really love that series. It seems you can't go wrong with them.

Yeah, I've yet to get one from the series which I haven't enjoyed. And far be it from me to judge a book by its cover, but they do look rather nice together on the shelf :D

I'm into the last part of Silent Scream. It's ok. Its the first time I've been able to put a Lynda La Plante book down.

Looking forward to starting something new. I feel like I've been ploughing through it for ages and it's only been a few days.

Have read about 130 pages of The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman and have less than 20 pages to go. Have to say I have found it a bit disappointing as it felt like it was building to something very interesting but so far has not delivered. It does raise some interesting points but the statement 'this is a book you will be thinking about months after reading' is unlikely to be true unless the ending is something really special.

I'm a little way into A Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami. Once again, he draws me in to his crisp, fresh world and I feel cleansed a little. What is it about this guy that makes me feel so pulled towards his sphere? Sushi for the mind, I keep saying this but - really - sushi for the mind...

Have read about 130 pages of The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Philip Pullman and have less than 20 pages to go. Have to say I have found it a bit disappointing as it felt like it was building to something very interesting but so far has not delivered. It does raise some interesting points but the statement 'this is a book you will be thinking about months after reading' is unlikely to be true unless the ending is something really special.

Oh dagnammit. I just ordered that. To be fair I'd have ordered it even if I had read what you wrote beforehand. I don't trust any of you!!! :irked:

I promised myself I was going to be good this month and not buy any [new] books. I done failed. Just ordered:

A Game of Thrones - George R.r. Martin

Parasite Rex: Inside the Bizarre World of Nature's Most Dangerous Creatures - Carl Zimmer

Disgusting Bliss: The Brass Eye of Chris Morris - Lucian Randall

The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ - Philip Pullman

Excited.

Finished The Crimson Petal and the White, and James Patterson's Run For Your Life. Ready to start The Stand by Stephen King now, it will be the first time I have read the uncut version.

From Amazon, ordered:

The Apple: New Crimson Petal Stories by Michel Faber

Firestarter by Stephen King

Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire

Finished 'One Hundred Years of Solitude' and just about to start 'Temeraire' by Naomi Novik.

Still listening to and hugely enjoying 'The Help' by Kathryn Stockett .. the three narrators are excellent. I'm trying to string it out .. I don't want it to end.

Bought Kushiel's Dart today, by Jacqueline Carey. I have read it many times, in dutch, and the later books in english too, actually have many of those in english since the library didn't have them yet, let alone in english. But never got around to buying the first one. Went to get book 4 of the Wheel of Time series today, thye didnt have it but I promised myself I could get this one if they couldn't. Started it when I was a little early at work, love it as always.

Think I might give up on Umberto Eco's In the Name of the Rose.. it's not badly written, but it's kind of pointless, and can't really find any reason to go on. :irked:

Be interesting to hear what you think of Dome ned.

I read another chapter of The Book Thief.

Finished Practical Magic by Alice Hoffman last night, I did enjoy it but in this rare instance, the film is much better :irked: Think I'm going to start Nightswallow by our very own Bronwen Winter Phoenix :D