moving abroad

Let's pretend for a moment you are moving abroad to another country. Maybe you are already in this situation! What food items would you miss from home?

I would miss some pretty silly things. I think it's often the small things that make a big impact on us.

I think I would miss sausage rolls from bakers. I really lurve sausage rolls cooked fresh from the bakers. Bad for you, but yumsum! I would miss British style gravy. I wouldn't miss fish and chips because it's not something I'm really into. Depending on where I go then I would certainly miss British Chocolate. I'm sure there are more things, but my brain is burned out right now! What would you miss?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can't get good pease pudding in Scotland. I have to buy several pounds of it every time I visit Northumberland (I only buy it fromone specific butcher in Ashington which makes the very best) & freeze it in various tubs when I get home again. It's something I only have once in a while, but there's nothing quite like a good ham & pease pudding sandwich made on crusty bread - mmmm!

Pies. And beer.

I would definately miss tea as I drink it by the bucket load. Not so sure what else.... I'm with the Hamster on the gravy thing, I lurve gravy.

Where are you going off to that you won't find pies, beer, tea and gravy? :?

Well you wouldn't get the kind of beer we're used to, nor cornish pasties or steak-and-kidney pies.

I'd also miss crumpets.

OK, what in the world is all this stuff:

I would miss pastizzi, qassatat, lampuki, Maltese bread, and figolli most of all.

And also this stuff:

Sticky Toffee Pudding.

Proper cream soda.

Clotted cream on a scone.

Potted shrimp.

Scouse.

Curly Wurlies.

Oatcakes with crumbly white cheshire and bacon.

Well you wouldn't get the kind of beer we're used to, nor cornish pasties or steak-and-kidney pies.

What brand beer are you after?

Well, all the English bitter beers, of which, almost without exception, the mass produced brands are rubbish. So on the rare occasion you find Courage or Bass or Newcastle Brown abroad, it's horrid. You can never find the good Timothy Taylor or Deuchars or Harveys and Archers beers.

Sticky Toffee Pudding.

Proper cream soda.

Clotted cream on a scone.

Potted shrimp.

Scouse.

Curly Wurlies.

Oatcakes with crumbly white cheshire and bacon.

OK. Sticky toffee pudding is a heavy spongy cake made with dates, smothered in a hot toffee sauce. Gorgeous, but very rich.

Cream soda is a soft drink that tastes really creamy. Very sweet and sickly.

Clotted cream is the thickest cream imaginable, and only ever seems to be served with fruit scones.

Potted shrimp are cooked shrimp in a little pot or ramekin, topped with a very thick layer (normally around a centimeter - very thick!) of butter. Sounds repulsive, but is gorgeous on hot toast.

Scouse is a thick stew made with cheap beef or lamb, potatoes and veggies, cooked for hours until everything falls apart.

Curly wurlies are toffee bars covered in chocolate.

Oatcakes are thin pancake-type wraps made with oats. Disgusting cold, they are nice only when heated and served with a nice topping (my favourite being cheese and bacon).

Can't help with the Maltese dishes I'm afraid!

I would miss pastizzi, qassatat, lampuki, Maltese bread, and figolli most of all.

Muggle ....an idea here..

maltafood

and here

The diamond shaped items sin the pic are the local pastizzi, the rings are filled with dates, you can see a bit of bread on the right hand side, and the white and the peppered cheeslets in the pic are divine.