Kat's Reading 2006

Lilywhite

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went slightly overboard today :smile2: I got Jodi Picoult ~ Mercy from the library because if I left it I wouldn't see it again for ages. Then I found a great stall on the car boot selling p/b books for 50p each, so I got Elizabeth Chadwick ~ Shadows and Strongholds, Kelley Armstrong ~ Broken and Terry Pratchett ~ The Truth

Now I shall sit in the corner and punish myself..... I might take a book with me though :lol:

Still reading Mercy ~ Jodi Picoult as I've been doing my OU reading more this week. So far a great read and although it's taking me a while I am enjoying it.

Cameron McDonald has spent his life guided by duty. As the police chief of a small Massachusetts town that has been home to generations of his Scottish clan, he is bound to the town's residents by blood and honor. Yet when his cousin Jamie arrives at the police station with the body of his wife and the bald confession that he has killed her, Cam immediately places him under arrest. The situation isn't as clear to Cam's wife, Allie. While she is devoted to her husband, she finds herself siding against Cam, seduced by the picture Jamie paints of a man so in love with a woman that he'd grant all her wishes - even the one that meant taking her life. Into this charged atmosphere drifts Mia, a new assistant at Allie's florist shop, for whom Cam feels an instant and inexplicable attraction. While he aids the prosecution in preparing the case against Jamie, who killed his terminally ill wife out of mercy, Cam finds himself betraying his own wife.

Back from my weekly jaunt to the carboot an library. I managed to be good around the carboot but I succumbed to temptation in the library and picked up Jean Plaidy ~ Madame Serpent and The Italian Woman

I also got a couple of books from Oxfam for my collection Stephen King ~ The Bachman Books and The Stand for

I'm going to start on Stephen King ~ The Shining which is one of the reading circle books....

Danny is only five years old but in the words of old Mr Hallorann he is a 'shiner', aglow with psychic voltage. When his father becomes caretaker of the Overlook Hotel his visions grow frighteningly out of control.

As winter closes in and blizzards cut them off, the hotel seems to develop a life of it's own. It is meant to be empty, but who is the lady in room 217, and who are the masked guests going up and down in the elevator? And whiy do the hedges shaped like animals seem so alive? Somewhere, somehow there is an evil force in the hotel - and that too is beginning to shine...

Yes it is Ophelia, she has written a couple of biographical books about their life but this is her first fiction book. Not too bad for a first, you can see where her influences come from and it makes for an interesting read. Not a patch on Martina Cole for crime writing but a good read none the less.

Yes it is Ophelia, she has written a couple of biographical books about their life but this is her first fiction book. Not too bad for a first, you can see where her influences come from and it makes for an interesting read. Not a patch on Martina Cole for crime writing but a good read none the less.

Thanks for that, Lilywhite. I might give it a go.

Finally managed to finish The Shining at work today, although I do think it lost some of it's shine at 8:45am sat at a computer lol

Decided to give Madame Serpent ~ Jean Plaidy a go.

Sullen-eye and broken-hearted, fourteen-year-old Catherine de'Medici arrives in Marseilles to marry Henry of New Orleans, a second son of the King of France. On the promise of a dowry fit for a king, Catherine has left her true love in Italy, forced into trading her future for a stake in the French crown.

Amid the glittering fetes and banquets of the most immoral court in sixteenth-century Europe, the reluctant bride becomes a passionate but unwanted wife. Humiliated and unloved, Catherine spies on Henry and his lover, the infamous Diane de Poitiers. And, tortured by what she sees, Catherine becomes dangerously preoccupied by a ruthless ambition designed to make her the most despised woman in France: the dream that one day the French crown will be worn by a Medici heir....