Kat's Reading 2006

Lilywhite

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I finished Pig Island this afternoon. The first part of this book was REALLY scary, I did put it down once and I haven't done that in a while. The second part is more psychological scary, just like her other books. A very freaky read but good none the less.

Next I will read Hood (bk 1 King Raven Trilogy)~ Stephen R, Lawhead

A new reign of terror has brought fear and hatred to the land, while an ancient legend stirs in the heart of the wildwood ...The Norman conquest of England is complete - but for one young man the battle has only just begun. When Bran ap Brychan's father is murdered by Norman soldiers, he flees to London, seeking justice. The journey is long and hard - and the suffering of those he meets along the way fuels his anger. With his demands dismissed, Bran has no choice but to return home, but a worse fate still awaits him there. His lands have been confiscated and his people subjugated by a brutal and corrupt regime. Should Bran flee for his life or protect his people by surrendering to his father's murderers? The answer, perhaps, is known only to the Raven King - a creature of myth and magic born of the darkest shadows in the forest. Stephen R. Lawhead's Hood brings to life the legend of Robin Hood as never before.

Although I am liking Hood, I'm not overly enjoying it at the moment. I have put it to the side for now and have picked up Stolen ~ Kelley Armstrong instead.

Elena Michaels is a wanted woman. She hasn't done anything wrong. Well, not recently, anyway. But ten years ago her lover turned her into a werewolf: the only female werewolf in the world, in fact.

And now, just as she's finally coming to terms with it all, a group of scientists learns of her existence. They're hunting her down, and Elena is about to run straight into their trap. But they haven't reckoned on Elena's adoptive family, her Pack, who will stop at nothing to get her back. They haven't reckoned on Elena herself, either, and that's a very big mistake...

i've read the 1st 4 Saga of Darren Shan books & loved them. my plan is to slowly get hold of the rest of the series (I believe there are 12 in total). Then I may well move onto his Demonata series...

Unfortunately I can't say Hood got any better for me. I just wasn't interested enough to care about what happened. My historical knowledge is very limited, I was never any good at remembering historical facts especially with numbers. I felt that you needed a decent grounding in history to get the book and so it lacked a little something for me. It also felt like the Hood story was sub plot a lot of the time and that was what I wanted to read about not the other things going on. A shame because I thought this book had a lot of promise. :badmood:

Still persevering with Darren Shan, which in my opinion is still a bit mediocre (sp), I think it put me off a bit with the giant poisonous spider and the buried alive in a coffin bit, I am terrified of spiders and have claustrophobia too. Thanks to O's for recommending it :)

I laughed at the spider bits too, but that made a nice change for me, as I'm so scared of them in real life - LOL! Actually, there are fewer spider bits as the books go on...

I started Mary Reilly ~ Valerie Martin last night and finished it this afternoon.

Fron the acclaimed author of the Orange prize winning 'Property' comes a fresh twist on the classic Jekyll and Hyde story, a noverl told from the prospective of Mary Reilly, Dr Jekyll's dutiful and intelligent housemaid.

Faithfully weaving in details from Robert Louis Stevenson's classic, Martin introduces an original and captivation character: Mary is a survivor - scarred but still strong - familiar with evil, yet brimming with devotion and love. As a bond grows between Mary and her tortured employer, she is sent on errands to unsavoury districts of London and entrusted with secrets she would rather not know...

Although that basically sums up the entire book, it is a great story. However I have not read the original and so it probably doesn't hold as much for me as it should. I am however, very interested to read Jekyll and Hyde now to see what I missed. :)

Back from the library today. Quite a sucessful trip, I managed to get hold of My Best Friend's Girl ~ Dorothy Koomson, The Abortionist's Daughter ~ Elisabeth Hyde and The Chemistry of Death ~ Simon Beckett all three from my want to read list :)

Will start with My Best Friend's Girl ~ Dorothy Koomson

What would you do for the friend who broke your heart?

Best friends Kamryn Matika and Adele Brannon thought nothing could come between them - until Adele did the unthinkable and slept with Kamryn's fianc

I finished My Best Friend's Girl ~ Dorothy Koomson this afternoon. I absolutely loved it (as you can probably tell by the disgusting lack of time it took to read it) highly recommended to everyone :)

Next I have picked up The Abortionist's Daughter ~ Elisabeth Hyde

Nineteen-year-old university student Megan Thompson is beautiful, cool, clever and sexy

I finished The Abortionist's Daughter ~ Elisabeth Hyde today, it wasn't what I was expecting from the book but it was a good read. I enjoyed the whodunnit story and the continual clues left for the reader throughout, although I do feel it may have been aimed at a younger audience than I thought.

Next I have picked up The Chemistry of Death ~ Simon Beckett

When the bizarrely mutilated body of a young woman is found near the isolated Norfolk village of Manham, it isn't just the fact that she was a friend that disturbs Dr David Hunter. Once a high-profile forensic anthropologist, he was all too familiar with the different faces of death, until a devastating personal tragedy caused him to turn his back on that life and career.

Now hidden away as a country doctor, Hunter had hoped his past would remain buried. So when he's asked to use his arcane skills to help track down the killer, he's reluctant to become involved because to do so will only stir up the memories he's been trying so hard to forget. But then another woman disappears, plunging Manham into a maelstrom of fear and paranoia where no one, not even Hunter, is exempt from suspicion. As the once peaceful community begins to tear itself apart, he knows he will need all his knowledge and expertise if the killings are to stop...

Combining the menace of Thomas Harris and the forensics of Patricia Cornwell with storytelling skills uniquely his own, Simon Beckett has written a thriller with an unnerving and original twist

The Posh Club's October read is The Abortionist's Daughter, so I'll be getting hold of a copy shortly myself - I've been meaning to get it for a little while now as it looks intriguing to say the least!