Kat's Reading 2006

Lilywhite

Still reading Out, about half way through this one now and quite enjoying it. Although I feel the book has lost a little in translation, as it doesn't quite flow like it should, the plot is still there and quite good.

Went to the library again today and picked up a couple more books for when I've finished this one.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I managed to finish Out last night, as it was too hot to sleep. I quite enjoyed this book, although I di feel the author went off topic a bit at the end. Still a good read.

Think my next book will be Where rainbows end ~ Cecelia Ahern

Have been really productive today........

Started and finished Where Rainbows End by Cecelia Ahern, naughty I know. I enjoyed this book a lot, it was a really light and refreshing read. Although you kinda guess the ending, you do start to get worried about when it's going to happen. Lovely girly read, made me smile inside.

Next I am going to read Raven Black - Ann Cleeves

It is a cold January morning and Shetland lies buried beneath a deep layer of snow. Trudging home, Fran Hunter's eye is drawn to a vivid splash of colour on the white ground, ravens circling above. It is the strangled body of her teenage neighbour Catherine Ross. As Fran opens her mouth to scream, the ravens continue their deadly dance ...The locals on the quiet island stubbornly focus their gaze on one man - loner and simpleton Magnus Tait. But when police insist on opening out the investigation, a veil of suspicion and fear is thrown over the entire community. For the first time in years, Catherine's neighbours nervously lock their doors, whilst a killer lives on in their midst.

I'm still reading Raven Black, so far it's quite good. I'm not as far through it as I would like to be but that's my fault, as I keep falling asleep :oops:

I'm going to press on with it today though as I am quite intrigued as to whodunnit :(

I finished Raven Black whilst I was in the bath with some peace and quiet :( I really good crime story, not too grisly with the details and enough possibilities to keep you guessing until the end.

Next I will read Love Remains ~ Glen Duncan

Nick loves Chloe. Chloe loves Nick. Their relationship is passionate, addictive and all-consuming, threatened by nothing more sinister than occasional temptaions and a handful of untold truths.

Or so they think - until a brutal, terrifying and apparently random act of violence turns Nick and Chloe's world upside down, changing the emotional landscape between them forever. Now they must literally fight for their lives - and each of them must fight alone.

This one kinda jumped out at me from the shelves so I thought I would give it a go as it was that impatient :)

I just read I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan very recently & thouroughly enjoyed it - I've been thinking of picking up a few more by him...

I don't think I'm going to be able to finish this one. I'm 50 pages in and I just don't care enough to carry on. Nothing really has happened, in between ramblings, he met a girl, fell in love and married. But somehow this doesn't feel like main plot..... I may try again another time but so far I think I will find something else.

I finished reading The Tenth Circle ~ Jodi Picoult today. I really enjoyed this book, although I guessed the ending, but I think that's because I've read a lot of her books and so was looking for it. Still a brilliantly heartbreaking story that will lead to all it's readers questioning their positions on another moral dilemma.

next it will be Atiq Rahimi ~ Earth and Ashes which I picked up for my Olympic challenge. :(

This short novel, which can be read in one sitting, takes readers into the minds of civilians caught up in the extremity and ambiguity of war. Set during the Russian occupation of Afghanistan, an old man and his grandson sit in a deserted landscape. As we watch them, we learn their story

I finished reading Stuart: A Life Backwards last night, this book left me feeling quite sad as it is a lot more powerful than you would at first expect. Not light reading IMO but worth a look.

Stuart, A Life Backwards, is the story of a remarkable friendship between a reclusive writer and illustrator (

I managed to finish Small Island this afternoon, no mean feat as its over 500 pages!! Not too sure what I think of this one now, although I do feel it was a little over hyped. The story itself is a good one, well worth a read, but it is a little long winded at times, hence the size of it. Not one I'd rave about but interesting enough for a random pick at the library. :(

Next I think it might be Purple Hibiscus.

The limits of fifteen-year-old Kambili's world are defined by the high walls of her family estate and the dictates of her repressive and fanatically religious father. Her life is regulated by schedules: prayer, sleep, study, and more prayer.

When Nigeria begins to fall apart during a military coup, Kambili's father, involved mysteriously in the political crisis, sends Kambili and her brother away to live with their aunt. In this house, full of energy and laughter, she discovers life and love - and a terrible, bruising secret deep within her family.

Centring on the promise of freedom and the pain and exhilaration of adolescence, Purple Hibiscus is the extraordinary debut of a remarkable new talent.

I finished Purple Hibiscus and made a start on Eva Rice ~ The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets last night. So far i am liking it, it's a nice light read.

Disappointed with the library today, I did my checking on their website to see which books I wanted that they had in. I had about ten in mind and when I got there, I couldn't find a single one :( they even had 10 copies of one book and i couldn't find them. The staff are less than helpful with comments like 'have you checked the fiction section' when there are really only two sections, fiction and, of course, non fiction. Grrrrrrr, why is it so difficult to actually find a book in the library???? I know what they want, they want me to pay to reserve it, but then that gets very expensive, the amount I read. Shame on them anyway.....

Rant over..... for now :)

I finished The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets today, in a cool spot :) I quite nejoyed this one, a lovely light summer read. Not too taxing on the old grey matter.

Set in the 1950s, in an England still recovering from the Second World War, THE LOST ART OF KEEPING SECRETS is the enchanting story of Penelope Wallace and her eccentric family at the start of the rock'n'roll era. Penelope longs to be grown-up and to fall in love; but various rather inconvenient things keep getting in her way. Like her mother, a stunning but petulant beauty widowed at a tragically early age, her younger brother Inigo, currently incapable of concentrating on anything that isn't Elvis Presley, a vast but crumblng ancestral home, a severe shortage of cash, and her best friend Charlotte's sardonic cousin Harry...

Next will be Harvest ~ Tess Gerritsen

A car-crash victim's heart is to be harvested to Nina. Instead, Dr Abby makes the transplant go to a dying 17-year-old boy. When a new heart for Nina suddenly appears, Abby makes a terrible discovery, it has not come through the right channels. Abby plunges into an investigation that reveals an intricate and murderous chain of deceptions.

I like this book, very gritty, very Tess Gerritsen. I loved all the medical stuff involved (I am a big fan of E.R. so it was like reading an episode at times) and the storyline was gripping. A real page turner.

Next will be Emma ~ Jane Austen

:( Library hasn't processed (?) my reserved books, even though I have the two letters saying they are ready for collection Grrr Arrg :)

Managed to get hold of Sarah Waters ~ Night Watch

Moving back through the 1940s, through air raids, blacked out streets, illicit liaisons, sexual adventure, to end with its beginning in 1941, The Night Watch is the work of a truly brilliant and compelling storyteller. This is the story of four Londoners - three women and a young man with a past, drawn with absolute truth and intimacy. Kay, who drove an ambulance during the war and lived life at full throttle, now dresses in mannish clothes and wanders the streets with a restless hunger, searching ...Helen, clever, sweet, much-loved, harbours a painful secret ...Viv, glamour girl, is stubbornly, even foolishly loyal, to her soldier lover ...Duncan, an apparent innocent, has had his own demons to fight during the war. Their lives, and their secrets connect in sometimes startling ways. War leads to strange alliances ...

Also, Undead and Unwed ~ Mary Janice Davidson arrived today from RISI

'The day I died started out bad and got worse in a hurry...' It's been a hell of a week for Betsy Taylor. First she loses her job. Then she's killed in a freak accident only to wake up as a vampire. On the plus side, being undead sure beats the alternative. She now has superhuman strength and an unnatural effect on the opposite sex. But what Betsy can't handle is her new liquid diet...And whilst Betsy's mother and best-friend are just relieved to find out that being dead doesn't mean Betsy's can't visit, her new 'night-time' friends have the ridiculous idea that Betsy is the prophesied vampire queen. The scrumptious Sinclair and his cohorts want her help in overthrowing the most obnoxious power-hungry vampire in five centuries. (A Bella Lugosi wannabe who seen one to many B-movies.) Frankly Betsy couldn't care less about vamp politics. But Sinclair and his followers have a powerful weapon in their arsenal - unlimited access to Manolo Blahnik's Spring collection. Well, just because a girl's dead - er...undead - doesn't mean she can't have great shoes...

I'm going to be naughty and read Undead and Unwed, even though I haven't finished Emma. :)

I finished Undead and Unwed and thouroughly enjoyed this one. It's so funny, in it's Sex and the City crossed with Dracula kind of way. Definately recommended if your not into run of the mill chick-lit.

AM now going to read the long awaited Golem's Eye by Jonathan Stroud

Two years have passed since the events of "The Amulet of Samarkand" and the young magician, Nathaniel is rising fast through the government ranks. But his career is suddenly threatened by a series of terrifying crises. A dangerous golem makes random attacks on London and other raids, even more threatening, are perpetrated by the Resistance. Nathaniel and Bartimaeus travel to Prague, enemy city of ancient magic, but while they are there uproar breaks out at home and Nathaniel returns to find his reputation in tatters. Can he rescue it from his Machiavellian adversaries in the government bent on his destruction? A thrilling sequel in which the relationship between the young magician and the djinni remains as teasing and complex as ever.