Kat's Reading 2006

Lilywhite

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My name is Kat and I'm a book-a-holic :roll:

I dont really watch tv anymore so my time I use for reading which I find much more satisfying. And sometimes I suprise myself by how fast a book goes by, especially when I'm enjoying it.

BTW, I buy more than I read :)

I finished reading Blood and Water this evening, I wasn't particularly taken with this book although it was quite an interesting story and very easy to read. I've now decided to read Benita Brown ~ Her Rightful Inheritance as I was looking for something different from what I've been reading recently and this was closer to the top of my TBR pile than any others.

Orphaned as a child and the product of a mixed marriage, eighteen-year-old Lorna Cunningham has been brought up by her wealthy grandmother, who neither loves nor likes her. When she meets the sensitive and intelligent Edwin Randall she is delighted to have finally found companionship and shares his passion to do something to improve the terrible conditions in the Newcastle slums. However, their deepening friendship is overshadowed by her infatuation with the handsome but unscrupulous Maurice Haldane, who is engaged to her cousin Rose. When her grandmother dies, a family secret is revealed that will change Lorna's life forever, but will she be able to break free of the past and see where her true happiness lies?

I finished Her Rightful Inheritance tonight, not my usual book but I did want something different! I liked the story but didn't find it overly compelling, I did see it through to the end though. I'm now going to have a read of The Other Boleyn Girl

Mary Boleyn catches the eye of Henry VIII when she comes to court as a girl of fourteen. Dazzled by the golden prince, Mary's joy is cut short when she discovers that she is a pawn in the dynastic plots of her family. When the capricious king's interest wanes, Mary is ordered to her friend and rival: her sister, Anne.

Anne soon becomes irresistible to Henry, and Mary can do nothing but watch her sister's rise. Anne stops at nothing to achieve her own ambition. From now on, Mary will be no more than the other Boleyn girl. But beyond the court is a man who dares to challenge the power of her family to offer Mary a life of freedom and passion. If only she has the courage to break away - before the Boleyn enemies turn on the Boleyn girls...

Absolutley loved TOBG, brilliant. Another cracking story from Philippa Gregory that had me engrossed from first to last page.

I picked up a couple of books from the library the other day, although I forgot to update my list :smile2: so here goes. Hidden ~ Paul Jaskunas and Love in the Time of Cholera ~ Gabriel Garcia Marquez both of these books were just random picks off the shelf so I'm hoping they are good. I also picked out a random book for O's that I might also read before I let him take it back.

I have been reading my OU work today and I do have more to read this week but I am hoping to make a start on Love in the Time of Cholera ~ Gabriel Garcia Marquez very soon.

Florentino Ariza has never forgotten his first love. He has waited nearly a lifetime in silence since his beloved Fermina married another man. No woman can replace her in his heart.

But now her husband is dead. Finally - after fifty-one years, nine months and four days - Florentino has another chance to declare his eternal passion and win her back. Will love that has survived over half a century remain unrequited?

I finished Her Rightful Inheritance tonight, not my usual book but I did want something different! I liked the story but didn't find it overly compelling, I did see it through to the end though.

I read this one recently - it was certainly a break from the norm for me, but I think the fact that I'm from that area & recognised a lto of the places made it a little bit better for me than it otherwise would have done.

Benita Brown has been likened to Catherine Cookson (who also set he books in Northumberland) & she's such a sweetiepie. When I interviewed her for the main page, she was so lovely! I hope that some time when I go down the road I'l be able to meet up with her as she seems so nice. :smile2:

Absolutley loved TOBG, brilliant. Another cracking story from Philippa Gregory that had me engrossed from first to last page.
This is my fave Philippa Gregory to date (& it was also the 1st one of hers I read). I'm hoping to get The Boleyn Inheritance for Xmas...

Lilywhite, I was in Preston on Saturday night. I had an hour and a half wait for a train to Burnley (I know I could have rung my Mum but I knew she'd moan). I was craving a chinese takeaway by the time i arrived in Preston and could only find Indian takeaways in the town..:smile2: !

Unfortunatley Icecream, we do have a lack of Chinese places unless you know where to go and there isn't one near the train station I know of. They are opening a Japanese restaurant just at the top of the train station though, they are even flying in trained Japanese chef's.

Unfortunatley Icecream, we do have a lack of Chinese places unless you know where to go and there isn't one near the train station I know of. They are opening a Japanese restaurant just at the top of the train station though, they are even flying in trained Japanese chef's.

Wow. Sounds good. Not to worry I took one home from near to the house instead:icon_oops:

I'm quite excited now as Lesley Pearse ~ Hope arrived in the post this morning in all it's hardback glory (it's massive). I have put it beside my bed and I have told myself not to read it until I have a) read my library books, :smile2: caught up on my OU stuff and c) made a dent in my tbr pile. Although, by reading it first it will be a huge part of my tbr pile gone as it is so big...... Hmmmm :lol:

I'm quite excited now as Lesley Pearse ~ Hope arrived in the post this morning in all it's hardback glory (it's massive). I have put it beside my bed and I have told myself not to read it until I have a) read my library books, :smile2: caught up on my OU stuff and c) made a dent in my tbr pile. Although, by reading it first it will be a huge part of my tbr pile gone as it is so big...... Hmmmm :lol:

Can i borrow it when your finished????????

Pretty please with a huge cherry on top......:lol:

I've now started Hidden ~ Paul Jaskunas which is another of the library books I picked up last week.

Then: Maggie Wilson lies on her bedroom floor. She is unconscious, her pulse is slow, and she is bleeding from three wounds. Yet she is still alive. Adn she nows who attacked her.

Now: Maggoe's testimony was enough to convict her husband, and, six years later, he remains behind bars. But another man has stepped forward and confessed to the crime. Suddenly Maggie is forced to rethink everything she believed.

Alone in her house with her memories, surrounded by police reports, photographs and court records, Maggie is determined to recover the truth about that night. Her journey into the dark corners of her mind is as gripping as it is haunting.

Currently Reading (1)

The Firemaster's Mistress ~ Christie Dickason

Read This Year

50. Philippa Gregory ~The Boleyn Inheritance (4/5)

49. Terry Pratchett ~ The Color of Magic (4/5)

48. Sarah Pinborough ~ The Taken (4/5)

47. Ann Cleeves ~ Hidden Depths (1/5)

46. Martina Cole ~ Close (5/5)

45. Undead and Unreturnable ~ MaryJanice Davidson (4/5)

44. Maggies Tree - Julie Walters (2/5)

43. Jeanne Kalogridis ~ Painting Mona Lisa (3/5)

42. Holly A Harvey ~ Karma (4.5/5)

41. June Hampson ~ Broken Bodies (4/5)

40. Catherine Ryan Hyde ~ Love In The Present Tense(3/5)

39. Without Consent ~ Katherine Fox (4/5)

38. The Crimson Petal and The White ~ Michel Faber (5/5)

37. Barbara Erskine ~ Daughters of Fire (2/5)

35. D.H. Lawrence ~ Lady Chatterley's Lover (3/5)

34. Vicky Halls ~ Cat Confidential (4/5)

33. Stef Penney ~ The Tenderness of Wolves (4/5)

32. Clive Barker ~ The Thief of Always (3/5)

31. Sophie Hannah ~ Little Face (2/5)

30. Kelley Armstrong ~ Industrial Magic (4/5)

29. Vladimir Nabokov ~ Lolita (4/5)

28. Mandasue Heller ~ The Game (3/5)

27. Kath Woodward (Ed.) ~ Knowlede and the social sciences: theory, method, practice (Not Many left now)

26. Margaret Atwood ~ Alias Grace (4/5)

25. Joe Hill ~ Heart-Shaped Box (2/5)

24. Torey Hayden ~ Twilight Children (4/5)

23. Laurell K Hamilton ~ The Circus of The Damned (2/5)

22. Laurell K Hamilton ~ The Laughing Corpse (2/5)

21. Laurell K Hamilton ~ Guilty Pleasures (2/5)

20. J.M. Warwick ~ An Open Vein (4/5)

19. Craig Russell ~ Brother Grimm (4/5)

18. Edited by David Held ~ A Globalizing World?? (Yuck!)

17. William Broderick ~ The Garden of The Dead (1/5)

16. Jacquelyn Mitchard ~ The Deep End Of The Ocean (3/5)

15. Jed Rubenfeld ~ The Interpretation of Murder (4/5)

14. Ken Dornstein ~ The Boy Who Fell Out Of The Sky (2/5)

13. Philippa Gregory ~ The Constant Princess (4/5)

12. Terry Pratchett ~ Wee Free Men (4/5)

11. Edited by Gordon Hughes and Ross Ferguson ~ Ordering Lives (another OU Workbook)

10. Kevin Brockmeier ~ The Brief History Of The Dead (5/5)

9. Maggie O'Farrell ~ The Vanishing Acts of Esme Lennox (4/5)

8. Jeanne Kalogridis ~ The Borgia Bride (4/5)

7. Gregory Maguire ~ Son of a Witch (3/5)

6. Katherine Warwick ~ Dancing With His Heart (4/5)

5. Gregory Maguire ~ Wicked (3/5)

4. John Grogan ~ Marley and Me (5/5)

3. Raven Hart ~ The Vampire's Seduction (4/5)

2. Steve Hinchliffe and Kath Woodward ~ The Natural and the Social: Uncertainty, Risk and Change (shows I read it at least)

1. Jonathan Stroud ~ Buried Fire (2/5)

On Hold

Emma Darwin ~ The Mathematics Of Love

Keith Donohue ~ The Stolen Child

Waiting to Arrive (0)

To Be Read (73)

Christopher Paolini ~ Eldest

Trudi Canavan ~ The Priestess of the White, Last of The Wilds, Voice of The Gods

Stephen King ~ Christine, Everything's Eventual, Needful Things, Pet Semetary, Nightmares & Dreamscapes, Insomnia, IT, Cell, Misery, The Stand, The Bachman Books, Lisey's Story

Terry Pratchett ~ Feet of Clay, The Truth, The Light Fantastic

Tess Gerritsen ~ Body Double

Mick Foley ~ Mankind Have a Nice Day

Philippa Gregory ~ Wideacre, Virgin Earth, Fallen Skies

Philip Pullman ~ Northern Lights, The Amber Spyglass

Jean Plaidy ~ The Lady in the Tower

Bram Stoker ~ Dracula

Val McDermid ~ Distant Echo

G.P. Taylor ~ Shadowmancer, Wormwood

Sarah Waters ~ Fingersmith

Joanne Harris ~ Coastliners

Michael J Fox ~ Lucky Man

Jeff Abott ~ Panic

Elizabeth Chadwick ~ The Loveknot, Shadows and Strongholds, The Greatest Knight, The Champion, The Marsh King's Daughter

Barb Hendee, J.C. Hendee ~ Dhampir, Thief of Lives, Sister of The Dead, Traitor to The Blood

Kelley Armstrong ~ Broken, No Humans Involved, Haunted

Sarah Dunant ~ Transgressions

Sebastian Japrisot ~ A Very Long Engagement

Liz Maverick ~ Crimson City

Alex Duval ~ Vampire Beach: Bloodlust

Lesley Pearse ~ Hope

Tori Hayden ~ Beautiful Child

John Boyne ~ The Boy In The Striped Pyjamas

Markus Zusak ~ The Book Thief

Sam Enthoven ~ The Black Tattoo

Jonathan Nasaw ~ The Girls He Adored, Fear Itself, 27 Bones

Tana French ~ In The Woods

Cody McFadyen ~ Shadow Man

Kit Craig ~ Strait

Kim Harrison ~ Dead Witch Walking, The good, The Bad and The Undead, A Fistful of Charms

Maggie Prince ~ Raider's Tide

Kathleen O'Malley ~ Childhood Interrupted

Karen Moline ~ Belladonna

Jodi Picoult ~ 19 Seconds

James Robertson ~ The Testament of Gideon Mack

John Connolly ~ The Book of Lost Things

Jeanne Kalogridis ~ Burning Times

Karen Miller ~ The Innocent Mage

David Wellington ~ Monster Island

Mitch Albom ~ For One More Day

Sarah Waters ~ Affinity

Mary Janice Davidson ~ Undead and Unpopular

Joe McKinney ~ Dead City

Raven Hart ~ The Vampire Seduction

Want To Read

Elizabeth Chadwick ~ The Winter Mantle, The Conquest, The Scarlet Lion, Daughters of The Grail, Shields of Pride, A Place Beyond Courage, The Falcons of Montabard, Bride Fire

Robert Daley ~ The Enemy of God

Philippa Gregory ~ The Favoured Child, Meridion

Ian Holding ~ Unfeeling

Poppy Z Brite ~ Exquisite Corpse

Jodi Picoult ~ Second Glance

Gary Troup ~ Bad Twin

Souad ~ Burned Alive

Neil Gaiman ~ Coraline

Jostein Gaarder ~ The Christmas Mystery

Michelle Rowan ~ Bitten and Smitten

Gregory Maguire ~ Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister, Lost

Carrie Vaughn ~ Kitty and the Midnight Hour, Kitty Goes to Washington

Karen Chance ~ Touch The Dark, Claimed by Shadow

Kim Harrison ~ Every Witch Way But Dead

Mandasue Heller ~ The Club, The Front, Tainted Lives, Forget Me Not, The Charmer

Jon McGregor ~ If Nobody Speaks of Remarkable Things

Robert Neill ~ Mist Over Pendle

Kate Mulholland ~ A Cry Of Innocence

Mary-Janice Davidson - Undead and Uneasy

Philip Carlo ~ The Ice Man: Confessions of a Mafia Contract Killer