Weight Loss and Getting in Shape

AbielleRose

MrsLovebug, I don't know much about the Wii Fit but I can tell you one thing - whether or not you exercise, what and how much you eat makes all the difference.

Thanks for the info. You've made me feel a little better. I mean, I knew it would make a difference, but I always thought that I would have to do more exercise to be able to see that much of a difference.

I haven't really been to a gym since my schooldays so I can't really say I hate them as such, but I think its probably more to do with self confidence. I don't really have any at the best of times, so plucking up the courage to go to a gym or any sort of public class would scare me to death. One of my work colleagues goes to a spin class and that sounds like fun, but again walking into a place where the majority of people are slim, toned and fit compared to me... yeah, I don't think so!

One good thing is that I don't drive so I do tend to do a fair bit of walking anyway. I walk to and from work and usually go for a walk at lunchtime too, providing the weather isn't too bad, so I guess that's probably a start right?

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walking is probably one of the best forms of exercise there is. It's something that I have always done pretty much, even since I learnt to drive. I used to do what some people call walking marathons, and even now when I am on holiday, am sometimes out walking for almost 12 hours at the height of summer. Half my wardrobe consists of walking gear and waterproofs.

I was worried too when I first joined a gym, about 5 years ago (We had to cancel our membership about a year and a half ago, as it was getting too expensive, so don't go anymore). I too thought it would be full of fit, lycra clad young things, but most of them were just like me - middle aged and slightly out of condition! The ironic thing is that now I am working full time, I could afford to start it up again, but I don't have the time to go. I have a fairly active job anyway, as a housekeeper in a nursing home, so it doesn't matter that much. I would though like to get a cross trainer to put in the living room, as that's the one machine that exercises just about everything and it's something that Coran could also use without aggravating her sciatica. Coran's nephew manages a sports shop, so we will have to ask him for advice.

When I weighed myself this morning, I was surprised to find that I have actually lost about 3lbs in weight, which isn't bad, considering I haven't really been trying. And that's simply from eating fruit instead of breakfast cereal and cutting out a few snacks - not bad !

Edited by Talisman

edit: Noll + pontalba, you're incredibly sweet <3. I want to try and slow my weight loss down a little, reach my goal slower than I am now. I've perhaps become a little obsessed with calorie counting. :/

It's easy to do. You should see me checking out carb amounts on labels and on line! lol

I haven't really been to a gym since my schooldays so I can't really say I hate them as such, but I think its probably more to do with self confidence. I don't really have any at the best of times, so plucking up the courage to go to a gym or any sort of public class would scare me to death. One of my work colleagues goes to a spin class and that sounds like fun, but again walking into a place where the majority of people are slim, toned and fit compared to me... yeah, I don't think so!

One good thing is that I don't drive so I do tend to do a fair bit of walking anyway. I walk to and from work and usually go for a walk at lunchtime too, providing the weather isn't too bad, so I guess that's probably a start right?

Walking is probably one of the best forms of exercise there is. It's something that I have always done pretty much, even since I learnt to drive. I used to do what some people call walking marathons, and even now when I am on holiday, am sometimes out walking for almost 12 hours at the height of summer. Half my wardrobe consists of walking gear and waterproofs.

I was worried too when I first joined a gym, about 5 years ago (We had to cancel our membership about a year and a half ago, as it was getting too expensive, so don't go anymore). I too thought it would be full of fit, lycra clad young things, but most of them were just like me - middle aged and slightly out of condition! The ironic thing is that now I am working full time, I could afford to start it up again, but I don't have the time to go. I have a fairly active job anyway, as a housekeeper in a nursing home, so it doesn't matter that much. I would though like to get a cross trainer to put in the living room, as that's the one machine that exercises just about everything and it's something that Coran could also use without aggravating her sciatica. Coran's nephew manages a sports shop, so we will have to ask him for advice.

When I weighed myself this morning, I was surprised to find that I have actually lost about 3lbs in weight, which isn't bad, considering I haven't really been trying. And that's simply from eating fruit instead of breakfast cereal and cutting out a few snacks - not bad !

^^^^What she said! I was very reluctant, but eager at the same time to try the gym. But my husband needs to get there for the cardio, so we both registered. I bought some proper togs, girded my loins, so to speak, and we went. Hah. LOTS of the women, and men too are overweight, some Very Much so, and working hard at the Killer as I call it...the stepper is it's official name, personally I think it is the work of the devil. hee hee It's true I would have felt very peculiar going in by myself, but he was so confident, it rubbed off on me.

Talisman, you are so right about simply walking. It's great, easy, and free. :) In my old neighborhood I used to walk all the time, and you'd think in the country it would be easier. Not necessairly. The road our house is located on is a wind tunnel in the winter, and a sauna in the summer. grrrrr

We have a wii, have had for a "few" months. Husband is now putting it into action. Yays! :D

Good luck everyone with your targets, diets and exercises! :)

It should come as no surprise that I'll be joining your ranks :P I'm just sick of myself, so I've decided to do something about it. I've been eating healthy for the last few weeks and I have an eating regime, I'm also going to start and exercise as well and I'll try and cut down on the nights out with a few drinks.

I was smoke-free for quite a few weeks last fall, but then December was there, with all the parties and festivities and I found myself smoking a cigarrette a few too many times. So I'm going to try and quit, once again. I bought nicotine gum yesterday and I have my lovely and very handy e-cig so I should be fine. As long as I stay out of pubs for the next two weeks (whenever I have a drink, I start craving cigarettes like a madman).

I've been awful the last few days, everything went totally out the window, and I've been hiding from this thread because of it. However, I knew I was going to fall off the horse (and get dragged along by the stirrup) at some point, so it's better to get it over with early and maintain enthusiasm for getting back on track! Which I plan to do. After today. (In fairness, I'm meeting a friend for dinner, it's not like I'm going scoffing a tub of Ben & Jerry's, but I'm not going to count today anyway.)

The weekend will probably be pretty bad too as I'm meant to be visiting a friend in Dublin, but other than that I'm actually looking forward to getting back on track.

I thought I better finally post in this thread since I, like many of you, are trying to shed some pounds. I've been concentrating it more in the new year though and figure that another source of support (ie you guys) is always a good thing! :D

I'm in the process of changing my diet around. I'm already a healthy eater, it's just that I get minimal exercize except when I'm at my second job which hasn't been much lately. I try to eat as many fruits and vegies as I can, I don't drink soda and I'm getting in more qhole grains, chicken and fish. I started to think about a diet I did a few years ago which was very successful for me. It was more concentrated on combining certain foods which in turn speeds up metabolism.

Has anyone tried to boost metabolism? I've read that ginger and fruit is a good combo, as well as spinach and fish, legumes and whole grains, etc. It's the vitamins and enzymes in these foods apparently that have a certain way of digesting which is the key. I don't know very much yet but I find it really interesting and am trying very hard to eat this way.

Good luck, guys!

Frankie, I've heard that smoking is one of the hardest habits to break, and it doesn't help a bit if you're around smokers. I'm thankful I never really started, I can't imagine the pain of quitting. I smoked a few cigarettes when I was younger, but somehow it didn't get a hold of me. The gum will help you, I am sure, plus your determination. Good Luck!!! :friends0:

Nollaig, Ok, you "fell off the wagon", it happens. Just don't let it stop you from getting back on again. That's the danger of falling off, we give up, and say the heck with it. No good, that route. You have a goal to start again Monday......well, keep it, and really, work toward it some this week and weekend....don't give 'way all the way. Resist some of the temptations this week, and it'll be easier on Monday I think.

And don't hide from this thread if you slip, everyone here slips sometimes and we can help each other get back up, dust ourselves off, and get going again! :empathy:

Peacefield, I haven't heard of boost metabolism (with foods) before, interesting concept, and I'd welcome it, for sure! I have read that exercise will boost our metabolism for 24 hours or so.

Giving up soda is a great step in the right direction. I've found that giving up sugars helps me, whether I'm on a diet or not.

Now that I'm on the Atkins, it is so low carb that I'm getting virtually no sugar/carbs at all, and you know what? I'm sleeping better and longer than I have in years. I'd rarely get more than 5 or 6 hours sleep, and now I can get back to sleep after that 5 or 6 hours. And sleep soundly too.

I've also read that not getting enough sleep can contribute to weight gain. So, the above is another plus.

I've lost 10 pounds since the 2nd of the month, I've been stagnant for the last few days though, weight wise.

I did slip the other day when we went across the lake, we were in the Mall, at the Food Court, and I ate a roast beef sandwich...the bread was a no-no, but it was French Bread....fortunately the lowest in carbs, so wasn't as bad as I thought it was.

Roast Beef po-boys (on french) have always been my most favorite of sandwiches. :D

Hyzenthlay, Bikini! That you can wear one at all is wonderful, you go girl! :doowapstart:

Well, my bikini that I post-ordered from asos.com arrived today. I tried it on.. surprise surprise.. it's a bit tight. It fits, but I'm not comfortable. So I guess I need to lose just a *little* more and see if that helps. Doesn't help to be wintery pale either.

Good for you for wearing a bikini in the first place! I haven't had the confidence to wear even a one-piece for years!

That's the danger of falling off, we give up, and say the heck with it. No good, that route.

I'm guilty of that, or at least I used to be. I'm still going strong at the moment, although I have had a few temptations at work this week. Yesterday I had to turn down cream cakes that one of the girls at work brought in, and today I had to turn down a slice of carrot cake and I love carrot cake! I did it though, so go me! I'm actually quite proud of myself and in turn it's making it easier to say no. I do know I'm bound to slip up at some point, so the longer I can go the better!

Well done to everyone for keeping so strong and for doing so well!

Well done everyone! I am doing well and I did Zumba for the second time last night and I really enjoyed it the second time round because I knew what I was doing and I feel much healthier second week round.

My aim is to fit into some jeans that are a size smaller as my first goal, and I'm going to weigh myself tomorrow for like the first time in what seems like years... eek!

Wow this thread is great and the place for me at the moment. I have put on so much weight, I sit hating myself and feeling all tubby all of the time, its got to stop! I have bought myself a cross trainer and am waiting for it to be delivered, sick of waiting now tbh as I order it 10 days ago and still no news on when its going to get here, thats 10 days where I could have been using the blighter!

I have all the exercise games for the Wii but I want something more intensive than that as its more of a light workout and I need to lose a lot of pounds, especially from my legs and butt, so I needed something that would make me work more. I think the cross trainer will be great, my Wii exercises will be a warm up and cool down for after the trainer.

I am dreading weighing myself............

Oh, Mrs.L! have I ever fallen off in the past! The older I get though, somehow, the easier it is to stay on. Excepting French Bread though. :giggle: Must stay away from that. Good for you passing on the cakes, I know how hard that was. You are right, the more we refuse, the easier it gets. I try to think to myself that the cake/cookie/brownie etc are trying to kill me. That makes it a bit easier. And, in a sense it is true. If I keep on the way I've been the last few years, it won't be good for me At All.

BookGeek, Wow, Zumba looks great, lots of fun.

HoneyGirl, don't feel like the Lone Ranger. I've, that is we've, both husband and I have gained 30[ish] pounds in the last 2 years. That. Has. To. Stop! Be ever so careful in the cross trainer....I twisted my knee on the one [or at least the elliptical trainer at the gym last week, not badly enough to stop the treadmill, but I did have to stay off a day and ice it on and off all day.

We're all doing well! Brava! :D

Hi everyone. I thought I'd pop in as I am trying to lose a bit of weight and improve my general fitness and body shape. I don't need to lose much. Maybe half a stone to a stone. The last time I weighed I was about 10 stone and I'd really like to get down to 9 stone. However I haven't weighed in ages and I think I've got a little smaller in the waist: last Saturday I went to replace a certain pair of jeans (same store, same cut etc) and found I'd dropped a waist size - woot woot! I've also got back into a favourite pair of trousers I haven't worn in years - just. I'm wearing them now and they are a little snug at the waist lol.

So I'm trying to eat sensibly and cut out the naughty things and introduce a bit more portion control. I generally eat quite healthily, plenty of wholegrains, fruit and veg etc.

I've been exercising roughly twice a week for some time now, a zumba class and a gym session (a little inconsistently, and in December it all took a nose dive lol) but I'd like to get back into that and add in one swim per week on top.

One thing I'd love to achieve is toned arms - but I fear at my age flabby upper arms is inevitable! :D.

Anyways that's me.

Good luck everyone.

I have been a bit naughty as well today - I had another brownie this morning and those wheat free choccie biscuits that we on offer in Sainsbury's were just too good to pass up. I did though spend another fortune on fruit and veg, with loads of grapefruits and oranges for my morning juice. So I guess it will be back on the wagon for me tomorrow as well. Somehow I find it much harder to stick to eating healthily when I have days off, as it is so much easier to go and raid the cupboards and start picking, but I will do my best to be strong !

The weekend was rather calorie-loaded for me. How are all of your diets going? I have a hard time not snacking in the evenings, I find the best thing is just to keep busy with something or other. Otherwise it's like the fridge is calling to me, wanting me to snack on even stupid things like... I don't know, bread with cheese.

Did some spinning today, and feel better for it, though.

HoneyGirl, I really understand how you feel about the weighing! When I knew I'd gained weight I didn't weigh myself for ages because I just knew I wasn't going to like what was coming.

These days I weigh myself every morning and every evening, because I'm worried weight gain will just sneak up on me like it did before. It's like I need to check, see that it's okay. I don't like it much, though.

Great Nollaig! Even better when you actually don't want the food. And it's not even Monday! :e010:

Talisman, Funny, I find it easier to stick to the diet when we are home. Thing is, I don't bring the "bad" foods into the house. I try to cut it off at the knees that way. I do have some mixes in the cubboard though they are too much trouble for a passing fancy I know I shouldn't/can't have.

Hyzenthlay, I feel like I want to weigh every two seconds. lol But we've vowed to weigh every day once we lose the weight, and if we go up a pound, back to diet for a day or two. However long it takes. I do weigh every day now, which I don't really think is a good thing, but I'm compulsive. :D

Andrea, yes, portion control is a good thing. We load our plates to brimming, and wonder why we gain weight. :banghead:

Another day of sticking to the diet, with still one meal to go. /phew!/ :lurker: We had a huge salad earlier, went to the gym, used the treadmill, increasing incline and time a couple more minutes.

My Wii weighs me every day and it got to the point last year when it really upset me if I had put on a pound or two I felt so down and demoralised by a machine but then I decided that I would start to take it in my stride and not become to obsessed with it, as I am wont to do, no point in worrying all the time.

I have been good this week with my eating habits its always fresh food, I just need to cut down on the portion size really, I have bought no chocolate and eated very little sweet things so its possible to survive without it and if I do eat something nice then its a treat rather than the norm.

I find it easier to avoid sugary foods on the days that I'm not working, which is weird in a way because there is always something available to eat at work - whether it's chocolates, biscuits, sweets or cakes. However, it tends to be the evenings after work that's my downfall, or at least it was prior to the new me! I blame the job itself though, or more specifically my boss. When she's in one of her moods, which touch wood she hasn't been in a while, things in the office tend to get a bit stressful with a really bad atmosphere, sometimes for weeks on end, and that's when I tend to turn to comfort food in the evenings... I guess it's a way of cheering myself up! So far this year everything's been okay on the job front so maybe that's one of the reasons why I've been able to stay so strong with my food intake. I guess the real test for me will be when work gets stressful again!

Well, we fell off the wagon somewhat, eating too many carbs.....first we stopped and ate stuffed crepes, then this evening close to home we stopped at Starbucks and gave in to a white chocolate mocha latte. /glum/ Oh well, it was delicious. Tomorrow, back to the program.

It's hard to keep to Atkins on the road. No excuses though, but I was exhausted after a day of driving and shopping. :P

Well done everyone especially for getting back on the bandwagon etc :)

As for me I was a little naughty and I went out for a curry last night oops! (But at least it wasnt chinese or fish and chips I suppose!) But on the plus side, I havent weighed myself yet, I have no idea how much I weigh and well I'm kind of too scared to step on the scales anyway. I'm back on track today though and I actually after nearly two weeks of eating healthily I feel healthier, my skin looks better and I feel slimmer round the middle! But goodness knows if I've lost anything because I'm too scared of the scales, but I'll safely say I think I've lost at least maybe 4lbs :D I'm going to keep on with this diet because I do not want to start snacking and over eating again like I did before and I used to feel soo guilty for over eating and buying like crisps and chocolate from the shop by my house, but now I find it easier to just go without. I will be fitter this year I am so determined to do so!

You guys need to start lobbing heavy objects at me. I'm serious. I was bold again this weekend - but.... (excuses excuses)... I did actually have a god awful weekend. I was miserable Friday night and to be honest the last two days weren't much better. I've had a good think about things tho, and I'm feeling more positive, so back on the bandwagon tomorrow.

My last proper stint was four days (for me, that's a long time, how sad is that?), but I'm counting down six days now til a gig on Saturday night. Six days of being good, then low fat treats (maybe some...or quite a few...weightwatchers cookies and skim milk) on Sunday. That's my deal with myself.

If I feel like I'm going to fall off the wagon I'm running here to post and you all have to throw books at me or something. :thud:

*Throws things at Nollaig*

Think about how good you'll feel when results show! These things take time. Be patient. Don't trade long-term happiness for immediate satisfaction. FIND OTHER WAYS TO TREAT YOURSELF THAT ARENT FOCUSED ON FOOD! (<-- I need to do this too)

Enough pep talk for one day. :) I had my usual weekend break from worrying about this stuff, and ate m&m's yesterday. Guilt free. But now it's back to the usual healthy diet.

Hahaha that was the most textbook pep talk I've ever heard. Thank you :lol: It made me laugh. You're right though, I do need to find other ways of treating myself. No idea what though. Food is my god. :giggle:

One small bag of m&m's? I wish I had the willpower to eat ONLY one small bag of m&m's. You know those resealable pouches of things like m&ms, Malteasers, Minstrels etc? That's my standard size bag of chocolate. Anything smaller and my stomach is just like, 'what is this ridiculous offering, wench?'

I'mma be good. I'mma be good. I'mma be good.