Weight Loss and Getting in Shape

AbielleRose

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't lost any weight in a month, and now I've lost 1,5 kg from yesterday. I'm stunned and happy :D

Good for you! :D

If you've been working out you should try measuring yourself too because you could be losing inches but gaining muscle which weighs more.

Good for you! :D

If you've been working out you should try measuring yourself too because you could be losing inches but gaining muscle which weighs more.

Thanks Cookie :D I've thought about measuring myself but I haven't been able to find my measure and I don't fancy the idea of it that much, because I know I'd be more than likely to measure myself differently every time :D I'll rely on my clothes and the mirror.

Also, if I remember correctly, females aren't able to gain muscle so quickly that that could be my reason for not losing more weight in the last month :D

How's everyone else doing?

Congratulations Frankie. Oh, and I was shocked to find that you smoked! I'm not sure why, but I guess I wouldn't have guessed it of you. I'm glad you're trying to cut back though. As for rewarding yourself, I've been trying to come up with ideas, but I have nothing! Is there something in particular that you would like to save up for? If so, you could put your smoking money to the side and give yourself a giant reward in a few months' time.

I'm not sure if I've lost any weight. I've had a couple of bad eating days and haven't been up to going to the gym. :D

Hey Frankie, have you thought about treating yourself to new shoes or a handbag? That way you can still use them after you've lost weight.

Do you use nail polish or make up? They are cheap and cheerful ways to treat yourself and you can't eat them.:blush:

Congratulations Frankie. Oh, and I was shocked to find that you smoked! I'm not sure why, but I guess I wouldn't have guessed it of you. I'm glad you're trying to cut back though. As for rewarding yourself, I've been trying to come up with ideas, but I have nothing! Is there something in particular that you would like to save up for? If so, you could put your smoking money to the side and give yourself a giant reward in a few months' time.

I'm not sure if I've lost any weight. I've had a couple of bad eating days and haven't been up to going to the gym.

Kylie, I somehow knew it that you'd be shocked, and part of me thought "I hope she doesn't think less of me" and the other part thought "she must know so she won't think I'm better than I yam!", if you know what I mean. I'll also have you know that I do drink. :)

I'm sure you'll get into the gym mode soon, and will get back on track. We all have our bad days when we just can't pull it off, so don't worry about it too much :blush:

Hey Frankie, have you thought about treating yourself to new shoes or a handbag? That way you can still use them after you've lost weight.

Do you use nail polish or make up? They are cheap and cheerful ways to treat yourself and you can't eat them.

Cookie, great suggestions as such, but I have to say this eventhough I'll come out like a guy: I hate shoe shopping and I only have one handbag which I'll take with me to all occasions :) It's 4 years old and doesn't really go with anything I ever wear, but I love it to bits!

I don't do nail polish either because I think it looks silly on me, eventhough I'd like black or blue or turquoise. I hardly ever wear any make-up either :) I guess I do those things more when I'm more comfortable about myself and nearer my ideal weight.

I thought of something: I love getting a massage so I think I'll be saving up for that :D

Edit: I just joined the Gilmore Girls group on FB and have been taking a look at the pics the fans have posted and I figured GG DVD sets would be an excellent reward.

Edited by frankie

Kylie, I somehow knew it that you'd be shocked, and part of me thought "I hope she doesn't think less of me" and the other part thought "she must know so she won't think I'm better than I yam!", if you know what I mean. I'll also have you know that I do drink. :)

Oh my gosh Frankie! I could never think less of you for smoking (or for any other reason). :blush: Smoking doesn't make you a lesser person at all. It just surprised me, that's all. And I already knew that you drink as well. I'm definitely in the minority on that one. :) Most people think there's something wrong with me because I don't drink (Australia has a very big drinking culture).

Edit: I just joined the Gilmore Girls group on FB and have been taking a look at the pics the fans have posted and I figured GG DVD sets would be an excellent reward.

Oh, that's a brilliant idea! Why didn't I think of that? :)

And I already knew that you drink as well. I'm definitely in the minority on that one. :) Most people think there's something wrong with me because I don't drink (Australia has a very big drinking culture).

I think you would get that here as well, people thinking you're a bit strange for not drinking. They might think you're totally abstinent which hardly ever goes down well here in Finland (unless everyone knows you used to be a reckless alcoholic) or that you are sick and can't drink because of antibiotics (and even that doesn't stop some people from suggesting you could still have a pint or two :)). If you're in a bar and drink water only and people in the same table are drinking, they're bound to ask you at one point why you're not drinking. I won't think you're strange at all, though :blush:

Yep I've heard that the Aussies don't spit in the mug when it comes to alcohol (another Finnish saying). They can't be any worse than the Finns, though, I'm sure!

Drinking is a personal thing isn't it? I seem to have a built in limiting mechanism for alcohol. If it's beer I can only drink about 2 pints and I don't enjoy it after that, I am too bloated up. So I am completely pathetic on a lad's night out, I always have been. I would be laughed out of Australia or Finland.

With wine that is more dangerous for me, I can easily drink more than a bottle . Laundry Fairy says I am strange because I sip beer but glug wine like water. However I fall asleep quite quickly with wine.

Vodka is the only spirit I can drink, and gives me the most pleasant feeling, but I only drink it rarely.

Well done for losing some weight Frankie.

Congrats frankie!

Its so hot my appetite is just about nil. I live off salads and smoothies and grilled food during the summer months. That helps alot. I'm also drinking more water, less coffee and soda.

Two investments I/we made was the abcircle that the whole family can use. The other is strictly for me:D I splurged on those new Sketcher Tone-ups yesterday. I put them on for the first time today and I LOVE them! The heel is about 2 inches higher than regular sneakers but after the first couple of steps it was easy to get use to. Now I can walk comfortably and excercise at the same time!

I cant and WONT do the gym. What a cesspole of nasty germs. I've watched how people would use the machine, sweat all over it and then move to the next one. No one cleaned and disinfected the thing. I refuse to sit on it. Its like sitting directly on a public toliet. Not to mention the air thats circulating around those places. Not very good ventilation. So, overall, I get what excercise I can from at home and outside. I also have a book that I'm reading bit by bit called French Women Dont Get Fat. I like that it expounds using things in our daily lives to become fit. Parking far from the door, using the steps, playing at the park with the kiddies, etc...my kind of excercise. Something that doesnt actually say exercise!

It also helps to have to pick up a 25 pound 5 month old and a 30 pound 2 year old!

So far, since April, I've lost about 12 pounds. For me, I dont want to be thin, just healthy.

OK, I work in a school, and so my 6 weeks holiday start on Wednesday. Yay!

I really need to lose weight; 4 stone to get to the top end of my healthy weight range - I'm not aiming for that any time soon, but would like to lose at least one stone by the end of the year, and I have decided to use my 6 weeks off to get my eating habits sorted out and do a bit more exercise (exercise for me usually consists of turning the pages of my current book :(). I don't want to lose weight too fast, as I always just put it back on again with an extra half stone, but last time I lost a stone and a half over six months it has stayed off.

So, I am planning to start on a low carb diet, because I know from experience that this works better for me than calorie counting or any other form of diet. Not no carb, but low carb, so I can still have some fruit and veg every day. (I had to show the book I am working from to my 15 year old, as he was very concerned that I would be doing myself harm by having too few carbs!)

I am currently getting my shopping list ready for the end of the week, and I have ordered the recommended vitamin/mineral supplements.

Exercise, well, I live in a beautiful rural area next to the sea, so I think I will aim to enjoy a good walk every day over my holidays. Good for the spirits as well as my weight! :D

And now I have told you guys, I will have to do it! Well done to all of you who have been losing weight so far!

Good luck Ooshie!

While I can't notice any difference when I look in the mirror, I must be losing weight because I'm starting to have to hitch all my pants up again. Yay! I'll need to start using belts again soon.

Good luck Ooshie!

While I can't notice any difference when I look in the mirror, I must be losing weight because I'm starting to have to hitch all my pants up again. Yay! I'll need to start using belts again soon.

Congratulations on the progress! That's always a good feeling.

Has anyone tried P90X?? I started 2 weeks ago and I can really feel a difference. I'm more toned and even though I can't really see a difference on the scale, I thik I've lost about 2 pounds I feel a lot better.

I feel liked I've been on every diet out there but this time I think I might be able to do it.

Drinking is a personal thing isn't it? I seem to have a built in limiting mechanism for alcohol. If it's beer I can only drink about 2 pints and I don't enjoy it after that, I am too bloated up. So I am completely pathetic on a lad's night out, I always have been. I would be laughed out of Australia or Finland.

With wine that is more dangerous for me, I can easily drink more than a bottle . Laundry Fairy says I am strange because I sip beer but glug wine like water. However I fall asleep quite quickly with wine.

Vodka is the only spirit I can drink, and gives me the most pleasant feeling, but I only drink it rarely.

Well done for losing some weight Frankie.

It's a very personal thing indeed. With beer, if one's out to get drunk, one needs to drink more in quantity than with wine, and it's sure to make you feel bloated. You feel that way after two pints! How much is a pint, by the way? Here you get 0,33 litres if you want a small one or a bottle, then there's 0,40 and 0,50 as well.

I think it's only good if you body can't deal with more than two pints of beer or drink too much wine before dozing off, it'll make you not be able to crash :) Have you tried Finlandia vodka?

Ooshie, you must be in a total state of bliss, your 6 week hols starting tomorrow, I'm happy for you! Working in a school is great that way, isn't it? I'm also happy to hear you've decided to dedicate your hols to start doing more exercise and fix your eating habits. We'll be expecting daily reports from you for the next 6 weeks, missy :) Awww, it's so sweet your son's concerned about your diet, he obviously cares about his Mum.

Kylie, that's excellent news about the pants, I'm so proud of you :D It must be an amazing feeling.

Last week I was helping my parents with their move and I worked pretty hard from Monday to Thursday. I wasn't too strict with my diet because I knew I was getting loads of exercise, however I made sure I wouldn't overdo the whole eating thing. Last weekend was Midsummer here and I was out with friends on Friday and spending lovely recovery days on Sat+Sun and I have to say I quite overate. I weighed myself on Monday and I'd put on 3,5 kg! I wasn't too surprised though... However, most of it must be just excess fluids because today I weighed 1,5 kilos less than yesterday.

I'm also back to the gym now that I'm home, I went yesterday after a 1,5 weeks off and it was good fun! I did 30 minutes with the crosstrainer and the bike and then I did the whole 7 page routine I have, previously I've only done 4 pages at one time and 3 pages the next time. I was at the gym for about two hours and I felt so good and energetic after that. I <3 gym.

Today I'm going to Zumba with a friend, it's been a month since the last time.

I'm also back to the gym now that I'm home, I went yesterday after a 1,5 weeks off and it was good fun! I did 30 minutes with the crosstrainer and the bike and then I did the whole 7 page routine I have, previously I've only done 4 pages at one time and 3 pages the next time. I was at the gym for about two hours and I felt so good and energetic after that. I <3 gym.

Wow, 2 hours is huge! I usually only go for an hour. I went on Sunday afternoon with the good intention of going for well over an hour. Just as the 1 hour mark was approaching I heard an announcement that the gym was closing in 15 minutes. :) I really should learn the closing times better. I would usually go to the gym tonight (Tuesday) but I've given myself the evening off because I'm feeling a little bit overloaded at the moment.

I think it's absolutely fine to treat yourself every now and then and indulge, especially if you've been working as hard as you were at your parents. :D

I think of you every time I go to the gym Frankie. I reckon we would be a really good influence on each other and have loads of fun at the same time. :D I tend to avoid the weights more than I should because I get a little daunted by all the men there. Hardly any women use the weights and I always feel like the guys are checking out the girls. :)

Wow, 2 hours is huge! I usually only go for an hour. I went on Sunday afternoon with the good intention of going for well over an hour. Just as the 1 hour mark was approaching I heard an announcement that the gym was closing in 15 minutes. I really should learn the closing times better. I would usually go to the gym tonight (Tuesday) but I've given myself the evening off because I'm feeling a little bit overloaded at the moment.

Well, we're usually at the gym for 1,5 hours because we do the warm-up, then do our thing with the equipment and then also do 10-15 minutes to "warm-down" (?). The equipment stuff used to take longer before because we were chatting too much, now we're more used to the equipment and have exhausted our common convo we just do our own thing. We don't go there to do this or that much time, but rather do all the exercise we've planned to do.

Do give yourself credit for fully intending to do more than 1 hour, it's not your fault the stupid gym doesn't stay open for longer :) Ours is a good one, it's open from 5 AM to 11 PM.

Why are you feeling overloaded? Too much stuff on your plate? You know how to reach me if you want a chat =) :D

I think it's absolutely fine to treat yourself every now and then and indulge, especially if you've been working as hard as you were at your parents.

Here here! :lol:

I think of you every time I go to the gym Frankie. I reckon we would be a really good influence on each other and have loads of fun at the same time. I tend to avoid the weights more than I should because I get a little daunted by all the men there. Hardly any women use the weights and I always feel like the guys are checking out the girls.

Aww, that's so sweet Kylie! :D I definitely think we'd make a really good team, we'd be pushing each other on and support each other and celebrate together when we've reached our goals and plan new ones. AND have loads of fun at the same time :)

I have to say, I'm glad that the pal of mine got me into signing in at the gym but I'm growing weary of her company. We are very, very different from each other, she's quite the pessimist and likes to find fault at stuff, and while I'm sometimes like that myself I usually try and find the good in things. And there's no support system at all!

Yesterday I was really happy because I went from 40 to 50 kilos on the leg press (especially because there's no adding only 2,5 or 5 kilos but the next level is 10 kilos more) and I told her about it. I said I was really happy to go the next weight with it. She didn't say a word. I continued and said it made me feel really good. Again, she was keeping quiet. Then I pressed on (just for the laugh of it, because I'm getting used to her not being happy on anybody's behalf) and said "especially because I added 10 more kilos!". I guess she realised at this point that she'll have to say something so I'll lose interest in the matter and she said "okay". LOL!

I mean c'mon!! What is the point of going to the gym together with a friend if you don't get to say "that's great, congratulations!" and hear the same thing back! I'm glad I'm old/mature enough to not let her ruin my own happiness about it, but I just find it really curious that there are such people like that. It's not like I'm only bragging to her, I'd be more than happy to hear about her progress as well and cheer her on.

There are so many other stories like that I could share. Everytime after I come home from the gym, I chat with BF on IRC and the first thing I do is I tell him what my gym pal was like that day. If I didn't love going to the gym as much as I do, she would totally ruin it for me.

Kylie, too bad there aren't more women on your gym. I know how you feel around all the guys, thinking they're only checking out the girls. But I think more than that they are curious about what kind of weights the girls do and are just generally interested in what other people are doing in the gym. Sure they're checking people out as well, but don't let that bother you. Just concentrate on the weight and the moves and doing them as best as you can, feeling your muscles working for it :)

That's great news, Kylie! :lol:

I got a bit of a wake up call last night when I was walking up the 3 flights of stairs to my apartment and carrying 4 shopping bags. I've never had a problem with getting winded or tired by stairs before because 3 out of my last 4 apartments have all been on 3rd floor, but yesterday I just could not catch my breath after reaching the top step! The shopping bags were much lighter than usual so I know it wasn't them... I'm just really out of shape, worse than before going on leave. :D All this sitting around and stuff is really affecting me.

I really need to get disciplined and work out at least once a day in the gym, but because of how I look I've always been really self conscious... not just because of the other people in there, but becase of the wall to wall mirrors. I have to watch myself jiggle and it depresses me.

On top of the getting winded I also have gained 4 lbs in the last month :confused: Not good. :D

Sorry to hear about your wake up call Abby :doh::D You've got our support if you need a boost and a little encouraging to go and get to the gym :lol:

I know what you mean about being self-conscious at the gym, I myself was really nervous and scared of going to the gym the first time, this fit instructor going over the equipment with me, and all these buffed up guys and girls being there. But I soon noticed there are all types and shapes of people and not one single one of them was embarrassed so why should I be either, when there's no real reason to be? I think once you go there and do it a couple of times you'll feel more comfortable with it :confused: And try to forget about the mirrors, they're not there to make you see your weight but to help you watch how you're doing the exercise and if you could do something differently and more efficiently. Look for the muscles and concentrate on looking at them :D

Gaining 4 lbs last month might feel bad Abby, but remember that when you get to work, you'll be able to shed those pounds. You've done it before, and you can do it again. I believe in you :lol:

One thing I have to say is that once a day in the gym, everyday is too much. Your body needs at least one day of rest per week to recover from the all the workout you're putting in, and it really does your body good. If you feel like you can't just not do something, go for a walk or play outdoor games. I know you are all-or-nothing -kind of person when you're into something, and I get it, I'd like to go to the gym everyday myself, but I promise your body needs a day off. And you won't grow tired of the gym when you don't go there everyday. =)

Now that I will be out of work I'm hoping to start walking more (it'll save me money too!:D) and I'm going to try and sort my diet out a bit. I'm hoping with more time oon my hands I will make more effort to make healthier dinners.

I am not sure how I have done it, but I appear to have lost almost half a stone in the last few months and 5 percent of my body fat ! Must be all that overtime I have been doing and walking for miles round and round that sports hall.

Very well done, Talisman!

frankie, I'm tired just reading about your exercise, I'm really impressed!

My vitamins/minerals have started arriving - along with the chocolate flavoured whey protein shake mix I had ordered. I had no idea what size of container of mix I had ordered (although I did think it was a bit expensive). It is massive! It will do me for months if I only have one a day! And I had bought two... :D Oh, well, this change in eating habits is meant to be a long term thing! :confused: