Weight Loss and Getting in Shape

AbielleRose

Nienna: It's good to weigh yourself at the same time of the day. I always weigh myself in the morning (not every morning though), after relieving myself, and without clothes. That way you don't have to wonder how much your clothes are possibly adding to the numbers, as well as what you've eaten and drunk before weighing yourself :)

Kimmy: I'm sooooo happy to hear you enjoyed Zumba!! Yay!!! ;) It's so great to find a sports you enjoy doing. It is a really great workout and it makes me sweat like a fountain but that only means that it works. Time just flies by :lol:

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have recently cut out white bread from my diet and after nearly a month i feel a bit better and even a tad slimmer. I didnt find it hard at all and now i could only eat wholemeal or wholegrain bread and not white, which has the nutrients stripped from it and is heavy on preservatives.

Does anyone here recommend any high quality wholemeal or wholegrain breads or even any recipe tips for cooking it yourself? Even though wholemeal bread is better for you, i have no doubt that these also contain colorings and treatment agents so i am eager to buy the freshest produce, any tips outside the supermarket?

The accuracy of scales is around 5%! Always remember this. (Courtesy of my bf :().

SW Update:

UNBELIEVABLE. After a week of dieting I have PUT ON half a pound! I will blame it on the slip-up at the weekend and try harder this week. Hopefully it is also something to do with having had a big meal before I went to the weigh-in and wearing heavier clothes too, but I was, as you can imagine, pretty disappointed. :o Welp, chin up! If next week is the same and I haven't gorged on anything then I'm unsure whether I'll stay, but let's hope that doesn't happen!

scales are very very hit and miss. I have quite an expensive one at home as far as scales go which is designed mainly for gym use. When weighed at the hospital I was 15stone 4, according to my home one I am 14stone 1.

It's not even close :D

Kimmy: I'm sooooo happy to hear you enjoyed Zumba!! Yay!!! :D It's so great to find a sports you enjoy doing. It is a really great workout and it makes me sweat like a fountain but that only means that it works. Time just flies by :o

The lady has just started a Saturday class so I went this morning too :( Definately a good (and sweaty) way to start my day.

It is latin dancing really - you do a bit of everything, samba, salsa, cha cha cha, all sorts!

Thanks for that - sounds interesting night look if there are any classes near me.

The lady has just started a Saturday class so I went this morning too :D Definately a good (and sweaty) way to start my day.

I really enjoy it and it feels like a really good workout. Plus, it is fun! It does make me feel like I have missed my calling and should be a professional dancer...!! :)

I'm so glad you're enjoying it so much! :lol: And I know how you feel about missing your calling :D I've had the same thoughts and I sometimes actually think about going and studying to be a Zumba instructor! Not that I would ever actually do it, but it's so envigorating to think about oneself in a whole new light :(

I have just rediscovered HIIT aka high intensity interval training. I used to do this in the gym 2-3 times a week years ago.

For anyone that wants to do cardiovascular exercise, treadmill, bike, xtrainer etc. but gets bored at the prospect of sitting on a piece of equipment for 45 mins a time try this:

Do a light warm up for 4-5 mins then

30 sec Fast

30 sec Slow

30 sec Fast

30 sec Slow

30 sec Fast

Do that for as long as you can, fast being giving it absolutely everything, like you are running/peddling for your life then slow right down.

Then cool down for 2-5 mins

You should aim to do it for at least 4 mins for a maximum of up to 20 mins, (if you can do it for 20 mins and you've never done it before you're doing it wrong) :lol:

Look it up, HIIT

I'm going to the gym tomorrow, for the first time in well over 10 years! A pal of mine has been looking for someone to go to the gym with, just like I have, and last weekend we realised we both needed a gym partner. So we're signing up for a membership, it's only 45e per month and it includes making up a personal gym schedule with a trainer. No additional sign up fees, the only thing is that you've gotta stay another 6 weeks when you've cancelled your membership, but that's only good because it'll keep me at it :lol: So it looks like I'm going to be a gym member for at least 2,5 months. I'm really nervous. Really, utterly, absolutely nervous.

I'm going to the gym tomorrow, for the first time in well over 10 years! A pal of mine has been looking for someone to go to the gym with, just like I have, and last weekend we realised we both needed a gym partner. So we're signing up for a membership, it's only 45e per month and it includes making up a personal gym schedule with a trainer. No additional sign up fees, the only thing is that you've gotta stay another 6 weeks when you've cancelled your membership, but that's only good because it'll keep me at it :lol: So it looks like I'm going to be a gym member for at least 2,5 months. I'm really nervous. Really, utterly, absolutely nervous.

I used to go to a gym with professional footballers and the occasional boxer. I'm fat and disabled if I can do it anyone can :lol: You'll love it.

I used to go to a gym with professional footballers and the occasional boxer. I'm fat and disabled if I can do it anyone can :lol: You'll love it.

:friends0: Thanks for the kind words, I think :lol: It can't be worse than cross country skiing, so I'll take it :)

No need to be nervous Frankie! If you can do Zumba classes with no probs then the gym will be a piece of cake. Have fun!

I'm heading off to the gym myself shortly. My PT wants me to lose 1-2 kilos in one week. :lol:

Edited by Kylie

Well I was at the doc's this morning for something else entirely, and she commented that I'd lost weight (70.9kgs on a full stomach, fully clothed and with shoes on!) so w00t w00t :lol: She also stated that my heart rate was fine, unlike the last time the practice tried to refer me to the gym across the road for some free personal training, so she urged me to try again *fingers crossed*!

Congrats Guilia! That's great news. I hope the gym thing works out for you. I've got my fingers crossed, and a couple of my toes (I can't physically cross all of them, but I would if I could!)

An almighty four pounds lost last week from Slimming World! I was quite pleased to see it considering I'd gone UP half a pound the week before. How it happened I do not know. But nonetheless I am pleased!

Great job Nienna! :)

Last Tuesday I was going to the gym with a friend and I thought we'd start working out immediately but we just got signed in and were scheduled to meet the trainer to see how all the equipment worked later on during the week. I was kind of relieved that I didn't have to do anything, but kind of disappointed also, and really anxious when I heard I'd be meeting up with a trainer all alone at Thursday for a session. My friend had her meeting on Wednesday and she told me they'd gone through the equipment and that she'd had to do 15 reps with each equipment. I was sooo stressed out after hearing that. It's been well over 10 years since my last time at the gym and that was in high school when I hated the gym and just about every other sports there was. And I'm physically out of shape, strength wise and I was so nervous because the trainer was most likely a guy. I had a very anxious Wednesday and Thursday ;) (mostly I hated that people were going to be there, watching me go and sweat and not know what I was doing).

When I went to the gym on Thursday, I was 15 minutes early and I thought I'd do the warm-up part already on my own so that we didn't have to waste time on that one. I went for the bikes and had no idea how to start using them, what with all the hi-tech buttons and all. There was this guy next to me, riding a bike and I politely asked him if he could tell me what to do. He was really nice and helpful and I think he wouldn't have minded chatting a little longer.

Then the trainer came up and I was really nervous, but when we got to the equipment I had so many questions about everything and was so concentrated on how to do all the things and how to do it right that I didn't have any time to be anxious anymore :) The trainer was really nice and funny and he was even about the same height as me so it was easy to get all the adjustments done. He even complimented me on a couple of things which I did great for a beginner. And when I felt bad about having only the lowest amount of weights and not being able to do the full 15 reps he told me not to worry and that I was stronger than my friend at least who couldn't do as much as I did. Now, I'm not proud of that and I kind of resent the faculty sharing this kind of information but I guess he figured we were close enough friends to know how we'd done so I guess it was okayish. I'm not gloating on being better than my friend, I'm just saying I was happy that we both lacked the most extreme of strengths :lol:

The people at the gym seemed really nice, I talked to a girl in the lockerroom about something and she was real nice as well, I felt so good about the people and the atmosphere there on the gym. And the equipment were very easy to use and I actually even liked the work out! When I walked home, I passed this sports bar and I thought to myself, can you believe yourself Sari, instead of being there in the sports bar, getting wasted, you've been actually to a GYM!! I felt like I was re-defining what and who I am and what I'm capable of. It felt so darn good!! :D

We're going back tomorrow and have already figured out our schedule for next week. I'm so excited about going to the gym, I had no idea I would actually like it and be giddy about getting to do it again :D

I'm due to be weighed and measured next time I go to the gym so I will see how much weight and inches I have lost in the last month. I've been really good and avoided the scales, so hopefully it will be a nice surprise.

I'm glad that you enjoying it Frankie.

I hope the weigh-in goes well Madcow, I'm sure that it will.

I did my usual 64 lengths last night and I am off to my Saturday morning Zumba class at 10 followed by some housework. No rest for the wicked!

Madcow, I'm sure you'll do fine because you've worked for it :)

Kimmy, so great to hear you're off to Zumba this morning! ;)

I'm off to the gym in an hour or so. Last winter I'd be spending Saturday morning recovering from the previous night, but now I'm off to a real gym! I can't believe it myself.

Well I didn't get weighed this morning, apparently it is best that the person who first measured you does it as different people take measurements differently so you may get false readings et, ah well just have to wait till Tuesday when my lady is next in :)

Going to start my jogging again this eve and aiming for 12 miles weekly to start with hoping to move up to 15 (encouraged by my crazy doc ;)) by the time i move to my new house! :)