Weight Loss and Getting in Shape

AbielleRose

Since we got Gary, our Golden Retriever nearly 3 weeks ago now, I have been out walking every day, sometimes twice a day and I can definitely notice my shape changing.

I have not really changed my diet but I must admit that I do eat less this time of the year especially on hot days like today!

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 50 of it has been since November. I combine it with exercise (mostly walking) and still allow myself some treats and naughty stuff from time to time, but if you're dedicated it really does work. Granted, some of the weight came during a bought of sickness (about 12 lbs total), but for the most part managing things with a tool like that really does help.

You are now my role model :lol: if I could lose anything near 50lbs in 6 months I would be ecstactic!

CaliLily, 69lbs is amazing, congratulations! :lol:

I just haven't been able to motivate myself to lose any more weight at all this year, but at least I haven't put any on! Like kimmy619 I am usually less hungry in hot weather so maybe if we actually get more than one day in a row which is hot here then that will help.

About 50 of it has been since November. I combine it with exercise (mostly walking) and still allow myself some treats and naughty stuff from time to time, but if you're dedicated it really does work. Granted, some of the weight came during a bought of sickness (about 12 lbs total), but for the most part managing things with a tool like that really does help.

Awesome, awesome effort! That is a lot of weight to shift.

Thanks Kylie and Dan. Its just about finding what works for you and being patient. Trust me, if I can do it than anyone can. :lol: That's why I have full faith that everyone who visits this thread and is trying to lose weight will succeed if they just find their niche.

Make a diet like you had cholesterol, you start eating variously and it's always good. xD

I have cholesterol so I don't do it for pleasure, and moreover I've lost a lot of kilos that I didn't have to lose! To explain my problem: I have cholesterol from my family, it's hereditary, BUT I am too weak and thin, and I have to get weight. Try to get weight without greasy food! :lol: I spend my life on the edge, but at least my cholesterol isn't as high as before.

I fell down the stairs with my bike today. The bike was more or less in my lap and my butt is sore but nothing is broken. The bike shop says it'll cost too much to replace my brake cables and brakes. Fiddly work they say. The bike had been outside for a while in rain as well. The brakes and cables are rusty and stiff. I can ride it but its risky and there's hills where I live. I'm going to have to learn how to thread the cable wire in the right places or pay

I've been quite disheartened reading online that you should lose 1LB a week, by that it would take me over a year! Cant wait to get my slimfast now, obviously it will still take a good few months but having a plan like slimfast is a great idea for me

I think it depends how overweight you are. Certainly on TV diet shows they lose more than that. On Fat Families on Sky they get them to lose 3lbs a week. I'd get some proper medical advice as everybody's situation and requirements will be different.

I fell down the stairs with my bike today. The bike was more or less in my lap and my butt is sore but nothing is broken. The bike shop says it'll cost too much to replace my brake cables and brakes. Fiddly work they say. The bike had been outside for a while in rain as well. The brakes and cables are rusty and stiff. I can ride it but its risky and there's hills where I live. I'm going to have to learn how to thread the cable wire in the right places or pay

I had a terrible couple of days last week when I just tried to eat healthy and in moderation and then by evening I was so frantic to buy chips that I couldn't help it. I'm on the wagon again and have been for a couple of days and it's been good. I have a problem though with the exercise, I would love to go jogging but for the last 4 times I've tried it there's been this rather awkward problem with it and I'm getting frustrated. I don't mind doing Zumba instead but I'd like to do other things as well, I can't go on doing the same Zumba video every day, I'll get sick of it at some point I know it.

I think it depends how overweight you are. Certainly on TV diet shows they lose more than that. On Fat Families on Sky they get them to lose 3lbs a week. I'd get some proper medical advice as everybody's situation and requirements will be different.

I've given up on medical advice, i've seen a Dietitian and my GP I dont know how many times i've lost a lot of faith in Drs lately. Started the slimfast diet this morning, cold coffee flavoured milkshake, lovely :lol:

Had my first shake about 2 1/2 hours ago and i'm not hungry or thinking of food, I think training your mind to think of food as just a source of energy that your body needs and not as an emotional crutch is half of the battle. When you find yourself routing through the cupboard ask yourself, am I really hungry? More often than not you wont be. Instead have a glass of water or squash that will fill you up and you wont even want to eat.

3lbs a week is what I am hoping for, that would mean almost a stone a month which would be fantastic

Had my first shake about 2 1/2 hours ago and i'm not hungry or thinking of food, I think training your mind to think of food as just a source of energy that your body needs and not as an emotional crutch is half of the battle. When you find yourself routing through the cupboard ask yourself, am I really hungry? More often than not you wont be. Instead have a glass of water or squash that will fill you up and you wont even want to eat.

That's it, right there, for me. That's the most difficult part. I eat when I'm bored, when I should do uni stuff ("I can't really concentrate if I haven't the energy, maybe I should eat first"), I eat when I'm down and I eat when I'm up. And if I've done something great and accomplished something, I always think of food when I want to reward myself. Learning that about myself has been the most difficult thing.

I hope Slimfast works for you JCW :lol:

That's it, right there, for me. That's the most difficult part. I eat when I'm bored, when I should do uni stuff ("I can't really concentrate if I haven't the energy, maybe I should eat first"), I eat when I'm down and I eat when I'm up. And if I've done something great and accomplished something, I always think of food when I want to reward myself. Learning that about myself has been the most difficult thing.

Me too! I think it stems from when you're a kid and I was allowed nice things for being good. So I go for a jog, eat well for a few days and then think 'I've been a good girl I'm allowed an all you can eat Chinese - really I am'

Well done Frankie :lol::)!

Difficult to know without owning a set of scales ;) however, comfort eating of my own or not, I must weigh somewhat less than I did when I started on the SF shakes, considering I now fit into the dreaded pair of jeans that I hadn't been able to wear since purchase and even into my polka dot skirt (one of those motivational 'I want to fit into this again' garments).

That's great news Frankie and Giulia. :)

Cookie, I know what you mean. I've realised recently that my bad eating habits have been so ingrained in me since childhood that it's going to be really difficult to be able to turn my eating habits around for good.

I've been making small changes to my diet lately and I just back from the gym, where I managed to do quite a good long workout on my own, but I wouldn't say that I'm noticing any differences yet.

Does anyone know of a good website where you can find out the healthy amounts of everything you should be having each day (not how many servings of fruit and veg, but how much protein, fat, sugar, salt etc).

Thanks guys ;)

Me too! I think it stems from when you're a kid and I was allowed nice things for being good. So I go for a jog, eat well for a few days and then think 'I've been a good girl I'm allowed an all you can eat Chinese - really I am'

Cookie, I know what you mean. I've realised recently that my bad eating habits have been so ingrained in me since childhood that it's going to be really difficult to be able to turn my eating habits around for good.

These things can definitely stem from one's childhood, I agree with you 100%. I've thought about this a lot and I think a lot of my eating habits come from my Mom. I know she doesn't mean to do anything bad but she's really set a bad example on some things. For example, when I was younger, my Dad used to go hunting during the weekends and it used to be just me and my Mom at home (big bro had already moved to live on his own). Every single weekend we were together, just the two of us, she'd ask me if we should buy something good to eat. And me, of course I wanted chips or pizza or whatever, how should I know any better? I also liked it because Dad's diet is much healthier than Mom's and mine so it was so much fun that we had these junk food evening together with my Mom. She'd go and buy us what we wanted, and then we'd eat and she'd watch TV and I'd accompany her or read books on my own.

I didn't think anything of it when I was growing up but now that I'm older I've thought about it a lot and I've been a bit bitter about it. Why didn't we do anything together, play games or something like that, but instead just ate in silence? I know she didn't mean anything bad by it, and I know feeding me is a kind of a sign of affection from her, but it doesn't make me feel any better. Nowadays, if I'm home alone, BF's away and I don't have anything planned with friends, it's just a routine for me to buy a bag of chips and dip. It's ALWAYS been like that for me. Resisting it is so hard. It's like the bag of chips is a friend and that way I'm not alone. I hate it, I hate it, I HATE it! It might sound really ridiculous to someone else who doesn't have problems with food, but to me the biggest victory is always if I manage a Friday evening alone without chips.

Difficult to know without owning a set of scales :) however, comfort eating of my own or not, I must weigh somewhat less than I did when I started on the SF shakes, considering I now fit into the dreaded pair of jeans that I hadn't been able to wear since purchase and even into my polka dot skirt (one of those motivational 'I want to fit into this again' garments).

Clothes is a better measure than the scales in my opinion, you don't really need scales to know that you've lost weight and toned up. I'm so happy for you, it must feel so incredible to fit those jeans! :lol: Clothes are definitely and excellent motivator, yes sirree!

Kylie, good job on doing the gym workout ;)

Clothes is a better measure than the scales in my opinion, you don't really need scales to know that you've lost weight and toned up. I'm so happy for you, it must feel so incredible to fit those jeans! :lol: Clothes are definitely and excellent motivator, yes sirree!

The accuracy of scales is around 5%! Always remember this. (Courtesy of my bf :)).

SW Update:

UNBELIEVABLE. After a week of dieting I have PUT ON half a pound! I will blame it on the slip-up at the weekend and try harder this week. Hopefully it is also something to do with having had a big meal before I went to the weigh-in and wearing heavier clothes too, but I was, as you can imagine, pretty disappointed. ;) Welp, chin up! If next week is the same and I haven't gorged on anything then I'm unsure whether I'll stay, but let's hope that doesn't happen!

Edited by Nienna

Well, I went to my first Zumba class last night and really loved it. So much so that I am going to do another session on Saturday morning :) It was a really good workout and you feel like you are actually working all of your muscles (even ones I didn't know that I had!!!). I found it more productive than the gym as I don't push myself enough when I am on my own. I was also suprised by the range of people there. There were lots of different age groups and fitness levels. I was chatting to one larger lady who used to struggle with movement due to her weight and she has progressed quite a lot in a few months. The people were really friendly too which helps.

I'm aching a bit today...!