Weight Loss and Getting in Shape

AbielleRose

madcow, sorry you have to wait longer but at least you'll get it properly done tomorrow ;)

Rawr, good luck with your aim! :)

I went to the gym on Saturday and spent 2 hours there. First five minutes on the crosstrainer. It was my first time on it and it felt so weird :blush: And then I noticed that I was going backwards! But going forwards wasn't much better than that. It was good and I started to feel it in my thighs but I can't say I'm used to the machine, I'll be having many funny sessions with it before I'm all settled in. Then I did about 5 minutes on the threadmill, just walking though. Then me and my friend did half of the stuff we're instructed to, because doing all of them takes like 1,5 h from each. We took turns and were chatting quite a bit so the 2 hours went by really fast. We're going again today and I'm hoping we'll be able to make the route speedier today.

Those of you who go to the gym: what kind of routines do you have, which equipment do you like the best? I like the equipment that are focused on my arms and such because my upper body is totally out of shape and strength. My most favorite is the abdominal crunch <3 Leg press and pulley are fun too. I hate the glute thingie, it feels so stupid doing it :lol: And arm curl is the one with which I have the most problems with, I started with the lowest amount of weight and I still can't do the whole 15 reps in a row.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today marks a month since i have given up eating white bread and i feel all the better for it. I used to eat tonnes of in as sandwiches, toast, rolls etc but since switching to wholemeal/wholegrain products, i feel a bit better and dont miss that white bread taste at all.

I would like to ask though can anyone here recommend a quality wholemeal or wholegrain loaf or even a good recipe to make it because i dont fully trust the supermarket loaves as they are bound to have plenty of preservatives and colorings in them, as well as being processed.

Any bread experts here to point me in the right direction?

If I make my own bread / rolls then I always use Wrights. I found them easy to use for making by hand, and tasty. You should be able to find all additive on their website. I don't often have white bread now, and make sure it is really top quality and fresh when I do. I think coming away from the over processed can help make a big difference to how I feel. You realise that the cr*ppy white stuff is pure mush!

Rawr, good luck with your aim! :lol:

Thanks Frankie :blush:

I'm debating whether to go do my five mile jog before an interview later but having just showered after some stretching I think i'll go after i've done that and picked up a little food from the supermarket ;)

If I make my own bread / rolls then I always use Wrights. I found them easy to use for making by hand, and tasty. You should be able to find all additive on their website. I don't often have white bread now, and make sure it is really top quality and fresh when I do. I think coming away from the over processed can help make a big difference to how I feel. You realise that the cr*ppy white stuff is pure mush!

Thanks very much for your help, i will research further!

I have to say I haven't lost any weight in the last month, partly due to not exercising as much and partly because I've been eating too much. This doesn't bother me too much because now I'm going to the gym three days a week and I'm also looking after my eating a lot more. Yesterday I went to the grocerystore right after I finished my gym routine. Usually I'd pick up chips and that kind of stuff when I'm hungry and in a store, but I bought cabbage, chicken, milk and that kind of stuff.

And eventhough I haven't lost any weight lately, I feel very different about my body. I still carry at least 20 kilos excess weight but I feel so much better about my body now that I go to the gym. I feel like I'm taking control of it and making more of it and more with it than I've ever done before. I feel so empowered, it's so hard to explain. I feel a sort of an accomplishment everytime I'm at the gym and particularly afterwards. And I feel like I've found somewhere I belong.

That's really good Frankie that you feel better in/about yourself. That's more important than how you look IMO. Eventually of course if you keep it up in the long term you do start to look as good as you feel and your body shape will be the optimum.

I only just noticed this topic, I will have to read back see what golden advice nuggets I can find...

That's such great news Frankie. I'm so proud of you :blush:

I haven't weighted myself in a couple of weeks. I'm a bit scared to in case I haven't lost any. I did my boxing class yesterday but I haven't been to the gym since Thursday. ;) And I have other obligations which means I won't be able to go again until this Thursday. Oh well. I can get back on track.

My eating has improved a huge amount too. I find that going to the gym stops me from buying junk food because I can't stand the thought of having to work all that junk off as well as all the other weight I'm trying to lose! :lol:

Thanks vodkafan ;) Feeling good about oneself is of course more important than how one looks, but I have to confess my body image is and always has been very tightly connected to my self esteem, and that's wrong. But like I said, I feel so different about that nowadays :)

That's such great news Frankie. I'm so proud of you

I haven't weighted myself in a couple of weeks. I'm a bit scared to in case I haven't lost any. I did my boxing class yesterday but I haven't been to the gym since Thursday.And I have other obligations which means I won't be able to go again until this Thursday. Oh well. I can get back on track.

My eating has improved a huge amount too. I find that going to the gym stops me from buying junk food because I can't stand the thought of having to work all that junk off as well as all the other weight I'm trying to lose! :lol:

Thanks Kylie :D Don't feel bad about not always having the time for gym, because sometimes life and obligations just get in the way and there's no helping that :blush: Besides, it's sounds like your eating habits are in check and that already helps so much. I agree, going to the gym makes you think really hard about what you put in your mouth :D

When I was in the habit of going to the gym 2-3 times a week, I would spend about 90 mins in there then come out and would be absolutely starving. I would then eat a big meal like steak and chips followed by a big (usually) chocolate covered desert.

So i'm not sure if going to the gym makes you think twice about what you eat :blush:

I went to the gym today after work and it was weigh in time! I'm a bit disappointed that I've only lost 2.4kg and 2 inches off my tummy and 1 inch from my waist, I was really hoping for more :D but at least it is in the right direction and I'll just have to up the anti now to make it work more.

Probably jogged about three miles since Monday not brilliant but alright and been having enough water flushing to be on track for weekly level i'm comfortable at. My sis leant me some money and I have enough bananas for after my jogs now :D So hoping to hit thirteen by Saturday, Thurs having an interview and it's four miles away so that'll probably wipe out that day. Otherwise things going well and i'm quite happy with this year for what I've been able to keep with thus far.

Keep going everyone :)

Sounds like everyone is doing well lately :D

I've been eating terribly the last week so starting this weekend I'm going on a liquid diet to flush out the junk from my system so I can start focusing on feeling better instead of just losing weight. I plan on just doing water, protein shake and vegetable juice for the next week and then starting a meat/veggies/fruits only diet. Nothing processed and no bread. Hopefully I can stick to it!

I went to the gym today after work and it was weigh in time! I'm a bit disappointed that I've only lost 2.4kg and 2 inches off my tummy and 1 inch from my waist, I was really hoping for more :)

Geez, I wish I could lose that much! I think that's a terrific result Madcow. :D

JCW, I know what you mean about being hungry after the gym. I used to want to eat hot junk food after my gym sessions. :D I've been much better this time around. And there's a Subway right across from my gym so if I'm hungry at least I can eat relatively healthily.

I'm well and truly annoyed with myself as I've gained back the 20-ish pounds that I worked so hard to lose about a year and a half ago. I'd dropped from a size 18 jeans to size 12, now I'm back up to 16. :D :D

Part of what helped me lose it to begin with was the fact I had to climb 17 steps many times a day, and I no longer have to, so I'd better get cracking and start again, whether or not I have to!

Of course the ice-cream at midnight doesn't help a bit. :)

That's a little like what happened to me, Pontalba. I'm so glad I kept all my bigger pants because I certainly have needed them again :). However I've kept all my smaller pants too and I can't wait until I try them on again and find that they fit comfortably again. :D

Good luck with your weight loss. At least you know that you can do it, and with that attitude I'm sure you'll be back to a size 12 in no time. :D

I had a bad shoulder last year because of work related injury, I had a year on light duties and 12 weeks of physiotherapy so I have only just started excercising again. Been swimming twice a week (since last week). Going again today. I need to put some muscle back on everywhere but especially my shoulders and legs. Because I don't put weight on, I tend to eat a lot of junk food especially at work to get through my night shift. I have managed to cut my junk intake by about 50%. It has been easier because I have been worried about Laundry Fairy and trying to make sure she eats properly. If I don't she does not eat and lives on coffee and cigarettes.

The physical activity of swimming is a welcome release because my mind is a blank slate when I swim. Ironic that minding Laundry Fairy's nutrition is making me take more care of me .

I went to a Nia class followed by Zumba last night and I am feeling it this morning. Although you don't really move a lot during Nia, it certainly makes you sweat so it must be doing some good.....! I almost died about 20 minutes in to Zumba as I was so tired :D

Geez, I wish I could lose that much! I think that's a terrific result Madcow.

Thank you Kylie :) Tonight I tried using a hula hoop but failed miserably :D I just can't get the knack of starting, some of the other women make it look so easy, I worked up a sweat before I even start my usual workout!

Thank you Kylie :lol: Tonight I tried using a hula hoop but failed miserably :) I just can't get the knack of starting, some of the other women make it look so easy, I worked up a sweat before I even start my usual workout!

I hate it when other people do it well and make it seem so easy, I've never gotten the hang of it :D

Edit: Beyonce goes hola hooping in her music vid Work It Out and she doesn't just do it in the normal way, she includes that one particular dance move, I don't remember what it's called. She's got skills, I envy her :D

Edited by frankie

That's a little like what happened to me, Pontalba. I'm so glad I kept all my bigger pants because I certainly have needed them again :lol:. However I've kept all my smaller pants too and I can't wait until I try them on again and find that they fit comfortably again. :)

Good luck with your weight loss. At least you know that you can do it, and with that attitude I'm sure you'll be back to a size 12 in no time. :D

Thanks Kylie..

Yep, I am wearing the old bigger ones around the house, they are still a little big for me. heh

One "good" thing is that my OH has also gained about the same amount of weight and he wants to get it off too. Although he does have a slightly easier time dropping the weight. He can still eat a few cookies a day! So Not Fair! LOL

:D Zumba is like aerobic latin dancing and Nia is Non Impact Aerobics - it is like yoga mixed with martial arts...kind of.....

I googled and found their site, looks interesting. Nothing anywhere near me though. Foo. Although truthfully, I don't know if my back would take it. :)