Your Book Activity Today - Thread 9

Janet

Finished Kerouac's Lonesome traveler and liked it. :-) I also started reading a book for the entrance exam that awaits ahead. I think I'm going to get started with something else tonight, too. I have a pile of books awaiting.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I pass this at the shops I think of picking it up, Poppy! I'm glad to hear you're liking it so far - you'll have to let us know what you think after you read more. It looks really good! :lol:

Yes I will for sure ... so far I love it and I'm about 150 pages in now :D

Laundry Fairy and I are both ill today and are both off work. So I have finished the Opal Mehta book. I have no energy for anything except reading so I will likely start something else. A Scanner Darkly came through the post the other day but like most of my TBR pile it is at work in my locker.

I'm just about to finish Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. First Potter book i read and it was the last one. I'm a reading rebel :lol:

Really?? That's a strange decision, I would definitely read the earlier ones, they are much better imo!

I started on Prisoner of Azkaban years back and loved that one, i'm even reading it again for the however many 'th' time :D

Really?? That's a strange decision, I would definitely read the earlier ones, they are much better imo!

I asked the woman in the bookshop which was the best one and she suggested it so i bought it. No decision making on my part :lol:

The first is definitely the best for a new reader, what a silly person *plots to steal her job*

I don't really see the point in reading a random book in a series anyway, all you're doing is potentially spoiling the entire thing for yourself.

32 pages left in No Way To Say Goodbye, and I'm just over halfway through Wuthering Heights. Wahoo!

I'll just go with the theme and fly my broom of course.

Yeah, I think should definitely start from the beginning if you want to get the right feel for the story, especially with Harry Potter, as soon as i finished Azkaban, which at the time was the only one my school library had in, I bought the first two and then when Goblet came out, that one and I was really thankful I did.

i think my sister will totally agree with the read the whole series point when one of the Harry Potter films came out I wanted to read the book that was coming out at the same time (which I think was the order of the pheonix) but she refused to let me read hers until I read the other ones first. I was so mad at her at first but after I finished them (in about a week) I was grateful cause I enjoyed reading them much more than the films.

Harry Potter is definitely a series where reading out of order cannot really compensate at all for the whole. You can get away with it by reading Chamber or Azkaban first, but not when things begin to turn into a more obscure area through and after Goblet.

oh no to my sister it was just unspeakable to even consider it! lol. and at the time I couldnt afford the book myself and my mum refused to buy me it when my sister already had it. its funny to think about now but at the time i was furious with her.

So glad to hear you enjoyed it so much! :no: I have to tell you though, that the third Dexter novel was quite disappointing in my opinion at least (some others have felt the same way) but that the fourth books is supposed to be another great Dexter read :censored:

thanks for letting me know! theres always a book in a series that doesn't quite live up to the others..sucks.

Finished Kerouac's Lonesome traveler and liked it. :-) I also started reading a book for the entrance exam that awaits ahead.

Glad you enjoyed the Kerouac. That bodes well for when I eventually buy it. Good luck with your entrance exam!

I've read half a dozen pages of Sylvia Plath's Journals today and I couldn't help but read a few pages of my new punctuation guide last night, so I once again have three books on the go. :censored: And they're all non-fiction, which is very unusual for me.

Wahoo! What bit are you up to, Frankie?

I opened Vlad: The Last Confession last night (confirming it's full title which IS written inside though it's not on the cover), was intimidated by the three pages of Romanian-esque dramatis personae whose names I could barely pronounce let alone remember (I'm rubbish at names) and closed the book again. I'll start it today :censored:

Wahoo! What bit are you up to, Frankie?

Heathcliff's come back after 3 years and he embraced the innocent naive Miss Linton in the garden, and Catherine, Edgar and Heathcliff had a huge fight. Now Catherine is staying in her bedroom, fancying herself dying. What a drama queen :censored:

I finished Romanov Bride last night. Such a good book; when I get some time soon, l'll put up some blurb about it.

Tonight, I'm now going to start Twelve by Jasper Kent. Vampirical goings on in the Napoleonic Wars.

I've just seen my post number - 666 - ooerr I'd better move on soon!