Favourite Words

poppy

I was also going to add in widdershins, but it's one of those words which you have to say a few times - widdershinswiddershinswiddershinswiddershins... it's got an internal rhythm to it that gets compulsive. Then people passing by look at me funny when I'm doing the chant. So... Yeah. :readingtwo:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to add, I love the word Poppy!

It is a word that is pleasing to say, read and hear. It can be said in a comical manner, but has the additional gravity of being a word that leads onward to drug wars, ganglords and addictions, also to the deeper reference to European wars.

lol Chrissy, glad you like my name :friends0: I also love poppet.

Cherish is a lovely word, makes me smile.

I love that word too, Echo. There was a horse in the Melbourne Cup named Ethereal several years ago, and because I love the word so much I put some money on it and chanced getting it in a couple of different sweeps. It won...the only time my horse has ever come in first. :friends0:

It's acceptable to use 'myriad of'.

Usage Note: Throughout most of its history in English myriad was used as a noun, as in a myriad of men. In the 19th century it began to be used in poetry as an adjective, as in myriad men. Both usages in English are acceptable, as in Samuel Taylor Coleridge's "Myriad myriads of lives." This poetic, adjectival use became so well entrenched generally that many people came to consider it as the only correct use. In fact, both uses in English are parallel with those of the original ancient Greek. The Greek word mūrias, from which myriad derives, could be used as either a noun or an adjective, but the noun mūrias was used in general prose and in mathematics while the adjective mūrias was used only in poetry.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/myriad+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myriad

;)

Edited by Janet

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

(I wasn't entirely sure where this should go so sorry if I put it in the wrong place!)

I had a language lecturer who told us her favourite word was 'serendipity' because it was nice to say. I still haven't worked out what my favourite word is though!

Do any of you have a favourite word?