More football

Lilywhite

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I see we lost out on the 2018 World Cup bid then. Eliminated after the first round by all accounts. It's gone to Russia. I won't mention oligarchs, billionare footie club owners or anything. :wink:

In all fairness we did actually have the best bid; our presentation was fantastic and the effort we have put into trying to bring the World Cup to England for 2018 was inexhaustible. I cannot for one minute understand how Russia have attained the honour; the premiership is one of the best - if not the best - league around, with some of the world's best players. Russia have yet to start building stadiums yet, whereas we have some of the most passionate and atmospheric stadiums there can be. I think that when all's said and done, this bid has come down to who has successfully managed to bribe the FIFA executives to earn their votes. Obviously we haven't managed this very well; all I can say is it's a disappointing day for those such as Beckham who have worked hard for this, and for English football in general.

Edited by Ben

^ We may have had the best technical bid, and we certainly had a strong finish (with Beckham, Wills and Cameron etc) but we didn't get into the game early enough - and to be fair to Russia, they have never hosted a World Cup, they have a ton of cash to spend on this and eight years to prepare (two years more than we had to get ready for the Olympics...).

Also, and this isn't a comment aimed at you Ben, but would any of the questions currently being asked in the media be being asked if we had won the bid?

No, of course not.

We just have to suck it up and focus on what is actually important - having a team that is capable of winning the damn cup in the first place!

I agree with everything your saying Raven my friend, we definitely didn't get into the game early enough, and I guess I'm just being a little harsh on Russia because I'm frustrated we weren't successful in our bid - I'm sure their efforts in hosting the World Cup will be fantastic for sure. As for the questions being asked of the media, I'm sure you right on that front as well. I think everyone seems to be more annoyed due to the fact we haven't had the best year in English football - especially with our efforts in the World Cup this year; this has just topped that off. We do need to re-group and shift our focus back to getting our team good enough to win us some trophies. I guess we'll just have to see if we can do that.

All quiet with footie here at the mo due to the snow etc. Also Andy been out with a hamstring injury and been at the physio. OK now though just waiting patiently to get back to light training, but that could be 2011 at this rate!:lol:

All quiet with footie here at the mo due to the snow etc. Also Andy been out with a hamstring injury and been at the physio. OK now though just waiting patiently to get back to light training, but that could be 2011 at this rate!:lol:

Hey Inver good to hear he's getting back to fitness quickly, and hopefully he'll be back on the picture and scoring goals in no time.

Edited by Ben

The English football authorities seem to be hell bent on ensuring that England never get to host a World Cup. Their complaints may or may not be valid, but the way they've gone about it would certainly look like sour grapes around the world. If they push it too far, it won't do them any favours for any future bid.

Hi Roland! Haven't been able to get on here as much as I like, but my health is slowly improving, so you may be seeing more of me!

As for 2026, I think a 90,000 capacity stadium for St Austell would be awesome. The current ground is a bit squashed in though, so we might have to demolish a few dozen houses and the local secondary school, but I don't see a problem! :D

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^ A better team to support?

:wink:

Oh pleeeeeeeese, not another ManU supporter :blush: Yep I know we are trophyless since Pontius was a Pilate but I luv'em and have been a goon since I was a young lass. :D