More football

Lilywhite

I can understand why Scots wouldn't support England (the General Election results are a bit of a clue :lol:), but I must confess I never understand the "self-hating Englishman" approach. If you're English - regardless of whether you're from Cornwall, London, Yorkshire or anywhere else - why wouldn't you support your own country in a major sporting event?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every scotsman I have ever met has despised England, literally hated them, which I dont really understand.

I'm Welsh and dont really have anything againt them, I dont follow their every move but the World Cup would hold very little interest for me if there wasnt a British represenation of some sort, be it England, Scotland, Ireland or Wales. This whole support anyone that is playing England thing is baffling to me.

I've always been the same JCW. Any representation of the UK will get my support, unless it's Man United - ABU!

Am looking forward to the World Cup now and I hope I get to watch loads of the matches.

:lol: I agree, I too am looking forward to the world cup. I even enjoy the European cup and we weren't even in it :D

It's all just friendly banter......:D......:lol:....yeh right .....:lol: Wonders how many times they mention '66 (then remembers who beat them in '67) :D

Sedge ~ We are going to finish 9th overall in our league, hopefully safely out of any relegation zone.

Edited by Inver

It's all just friendly banter......:D......:lol:....yeh right .....:lol: Wonders how many times they mention '66 (then remembers who beat them in '67) :D

Ah, you see the difference, Diane, was that '67 didn't matter - to us, at any rate (friendly banter, there ;))

Actually, that was a great team - Slim Jim Baxter, Jimmy Johnstone, Denis Law, John Greig ... but it still didn't matter ....

I can understand why Scots wouldn't support England (the General Election results are a bit of a clue :lol:), but I must confess I never understand the "self-hating Englishman" approach. If you're English - regardless of whether you're from Cornwall, London, Yorkshire or anywhere else - why wouldn't you support your own country in a major sporting event?

Nothing against the English Roland - I just see Cornwall as a separate nation. I long for the day when FIFA recognise this, and the mighty St Austell can take their place in the Champions League Final against Glendale!:lol:

Nothing against the English Roland - I just see Cornwall as a separate nation. I long for the day when FIFA recognise this, and the mighty St Austell can take their place in the Champions League Final against Glendale!:lol:

:lol: Good one Sedge...:D

Well, clearly one or other of us didn't pay attention in Geography at school, and I don't think it was me :lol:

Well, clearly one or other of us didn't pay attention in Geography at school, and I don't think it was me :)

You're good! Geography was one of the subjects I had to drop at school! I know my way to Poltair Park, the greatest football ground in creation, but beyond that, I'm lost!

We did honeymoon in London though, but couldn't find any grounds. We were in Kensington. What's the nearest stadium - is it Stamford Bridge?

We gave up looking when we found that Regent Street is about the same size as the whole of St Austell!

You're good! Geography was one of the subjects I had to drop at school! I know my way to Poltair Park, the greatest football ground in creation, but beyond that, I'm lost!

We did honeymoon in London though, but couldn't find any grounds. We were in Kensington. What's the nearest stadium - is it Stamford Bridge?

We gave up looking when we found that Regent Street is about the same size as the whole of St Austell!

Kensington?? Probably some polo club, I should think ....

• 1 month later...

And so it starts Sedge.....Andy at the first night pre season training last night! Hardly seems anytime since they stopped. He actually went along to another team too last week. One of his lecturers at college plays for a local team similar standard to Glendale. But he has decided tomorrow to go along for another training sessin with them and say he wants to stay with his old club.

The soap opera starts early! St Austell are after Cornwall's top club manager (who is a free-agent at the moment), but our current manager is still in place. His future hinges on whether our target says yes or no - how's that for job security!:)

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure...will ask my Andy he will probably know being a Man U fan. Actually he is going to Perth this weekend as St Johnstone are playing a friendly with the Man U reserves I think it is and I know Fergie won't be there as they are obviously in the US at the moment. St Johnstone are also playing agains Bolton (who their ex manager Owen Coyle is now manager of) on Monday night. I think it is a testimonial match for their ex keeper Alan Main. He is away with some friends so they can go to both games.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#

The game is on tonight either Sky or ESPN he thinks.....1.30 am...and looks like he is gonna get up and watch it!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

He did stay up and watch it.

Edited by Inver

• 2 weeks later...

Hiya Sedge......so the season starts......Andy & Glendale got beat 1-2 for their first game.....were 0-1 down and then Andy managed an equaliser, but unfortunately they kicked off and the opposition popped another in the net to win 2-1.

Ah well only first game of the season.

Here we go...start of the 'call offs'. Andy & Co supposed to have a midweek game tonight, but due to the heavy rain we have had the game is off due to waterlogged pitch! Good heavens their second game of the season! Oh what fun we have with out weather :D

Andy and his U'13's had a friendly with the other Culter U'13's tonight and they won 4-1. All his hard work coaching seemed to pay off. They did him proud tonight. Just setting them up for the new season hopefully. He was well chuffed with their performance. Hope it continues.