Something I've Learned Today

ned

• Replies 628
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D: I never understand this. In relation to what?! Other galaxies? What are they travelling in relation to? Surely if there is nothing in space then you can't travel relative to nothing? :smile2:

You are correct, there is no absolute frame of reference according to the theory of relativity. However for argument sake there's the local frame of reference of the Hubble Flow.

I've learned who Ronnie Dio was. I had never heard of him.

That Henry VIII's fourth wife was actually called Anna of Cleves and not Anne (I guess they anglicised it).

I don't know why but I thought that 'Pride and Prejudice' was Jane's first published novel, turn's out it was 'Sense and Sensibility'.

Edited by poppyshake

I learnt that Ku Klux Klan is 'a name derived from the fanciful resemblance to the sound produced by cocking a rifle.' (Thanks Sherlock Holmes!)

I remember reading that now, at the time i probably though "that's pretty interesting, i'll have to remember that" wait another week and i'll probably have forgotten again :lol:

I'll probably forget it too. :lol: I'll probably re-read the book in a couple of years and then come here and post the exact same thing. Really, I wouldn't put it past myself. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

That there's a Twilight Sucks forum. No kidding. I was looking for something that had nothing to do with Twilight (Elvish tattoo art) and somehow I got to a pic that would have to be on that forum, well it wasn't, or not that I could find. But seriously.. a Twilight Sucks forum? People who say how sad it is that people love Twilight? Well I think it's sadder that people bother to make a forum about that. Right? :blush:

It seems kind of pointless to put so much work and effort into hating something, doesn't it?

It reminds me of the comments pages on news websites, where irate people post comments on some stories to complain about how unimportant they are. Well, why click on the link? That only encourages them to post more such stories because they think there is demand for it!

If you ignore it, maybe it'll go away. :blush:

I love ignoring things, Kylie! It always amazes me how people don't realize that drawing attention to something by complaining about it only gets people's notice more. Thereby making the thing they're so vocal about get more popular! :blush:

Ignoring things is so much more fun and a heck of a lot easier than putting all your energy into hating something. What's the point?

I hate Twilight, so I just ignore that it exists. It makes me much happier than constantly griping about it.

And for those who suspect that I started that Twilight Sucks forum...no, I didn't. :blush:

• 1 year later...

Had to resurrect this thread, as I've just been completely amazed by something I've just learned - the author Margaret Drabble was married to actor Clive Swift, who plays Richard Bucket in Keeping Up Appearances, and one of their children is Gardener's World presenter Joe Swift. I would never in a million years have associated them with each other!

• 5 months later...

They say you learn something new every day. What have you learned today?

Yesterday I learnt not to eat too much late at night and go to bed on it.

Today I learnt that going to work after two and a half hours sleep in not a good idea!

Today I learnt that going to work after two and a half hours sleep in not a good idea!

Oh man yeah been in that bad place a few times. Sudafed and Red Bull to stay awake and many trips to the toilet to rest when your legs can't stand up any more just to get through the shift...

• 3 years later...

They have shares in Body shop??!!!

well that stops me going there then.

As for the reasons why you should Boycott all Nestle items. There are loads of them.

Psuhing formula baby milk to mothers in developing countries, even campaigners claim that it cause many unneccesary deaths to infants. Tjhey would hand out free powdered milk in the maternity wards and then stop when they were released which cause many parents the need to continue the formula afterwards. Of course many parents could not afford the milk and would either not get it or buy it and use half the amount of measures which of course led to the baby being malnurished (sorry spelling) They deliberatly cross the line and break many codes of conducts just to put money in their back pockets.

They have many issues also with the treatment of their workers, espeically in the philippines, where there have been accusations of labour right violations in it's factories.

I could really go on all day, and there are loads of websites that are against the company and all it's affliliations. There are more products than what you think.

Thanks Kell for making the Body Shop one known. I can't believe they have the rightsfor that. Conisdering they are suppose to be so ethical!!!

Sorry for the ramble and I probably got some of that wrong due to getting really infuriated!

This was all about Nestle... Well, today I learned about their bottled water. This is really sickening

• 2 weeks later...