Frankie Reads 2010

frankie

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Kylie :lol: It really did make my day yesterday, to see that she'd e-mailed me like 4-5 hours after I e-mailed her, I never thought that authors would actually e-mail anyone back :)

Kylie I think you've read The Giver, haven't you, but have you read the other novels in that trilogy? I'm thinking about getting those books. I'd also like to read some of Lowry's stand alone novels.

I've read and enjoyed The Giver, and I have Gathering Blue and Messenger on my TBR pile, as well as Number the Stars (which I think you have also?)

The trilogy fits into my dystopian challenge, so I want to read at least those two this year. :)

I've read and enjoyed The Giver, and I have Gathering Blue and Messenger on my TBR pile, as well as Number the Stars (which I think you have also?)

Good to hear you have the books already, and like you said they'll fit perfectly into your this year's reading since their dystopian novels :roll: I only have The Giver and the Anastasia books, the Number the Stars novels is something you've cooked up yourself. :D

Apparently Lowry has written 35 books in total so I'm going to need to take a look at what other stuff she's written. Exciting :D

Read more of Pygmalion last night, I'm really enjoying this one which is surprising to me!

I only have The Giver and the Anastasia books, the Number the Stars novels is something you've cooked up yourself. :roll:

Oops :D She's quite the prolific writer, isn't she? She won an award for Number the Stars, which is set during World War II.

Oops :D She's quite the prolific writer, isn't she? She won an award for Number the Stars, which is set during World War II.

I didn't know about the award, there's so much to learn! There a minibio of her in goodreads.com which I read, it was quite illuminating.

I was just checking out the first page of your thread and wow have you bought a lot of books already! :lol: I take my hat off to you :lol:

And it's great that you've already read 11 books. What's up next now that you've finished Pygmalion?

Charm, glad I could cheer you up :lol:

Kylie I know, a lot of books. But almost all of them were cheap secondhand books I swear!!

I started reading GwtW the day before yesterday but I fell asleep before I could finish the second page :lol: Yesterday I was too busy to continue reading it, and as it's too heavy to be read in bed I started Flowers for Algernon as a side read. That one's pretty good, have you read it Kylie? If not, it's on the Rory list and it would make a great read for your dystopian challenge :lol:

Ooh, Flowers for Algernon is very near the top of my TBR pile! Maybe I'll start that one tomorrow and read it (sort of) alongside you. I really shouldn't when I already have two books on the go, but it's too irresistible! :lol:

Ooh, Flowers for Algernon is very near the top of my TBR pile! Maybe I'll start that one tomorrow and read it (sort of) alongside you. I really shouldn't when I already have two books on the go, but it's too irresistible! :lol:

Oooh, that would be cool! My copy's only 216 pages and it seems to be an easyish read once you get used to the writing. It reminds me a little bit of Forest Gump, but without the irony and with scifi elements :lol:

Book 11. Pygmalion by Bernhard Shaw

I believe some/most of you have heard of or seen the musical My Fair Lady or watched the movie. I've watched the movie and I found it just awful. In general I can't stand musicals (with the exception of Fame and West Side Story) but My Fair Lady was such a classic and an interesting story as well that I thought it would be great fun to watch it. Well I hated it! Audrey Hepburn groaning and moaning as Eliza Doolittle was something that traumatized me to no end. I had to fast forward some of the film...

I picked up Pygmalion from the library just because it was on Rory Gilmore's book list, I have to admit. Then I realised that it was not just some novel, it was a play and what's more, it was the play on which that musical was based on. When I started reading the play, I swear I heard Hepburn's spine scratching voice everytime I read a line by Eliza Doolittle. Not a very pleasant experience! It bothered me for a while, but then I noticed that I was totally into the storyline and the more I read, the more I started liking the character of Eliza.

Eliza is a flowergirl who has to provide for herself by selling flowers in the streets. Mr Higgings, a scientist of phonetics, convinces his friend Pickering he could take the Cockney out of her if he wished so. Eliza happens to overhear this and the next morning she comes to meet Mr Higgings and asks him to make a lady out of her. They decide to give the project six months and after that she needs to pass for a princess for Higgings to win his bet with Pickering. Higgings of course wants to prove his superiority in the field of phonetics but Eliza only wishes her transformation would lead to a better situation in life for her.

What happens when Higgings has won his bet is a more complex story and you will have to read the play for yourself :readingtwo: There were so many great and different views on society and manners that I was taking notes like a madwoman. I was utterly surprised at how much I enjoyed reading this play! I would definitely give it 5/5!

Now, some people have wondered why one would read the books from a certain list (e.g. the Rory list, the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die -list) and not just read whatever one fancies. During my darkest hours I have sometimes wondered myself whether following a list is very sensible. After reading Pygmalion (which I only picked because it was on the Rory list) I am more determined to follow Rory and not question whether there's any real sense in it. I have picked up books I never would have chosen myself and found that they are great and I would've missed out on a lot of excellent reads had I not been following the list!

Edited by frankie

Book 11. Pygmalion by Bernhard Shaw

Now, some people have wondered why one would read the books from a certain list (e.g. the Rory list, the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die -list) and not just read whatever one fancies. During my darkest hours I have sometimes wondered myself whether following a list is very sensible. After reading Pygmalion (which I only picked because it was on the Rory list) I am more determined to follow Rory and not question whether there's any real sense in it. I have picked up books I never would have chosen myself and found that they are great and I would've missed out on a lot of excellent reads had I not been following the list!

That is a really great insight, Frankie. I feel the same about lists. The open doors for us to worlds we may have passed by and never realized that we were missing.

I never realized that Pygmalion and My Fair Lady were one in the same story. Now it is definitely going on my list! :D Honestly :readingtwo: I loved the movie My Fair Lady. Audrey is one of my favorite actresses and, though I admit her voice is really annoying in the movie, I loved the story and her character of Eliza.

That is a really great insight, Frankie. I feel the same about lists. The open doors for us to worlds we may have passed by and never realized that we were missing.

Exactly! :lol: It's a wonderful way to broaden one's horizons. And it's not like we would be forced to finish the ones we didn't like on the list, we do have the choice to drop those that we've started and not liked, right? :D This BCF is a sort of a List itself, really, I've picked up so many interesting sounding novels that I've read about on here. If it hadn't been for this forum and the Rory List and the 1001 Books list, I might still be just rereading my old favorites or reading chick lit and Agatha Christie only.

I never realized that Pygmalion and My Fair Lady were one in the same story. Now it is definitely going on my list! ;) Honestly :readingtwo: I loved the movie My Fair Lady. Audrey is one of my favorite actresses and, though I admit her voice is really annoying in the movie, I loved the story and her character of Eliza.

It really took me by surprise that Pygmalion = My Fair Lady! Glad to hear it's going on your list too :( I don't mind Audrey Hepburn but my god she sounded awful in My Fair Lady (which of course was intended). I think she was more one-dimensional in the movie, the Pygmalion really brings out her character I think. Or then it's just all the fast forwarding I did :lol:

Glad you ended up enjoying Pymalion in the end frankie. I remember we had to study it for an english exam in school and it was the only book on the list I enjoyed! We were taken to see the play too which was really exciting. I have to say though I enjoyed the film just as much, although I may be a bit biased as I just love Audrey Hepburn :readingtwo:

:readingtwo: This BCF is a sort of a List itself, really, I've picked up so many interesting sounding novels that I've read about on here. If it hadn't been for this forum and the Rory List and the 1001 Books list, I might still be just rereading my old favorites or reading chick lit and Agatha Christie only.

You're so right! :D BCF is like one huge ultimate book list! I swear, in the short time I've been here my personal mountian of books has grown 10 fold! I NEVER would have attempted Gone with the Wind if it hadn't been for the Rory List and a few good souls who chose to read it too :lol:

It would be really interesting if they ever did a remake of My Fair Lady to see who would be cast as Eliza. The role itself is iconic, let alone the actress who played it, so I don't know if any director or production company would have the guts to take it on. If done right, it could be amazing!

Glad you ended up enjoying Pymalion in the end frankie. I remember we had to study it for an english exam in school and it was the only book on the list I enjoyed! We were taken to see the play too which was really exciting. I have to say though I enjoyed the film just as much, although I may be a bit biased as I just love Audrey Hepburn :readingtwo:

Wow, glad to see another Pygmalion enthusiast! :lol: And how lucky were you, being able to go and see the play as well... There are some benefits to living in an English-speaking country I say!

Audrey Hepburn seems to be very popular on here :D Please don't think I don't like her, it's just that I've only seen her in My Fair Lady and she played a character I didn't like, and it was a musical as well. I don't think I've seen her in other movies, I'm not usually one to watch old movies, Finnish or English :lol: I guess I'm poor at watching movies, full stop, compared to some of you guys.

Audrey Hepburn seems to be very popular on here :readingtwo: Please don't think I don't like her, it's just that I've only seen her in My Fair Lady and she played a character I didn't like, and it was a musical as well. I don't think I've seen her in other movies, I'm not usually one to watch old movies, Finnish or English :lol: I guess I'm poor at watching movies, full stop, compared to some of you guys.

If you ever want to see a good Audrey movie I recommend either Breakfast at Tiffany's or Sabrina. They are my two favorites of hers. :D

You're so right! :lol: BCF is like one huge ultimate book list! I swear, in the short time I've been here my personal mountian of books has grown 10 fold! I NEVER would have attempted Gone with the Wind if it hadn't been for the Rory List and a few good souls who chose to read it too :(

You took the words right out of my mouth and I dare say out of other people's mouths as well :lol: We've all said it before but I'm still truly and utterly glad for the Rory Group we put on here! :readingtwo:

It would be really interesting if they ever did a remake of My Fair Lady to see who would be cast as Eliza. The role itself is iconic, let alone the actress who played it, so I don't know if any director or production company would have the guts to take it on. If done right, it could be amazing!

Wow, that is an interesting idea! I hope it wouldn't go out to, say, Lindsay Lohan, the Hollywood pet... :D Or Miley Curys. *Vomit!!* ;)

If you ever want to see a good Audrey movie I recommend either Breakfast at Tiffany's or Sabrina. They are my two favorites of hers. :lol:

Thanks for the tip! Breakfast at Tiffany's has always been something I've been rather curious about, I have no idea what it's about but the name always pops up. You know I would have to read the book first, since it's on 1001 Books list, though :D:readingtwo: I've never heard of Sabrina before, the next time I'm going to the library I'll see if they have the DVD :lol:

Wow, glad to see another Pygmalion enthusiast! :( And how lucky were you, being able to go and see the play as well... There are some benefits to living in an English-speaking country I say!

Audrey Hepburn seems to be very popular on here :D Please don't think I don't like her, it's just that I've only seen her in My Fair Lady and she played a character I didn't like, and it was a musical as well. I don't think I've seen her in other movies, I'm not usually one to watch old movies, Finnish or English ;) I guess I'm poor at watching movies, full stop, compared to some of you guys.

I think seeing the play, educational wise, was a great way of helping with the study of the story. We were also studying George Orwell's 'Animal Farm' at the same time which didn't impress me at all :readingtwo: I would imagine a play of that would have been a lot more fun! :lol:

Don't worry, I don't think you dislike Audrey and I do understand your feelings on her in the musical, her cockney accent was a bit cringeworthy but I think her normal voice is beautiful. I'm so not a fan of musicals myself but I can still remember clearly the songs in this one, it was always shown around Christmas time so maybe there's a bit of fond childhood memories in the mix too :lol:

I think seeing the play, educational wise, was a great way of helping with the study of the story. We were also studying George Orwell's 'Animal Farm' at the same time which didn't impress me at all :readingtwo: I would imagine a play of that would have been a lot more fun! :lol:

Piggies running wild on stage :lol: Awww I'd love that, I'd go and see it!! Too bad you didn't like the novel though, it's on my list. Fancy a reread at some point, to see if you'd appreciate it more this time around? :(

And yes I agree, seeing the play must have helped with the study and it's always great to have something different to do so it's not always sitting in the classes. Who knows if one of you became in interested in theatre after that and now has a job in that field!

Don't worry, I don't think you dislike Audrey and I do understand your feelings on her in the musical, her cockney accent was a bit cringeworthy but I think her normal voice is beautiful. I'm so not a fan of musicals myself but I can still remember clearly the songs in this one, it was always shown around Christmas time so maybe there's a bit of fond childhood memories in the mix too ;)

I remember you saying that you're not a fan of musicals either and I was beginning to think that maybe your OH has stolen your password and is now secretly engaging in talking about his favorite hobby: watching musicals! Do check out if he has any residue of your lipstick on his lips today! :D