Frankie Reads 2010

frankie

Hmmm moonshine with monkeys. Quite the image that conjurs up, Frankie! :)

Trucks is a creepy story, Kylie, I forgot about that one! Do you remember the one with all the little army men that come to life and attack the guy who's been arranging them? What is it with King and animating his inanimate objects?! :lol:

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got Lost Dogs and Lonely Souls in the mail today, me happy! :D

Went to the library yesterday and borrowed two books by Stephen King, The Dark Half and Salem's Lot. I'm not sure what Salem's Lot is about but I've heard a lot of great things about it, is it any good (and, is it about vampires?). Koontz's books were also right next to his and read some of the novels' blurbs, Fear Nothing sounded very intriguing and will probably try reading it sometime.

I have far too many books to read at the moment, and far too many books that I want to start reading immediately.

And still, I find myself planning on my reading, getting more books to read and reading about reading on here rather than reading books myself!! :lol:

SALEM'S LOT IS AMAZING!! :lol:

Okay so I'm overdoing it, but it actually is a great book. Very readable, pure classic vampire story - like a modern Dracula, sort of. It's approach to vamps is very much a throwback to that kind of traditional vamp. And as with all King's best work, it's very well constructed. I hope you enjoy it!

Book 2. Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay

Blurb:

What's more frightening than your next-door neighbours being murdered? Finding out the killers went to the wrong house . . .

For the Cutter family, the idea that they may have been the intended target seems crazy - but each of them has a secret they'd rather keep buried. What was on that old computer teenager Derek had salvaged? And where is it now? What hold does a local professor and bestselling author have on Eileen Cutter? And what does Jim Cutter know about his neighbour that even her husband didn't?

But the final secret - the secret that could save or destroy them - is in the one place no one would ever think of looking . . .

Thoughts:

This novel kept me on my toes! And also kept me reading and reading. Too bad I had other engagements as well, otherwise I might have been able to read this in one day, the book was so utterly gripping!

I think this novel has one of the most shocking and captivating prologues that I have ever read, which is saying a lot when I think about all the thrillers I've read through the years. Here's the first paragraph:

Derek figured, when the time came, the crawlspace would be the best place to hide. The only thing was, he hoped the Langleys wouldn't take that long, once he was in position, to get the hell out of their house and hit the road. The last time Derek had played with Adam in their crawlspace, they'd been eight, nine years old. They'd pretend it was a cave filled with treasure, or the cargo hold of a spaceship, and there was a monster hiding in there somewhere.

Who's this Derek and what on earth is he up to? Little by little we find out what kind of schemes he has in mind. One can decide for oneself what they think about his plans and whether he should succeed or not. However, I'm sure no one would wish the things that happen thereafter on anyone...

After the prologue the reader is introduced to Jim Cutter, Derek's father, who will be the narrator throughout the rest of the novel. I think the switch in the narration was a very interesting one and allows us to see things from a different point-of-view. I like the way we first learn about the events from the teenager's point-of-view and then we can see how the father struggles with trying to understand his sons moodyness. It depicts the barriers between the parent and the offspring and the total lack of communication between them that I think is just too common in the families, something we all know from experience or have seen or heard of in the news or TV. Anyway, that doesn't play a huge part in the novel and I'm getting sidetracked here but I had to mention it because I loved that aspect of the novel.

Having said that, it's easy for me to carry on and say that although this is a fairly typical thriller, it is one of the best written thrillers I've ever read. I kept turning the pages and could sometimes not believe some of the turns and twists. The story unravelled itself in a good pace but there was always something missing out of the bigger picture that kept me wondering. And while I kept beating my two brain cells to come together, I continued reading and absolutely loved the way other things that seemed unrelated to the bigger picture were told. Which one of us did not enjoy reading about the carpet incident? Or about a certain nosey escapade? Certain moral dilemmas were presented which gave me food for thought, and the way certain people responded to these dilemmas was additional material for the brain to dwell on. I truly loved Jim Cutter and the way he handled everything :lol:

I wouldn't say the characters became three-dimensional and very real to me but that isn't a too big of a flaw when considering how the storyline was so incredible. Two dimensions are quite enough.

I'm running out of things I can say withouth spoiling the story so I'll just wrap this up: I absolutely loved this thriller and I'm so grateful to those people who recommended this here on BCF! Oh actually it was the other book, No Time for Goodbye, I keep forgetting that! :lol: When I was searching for these books I got TCtH cheaper so I decided to read it first to see if it was any good. Now that I know, I cannot wait to read NTfG, which should be on it's way to my beloved mailbox :D

All in all, a definite 5/5 read for me, and I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good thriller :D

Those of you who have read the novel, I'd like to ask if any of you

figured out that Drew was behind the killings? Somewhere around p. ~320 I had that idea that he might have something to do with it, and the more I read the more I realised that the way things are going it's actually possible that he did it. But I'm usually wayyyyy off when I'm guessing the whodunnits that I figured that I'm all wrong again :lol:

Book 2. Too Close to Home by Linwood Barclay

Blurb:

What's more frightening than your next-door neighbours being murdered? Finding out the killers went to the wrong house . . .

For the Cutter family, the idea that they may have been the intended target seems crazy - but each of them has a secret they'd rather keep buried. What was on that old computer teenager Derek had salvaged? And where is it now? What hold does a local professor and bestselling author have on Eileen Cutter? And what does Jim Cutter know about his neighbour that even her husband didn't?

But the final secret - the secret that could save or destroy them - is in the one place no one would ever think of looking . . .

Thoughts:

This novel kept me on my toes! And also kept me reading and reading. Too bad I had other engagements as well, otherwise I might have been able to read this in one day, the book was so utterly gripping!

I think this novel has one of the most shocking and captivating prologues that I have ever read, which is saying a lot when I think about all the thrillers I've read through the years. Here's the first paragraph:

Derek figured, when the time came, the crawlspace would be the best place to hide. The only thing was, he hoped the Langleys wouldn't take that long, once he was in position, to get the hell out of their house and hit the road. The last time Derek had played with Adam in their crawlspace, they'd been eight, nine years old. They'd pretend it was a cave filled with treasure, or the cargo hold of a spaceship, and there was a monster hiding in there somewhere.

Who's this Derek and what on earth is he up to? Little by little we find out what kind of schemes he has in mind. One can decide for oneself what they think about his plans and whether he should succeed or not. However, I'm sure no one would wish the things that happen thereafter on anyone...

After the prologue the reader is introduced to Jim Cutter, Derek's father, who will be the narrator throughout the rest of the novel. I think the switch in the narration was a very interesting one and allows us to see things from a different point-of-view. I like the way we first learn about the events from the teenager's point-of-view and then we can see how the father struggles with trying to understand his sons moodyness. It depicts the barriers between the parent and the offspring and the total lack of communication between them that I think is just too common in the families, something we all know from experience or have seen or heard of in the news or TV. Anyway, that doesn't play a huge part in the novel and I'm getting sidetracked here but I had to mention it because I loved that aspect of the novel.

Having said that, it's easy for me to carry on and say that although this is a fairly typical thriller, it is one of the best written thrillers I've ever read. I kept turning the pages and could sometimes not believe some of the turns and twists. The story unravelled itself in a good pace but there was always something missing out of the bigger picture that kept me wondering. And while I kept beating my two brain cells to come together, I continued reading and absolutely loved the way other things that seemed unrelated to the bigger picture were told. Which one of us did not enjoy reading about the carpet incident? Or about a certain nosey escapade? Certain moral dilemmas were presented which gave me food for thought, and the way certain people responded to these dilemmas was additional material for the brain to dwell on. I truly loved Jim Cutter and the way he handled everything :lol:

I wouldn't say the characters became three-dimensional and very real to me but that isn't a too big of a flaw when considering how the storyline was so incredible. Two dimensions are quite enough.

I'm running out of things I can say withouth spoiling the story so I'll just wrap this up: I absolutely loved this thriller and I'm so grateful to those people who recommended this here on BCF! Oh actually it was the other book, No Time for Goodbye, I keep forgetting that! :lol: When I was searching for these books I got TCtH cheaper so I decided to read it first to see if it was any good. Now that I know, I cannot wait to read NTfG, which should be on it's way to my beloved mailbox :D

All in all, a definite 5/5 read for me, and I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good thriller :D

Those of you who have read the novel, I'd like to ask if any of you

figured out that Drew was behind the killings? Somewhere around p. ~320 I had that idea that he might have something to do with it, and the more I read the more I realised that the way things are going it's actually possible that he did it. But I'm usually wayyyyy off when I'm guessing the whodunnits that I figured that I'm all wrong again :lol:

Wow great review! can't wait to read it!

I'm delighted you enjoyed it Frankie - it really is one of those books that would have you peering outside your window, just in case.... :friends0:

I had no idea who was behind it. I don't usually read thrillers and my whodunnit skills are terribly lacking for someone who grew up playing Cluedo. I agree with everything else you said too - not perfect characters, but perfection was unnecessary in light of the actual storytelling. I want to read it again now! :censored: I'd say there's a lot to be gotten from reading it while KNOWING who did what and why.

Thanks catwoman! I hope you enjoy it when you get to it :friends0:

I'm delighted you enjoyed it Frankie - it really is one of those books that would have you peering outside your window, just in case.... :censored:

There's a good reason why I'm happy to live on the second floor, not on the first :roll:

I want to read it again now! :) I'd say there's a lot to be gotten from reading it while KNOWING who did what and why.

:) I'm definitely keeping my copy so I can reread it some time.

Today I got Fractured but I'm afraid I can't start reading it immediately because I started the Lost Dogs book last night.

Of course :roll::censored::) :) Can't wait to get to it! I'd actually forgotten that it was a Will Trent novel, but that doesn't matter, he seemed like a really likable character in Triptych. Oh boy Triptych was such an awesome book, I want to read it again :friends0:

Of course :roll::censored::) :) Can't wait to get to it! I'd actually forgotten that it was a Will Trent novel, but that doesn't matter, he seemed like a really likable character in Triptych. Oh boy Triptych was such an awesome book, I want to read it again :friends0:

Haha, it is such a good book. I was reading through Shin's reading log and she read it not so long ago and it made me think back.

Fractured is good, but not one of her best. I will be honest with you. But you will get to meet a new character, whooo hoooo!

Hi Frankie, you have one big reading list going on there. :friends0:

Glad you have Fractured, you have to start reading it soon.

I agree with catwoman, I didn't find it as good as Triptych but still good.

Hope you enjoy it.

It would be very hard for Fractured to match the amazingness of Triptych, in my humble opinion Triptych is the best Slaughter book ever. So it doesn't stand a chance I'm afraid. I'm very eager to start the book though, catwoman I didn't know/remember there was yet another important person to get to know?

I'm going to my parents' this weekend and I'll be packing Fractured :friends0:

It would be very hard for Fractured to match the amazingness of Triptych, in my humble opinion Triptych is the best Slaughter book ever. So it doesn't stand a chance I'm afraid. I'm very eager to start the book though, catwoman I didn't know/remember there was yet another important person to get to know?

I'm going to my parents' this weekend and I'll be packing Fractured :friends0:

Yeah you get introduced to Faith Mitchell, I think that is her name. ( Iknow her name is Faith) Anyway she becomes a big character in this book and in Genisis. Look forward to hear what you think of her.

Fantastic review frankie! I saw Too Close To Home several times in charity shops last week but didn't get one, maybe time for a return trip! :)

Do you mean to say you haven't actually read it yet?! You've missed a great one, I hope you find a copy quickly! :D

Ben I know, you've said that in the Karin Slaughter -thread a couple of times, and still I don't see you starting to actually read the book :D Why don't you try it next? :lol:

Hey Frankie!

My copy of Q&A arrived today :D Thanks for making me aware of it's existence. The Armand Vs Slumdog fight is still raging :lol:

I'm glad to be of service :) Shoot, I'd hoped you'd have already read the escapades of dude Armand :D Finish him, finish him off!!

My common sense is saying "finish him of you fool!" while the excitable 5 year old that lives in my brain is saying "get distracted! Get distracted!!" And that 5 year old can be rather annoying.......................... Right I'm going to read Armand tonight and see how I feel about it.

Hope you're having happy reading Miss F :)

Nicola, I'd like to say finish off that 5year old but that would be very cruel indeed! I hope your Armand hasn't been giving you any more troubles :lol:

Book 3. Lost Dogs and Lonely Hearts by Lucy Dillon

Blurb:

Rachel has inherited a house in the country, along with a rescue kennels. She claims she's not a 'dog' person. But then she tries to match the abandoned pets with new owners with some unexpected results...

Natalie and Johnny's marriage hasn't been easy since they started trying for a baby. But will adopting Bertie, a fridge-raiding, sofa-stealing Basset hound make up for it?

Meanwhile Zoe's ex-husband has given their kids a Labrador puppy, and left her to pick up the mess - literally. She's at the end of her tether, until her pup leads her to handsome doctor Bill, whose own perfect match isn't what he was expecting at all.

As the new owners' paths cross, and their lives become interwoven, they - along with their dogs - all find themselves learning important lessons about loyalty, second chances and truly unconditional love.

Thoughts:

As some of you already know I'm a huge fan of dogs, and when I noticed this title in the Book Activity -thread I had to order it online immediately. This novel was a light, enjoyable read with a couple of tear-jerker moments. The secret about Rachel's aunt Dot (who was the previous owner of the kennels and who left them to Rachel) was a bit of a disappointment, I'd expected something more excruciating. I also think that the book ended with a couple of loose ends and I didn't get the most satisfactory, 'closure' kind of feeling which I usually get with books. For example,

what happened to Megan in the end? Was she not infatuated with Bill after all?

. I also have to say that dogs could've played a bigger part in this novel ;)

Overall, not my favorite chick-lit book (not even close!) and not my favorite dog-lit book, but an enjoyable read anyway. 3/5.

Book 4. Dewey: A Small Town, a Library and the World's Most Beloved Cat by Vicki Myron with Bret Witter

I couldn't find the blurb on the Internet and my copy's not in English so instead I got this review from play.com:

How many lives can one abandoned kitten touch? This is the heart-warming and unforgettable story of a truly idiosyncratic cat with a strong sense of loyalty and love, and a taste for fast-food. When he was just a few weeks old, Dewey Readmore Books was shoved through the book returns slot of his local library in a sleepy town. Starving, terrified and bruised after being battered by falling books, Dewey curled up into the arms of the library director Vicky. Vicky was a single mother who had escaped a violent husband and was struggling to bring up her little girl Jodi alone. Vicky fell in love with the little bundle of fur in her arms and campaigned to allow Dewey to stay and become the library cat. She didnt know what she was letting herself in for Deweys arrival transformed Vicky and Jodis lives, as well as the staff at the library and eventually the fortunes of an entire town. Dewey was an instant hit with the library regulars and had an amazing instinct to cuddle up close to visitors that were going through a tough time.Vicky tells the incredible story of one severely disabled, wheelchair bound girl that Dewey took a shine to and how he would climb inside her jacket as she giggled hysterically and her eyes, usually almost catatonic, burst into life.He supervised childrens reading groups and ensured no child felt left out by snuggling into the laps of any outsiders. He was a ball of mischievous energy and relished in turning the hitherto quiet and predictable routines of the library upside down. Dewey became the towns number one attraction and he began regularly appearing in the national and international media. Fans from all over the world visited the small town to pay homage to the world's most beloved cat.

Thoughts:

The only thing I regret about reading this book is that I haven't read it earlier! This was such an amazing and charming read, it was like Marley and Me but with a cat this time! I'm more of a dog-person and I don't know that much about cats but this lilla fella stole my heart :D I laughed out loud when I read about the rubberbands and the Christmas tree and the little visitor who made Dewey go ballistic, and I cried when I read about how poor Dewey ended up in the library in the first place. A very emotional read indeed :)

This is a must-read for any catlover out there, and other animal lovers are also sure to enjoy this read! I would wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone who's even slightly interested.

By the way, Gary Roma made a documentary about Dewey and loads of other librarycats as well, and the documentary is called Puss in Books and I'm going to go and find out if I can catch any snippets of it on youtube :lol: I'm also going to visit the website of the library to see if they still have info on Dewey (http://www.spencerlibrary.com)

Verdict: 5/5, quite obviously!