Frankie Reads 2010

frankie

IMHO: In My Humble Opinion. Not that my opinion is in any way humble, but you catch my drift :D.

Peacefield: oh dear, I'll stay away from Pet Sematary then. Thank heavens the book's better, I have a first edition of that awaiting me on the shelf (such a ridiculous cover but it smells of good old book...!).

And, of course, how could I forget? 'The Body' ---> Stand by Me. Classic film.

Re: general off-topicness, you're all welcome to re-locate to Grumbling and Giggling with Giulia so as to give Frankie her thread back *I'm a bad Mod :D*!

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please, whatever you do BookJumper, do not see Pet Semetary! Horrid film and such a better book.

What the f peacefield, Pet Sematary is a damn fine movie! I'd read the book and see the movie if I were you BookJumper!

How could I forget about Dolores Claiborne when I was talking about the book? That's a fine film adaptation as well :D And Stand by Me, that goes without saying.

Mac don't worry, I'm totally interested in hearing you guys' King movie/book opinions and don't mind a bit of off-topicing at all!

Probably the worst King adaptations is the movie about that huge machine which used to crush people's bones. Can't remember for the life of me what the movie was called, or the book. Anyone?

Edit: BookJumper, I take full responsibility myself about The Dark Half, don't worry :D And there's Alan Pangborn in it <3

To see or not to see Pet Sematary? The dilemma! Why didn't you like it Peace?

"movie about that huge machine which used to crush people's bones"... I don't believe I've encountered that one!

... Alan Pangborn: who (please pardon my ignorance:lurker:)?

"movie about that huge machine which used to crush people's bones"... I don't believe I've encountered that one!

... Alan Pangborn: who (please pardon my ignorance:lurker:)?

I think you should read the book first, of course, but don't shy away from the movie. It's 1-1 right now, let Mac be the deciding voice. And if he says don't watch it, we'll wait till we can get to more people to vote yes :D

Alan Pangborn is the ever so adorable and admirable sheriff/police officer in Needful things <3

What the f peacefield, Pet Sematary is a damn fine movie! I'd read the book and see the movie if I were you BookJumper!

Agreed. Sorry peacefield! :jump:

Probably the worst King adaptations is the movie about that huge machine which used to crush people's bones. Can't remember for the life of me what the movie was called, or the book. Anyone?

Oh Oh I know that film!!! :roll: Can't for the life of me remember the bloody title though :D, will check with OH and get back on that. Mind you by the end of the evening we will both probably be going mad trying to remember it :D

Pet Semetary was my absolute favourite King book! Obviously the film wasn't quite as good, are they ever really? But I still really enjoyed it, in fact it was one of the scariest I had seen at the time!

Hmm, a very interesting dilemma you have! I guess The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon wasn't as bad as some of the others, but in my opinion it's the worst book by him, I found it really boring and just plain awful, I really hated reading that book :roll:The Stand is scary and it's a really long novel as well, but unless you don't mind longer novels then maybe you could read it.

I'm trying to think of a novel by dear SK which wouldn't be too scary and I can only think of a couple of them which might suit you. Dolores Claiborne is something that doesn't have anything supernatural to it, and it's dealing with a couple of crimes, nothing too scary. And a great novel it is :D

What also came to mind was Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption which is a short novel and it was originally published in Different Seasons. It's a really gripping prison story. Have you seen the movie? That's one of the best movies that has ever been made :D

I welcome other people's thoughts on Stephen King, maybe someone else has better suggestions? :jump:

Edit: You might also want to check out the thread on Stephen King and see if you can find something suitable there. I'm sure people on here would love to help you out with this if you ask them what they would recommend!

Aww that is a disappointment about the Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon! :D but i will definately try Dolores Claiborne and Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption! I have never seen those movies, but I don't watch movies that much. Thanks!:roll:

Ironically, Dolores Claiborne (alongside Gerald's Game) is a Stephen King I couldn't deal with - I find his supernatural stuff less disturbing than his 'believable' stuff, I must say.

To Courtney I'd recommend Carrie - there are supernatural elements in it but it's more about a lonely girl wanting to fit in than anything else; only the ending is scary in the traditional sense and as it's quite a short book anyway it shouldn't be too much of a struggle.

Well, yues actually now that I think about it, I think that I agree with you bookjumper more, because I am scared about people coming and getting me (haha!) more than, say a monster. You know, stuff like that. What exactly is the Claiborne story? Well actually I think i will take Frankie's advice and move over to the King thread, we're very off topic:)

Oooooh!! Just remembered another excellent King adaptation! The Apt Pupil!
Have not read or seen it, the plot scares me:lurker: see what I mean, it's always the realistic ones!

Agreed.
Pet Sematary after Pet Sematary it is, then :D.

Well, yues actually now that I think about it, I think that I agree with you bookjumper more, because I am scared about people coming and getting me (haha!) more than, say a monster. You know, stuff like that. What exactly is the Claiborne story? Well actually I think i will take Frankie's advice and move over to the King thread, we're very off topic

Wiki says:

'As the story begins, Dolores Claiborne is in a police interrogation and wants to make clear to the police that she did not kill her wealthy employer, an elderly woman named Vera Donovan whom she has looked after for years. She does, however, confess to the murder of her husband, Joe St. George, almost 30 years before. Her "confession" develops into the story of her life, her troubled marriage, and her relationship with her employer.'

In Carrie, the horror is both realistic and supernatural but I find that because it's so short and less gruesomely descriptive than his later ones it might be your best bet.

And, Frankie's said she doesn't mind :D it's her thread!

I have so many favorites by King I couldn't put them in any particular order, but Misery along with Green Mile, Needful Things and Rose Madder are my favorites. And as I'm writing this I'm sure I forgot to mention some other novel!!

I'm glad to see that you loved Needful Things, Frankie. This was also highly recommended to me by my brother, who is a big King fan, but I hadn't seen much mention of it on the forum before. I already have it on my TBR pile.

Got it! :blush: Was it Graveyard Shift frankie? Click here

Yes, I think Charm's right. I recognised it as the short story of the same name that was in King's collection of short stories called Night Shift, which I think was the first King I ever read. I had no idea it had been made into a movie, and I don't particularly want to see it!

Oooooh!! Just remembered another excellent King adaptation! The Apt Pupil!

Have not read or seen it, the plot scares me:lurker: see what I mean, it's always the realistic ones!

Oh, I didn't realise this was a movie either, and another one I definitely won't be watching! The story freaked me out to no end (good choice in not reading it, Giulia). I seem to recall posting about it in the Disturbing Fiction thread. *shudder*

I love the short stories in Night Shift! Definitely one of my faves, and I distinctly remember a story called 'The Mangler' which was a folding machine in a laundry that would literally pull people in and fold them up! Busting them up and everything it was quite gruesome! :lol:

Mac will agree with me on Pet Sematary! I just remember how disappointed in it I was, as far as it not being as scary as the book. I also didn't really like the way the actor portrayed the dad. He annoyed me. Sorry, Frankie!

Worst King adaptation to film for me? The Shining. Hands down. No matter what Rawr says :blush:.

Pet Semetary was my absolute favourite King book! Obviously the film wasn't quite as good, are they ever really? But I still really enjoyed it, in fact it was one of the scariest I had seen at the time!

I dont' remember whether the book was as awesome as the movie, it's been a long time since I read it, but I have to say the two Pet Sematary movies are really scary. Coincidentally the both movies were shown on TV a couple of months ago and I have them on my digibox but I haven't been able to watch them yet, I'm too scared! I remember when I watched Pet Semaraty the last time, I felt really awful and sad after that for a long, long time!

Sorry Charm but it wasn't The Graveyard Shift, I think it was The Mangler which peacefield mentioned (my fault, I described the movie in cryptic words, and didn't remember the movie was a mangler until I saw peacefield's post):

I love the short stories in Night Shift! Definitely one of my faves, and I distinctly remember a story called 'The Mangler' which was a folding machine in a laundry that would literally pull people in and fold them up! Busting them up and everything it was quite gruesome! :hug:

I haven't read the story but the movie was simply ridiculous... !

I'm glad to see that you loved Needful Things, Frankie. This was also highly recommended to me by my brother, who is a big King fan, but I hadn't seen much mention of it on the forum before. I already have it on my TBR pile.

Nice, can't wait to hear what you think of it!

Mac will agree with me on Pet Sematary! I just remember how disappointed in it I was, as far as it not being as scary as the book. I also didn't really like the way the actor portrayed the dad. He annoyed me. Sorry, Frankie!

Well alright then peacefield, you're quite forgiven :D I guess we'll leave it to Giulia to decide what she can do on her own :boogie:

Worst King adaptation to film for me? The Shining. Hands down. No matter what Rawr says :smile2:.

Argh :boogie: It's very rare to disagree this much with you peacefield! The Shining (the Jack Nicholson version, haven't seen others) is absolutely amazing and I don't think the book compares at all, I was really bored when I read it the last time.

Oh, I just wanted to mention now that I thought of it that has anyone seen Cujo, and what do you think about that? I can't remember if I liked the movie or not, again it was ages since I last saw it. But I love the book, last time I read it it was a very warm summer's day, an excellent day to read that book. I was so scared and anxious and sad!

King's book 'Night Shift' has some excellent short stories in it, including The Mangler and The Lawnmower Man. I love his stort stories! :D I'm so sad to hear about your boredom with The Shining last time you read it, Frankie :hug:. It's easily one of my top-ten reads, and I just don't think Kubrick did it justice. I realize it's hard adapting a book to screen and that you can't include every minute detail, but to actually change the details you do include? That was my biggest gripe.

It's a good thing there are more books/films we have in common than not! :smile2:

It's easily one of my top-ten reads, and I just don't think Kubrick did it justice. I realize it's hard adapting a book to screen and that you can't include every minute detail, but to actually change the details you do include? That was my biggest gripe.

Ah so that was the problem. I do understand that you're miffed about it :D But I did love the little snowy maze running competion in the movie, I don't think that was in the book?

It's a good thing there are more books/films we have in common than not! :smile2:

Here here! :hug:

Speaking of short stories, I've usually steered clear of those but I've enjoyed some of the Richard Bachman ones, Rage and The Long Walk being my absolute favorites. I think Kylie might enjoy the latter, and it would make a great read for her dystopian challenge this year.

No hedge maze in the book! Rather, hedge animals, which I loved :D.

I've usually steered clear of short stories as well, but for some reason I was always attracted to King's. I'll have to check out those Richard Bachman stories, Frankie, thanks! :smile2:

No hedge maze in the book! Rather, hedge animals, which I loved :smile2:.

The hedge animals were great (meaning spooky!), I have to give you that :D

I've usually steered clear of short stories as well, but for some reason I was always attracted to King's. I'll have to check out those Richard Bachman stories, Frankie, thanks! :hug:

I hope you'll like them as much as I have!

Oh, I do remember another King short story which we found absolutely terrifying when we read it in our teens with a friend of mine. It was about a young boy visiting his Grandma all alone, and freaking out by her (did she die?) I have to read that one again at some point.

Edited by frankie
awful typos :D

Yep, I remember being creeped out by hedge animals at Disneyland when I was five! :smile2: Kubrick then used his added hedge maze to completely change the ending though, which I never understood. Oh and don't get me started on poor Dick Halloran! Sorry, I'll stop now :D.

That story about the boy and his grandmother sounds familiar, Frankie! I'll have to dig out Night Shift and see if it's in there. I completely forgot about Children of the Corn too! That's one of the stories in the book and that movie still gives me chills, yuck.

Yep, I remember being creeped out by hedge animals at Disneyland when I was five! :hug: Kubrick then used his added hedge maze to completely change the ending though, which I never understood. Oh and don't get me started on poor Dick Halloran! Sorry, I'll stop now :smile2:.

Awww, poor wee Marcia! :boogie::D Hmm, don't remember what's so wrong about Dick Halloran. I can't remember him in the movie, maybe that's exactly it?

I googled the short story I was talking about and it's simply "Gramma". I had a feeling it had a very simple and descriptive title. Wikipedia says: "'Gramma' is a short story by Stephen King first published in Weird Book magazine in 1984, and collected in King's 1985 Skeleton Crew anthology."

Hmm, don't remember what's so wrong about Dick Halloran. I can't remember him in the movie, maybe that's exactly it?

Dick communicates telepathically with Danny,

and essentially helps Wendy and Danny escape the Overlook. In the film though he gets axed, literally! I never understood the need to kill him :D

Oooh yeah Skeleton Crew, I remember that one! I don't think I read Gramma, but I need to find my copy of that book. I do remember 'Monkey Shines' from that one, about a creepy clapping monkey doll that was just horrible, and wasn't there a story called 'The Mist' or 'The Fog?'

Dick communicates telepathically with Danny,

and essentially helps Wendy and Danny escape the Overlook. In the film though he gets axed, literally! I never understood the need to kill him :hug:

Oh I didn't remember that at all! Dick

was such a sweetheart, I don't understand why they'd wanna snuff him :boogie:

Oooh yeah Skeleton Crew, I remember that one! I don't think I read Gramma, but I need to find my copy of that book. I do remember 'Monkey Shines' from that one, about a creepy clapping monkey doll that was just horrible, and wasn't there a story called 'The Mist' or 'The Fog?'

I haven't read all of the stories in that anthology because some of them seemed a bit boring and I just wanted to read the good stuff. The inpatience of a teen :smile2: Yeah there's a story called 'The Mist'. Check out the first edition cover art :D

Thanks for that link, Frankie! Oooh and The Mist cover is very creepy. I don't know where I came up with the title 'Monkey Shines' :smile2:. That story I was talking about is just called 'The Monkey.' If you ever decide to look at those short stories again Frankie, that particular story is a good one! That is if you don't get bored :D.

Thanks for that link, Frankie! Oooh and The Mist cover is very creepy. I don't know where I came up with the title 'Monkey Shines' :hug:. That story I was talking about is just called 'The Monkey.' If you ever decide to look at those short stories again Frankie, that particular story is a good one! That is if you don't get bored :smile2:.

Maybe I'll try reading at least The Monkey when I'm doing my reread of Gramma :D

Monkey Shines is a good title :boogie: You know everytime I read Monkey Shine in your posts I always kept thinking of moonshine with monkeys. Now that's a weird notion :boogie:

Speaking of short stories, I've usually steered clear of those but I've enjoyed some of the Richard Bachman ones, Rage and The Long Walk being my absolute favorites. I think Kylie might enjoy the latter, and it would make a great read for her dystopian challenge this year.

I think Kylie might enjoy it too. :lol:

I actually have this on my TBR pile for dystopians. It's in a collection of stories called The Bachman Books by Stephen King. The Running Man is also in that book, which I believe is another dystopian. I've been really excited to read these for a while. They sound right up my allley. :)

Another short story from Night Shift that I like is called Trucks, about the trucks coming to life and attacking people. That story always stayed with me from when I first read it many years ago.