Frankie Reads 2010

frankie

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you ended up enjoying Pymalion in the end frankie. I remember we had to study it for an english exam in school and it was the only book on the list I enjoyed! We were taken to see the play too which was really exciting. I have to say though I enjoyed the film just as much, although I may be a bit biased as I just love Audrey Hepburn :D

We never studied Pygmalion at school, but we were taken to see the play. I don't remember much of it but to this day it is the only play I have ever seen. :lol: I like the movie, but Audrey's accent is rather annoying.

You should definitely check out Breakfast at Tiffany's, Frankie! It's a very, very short read and very good. Capote is such an excellent writer, which I think you're going to learn very soon anyway when you read In Cold Blood. :readingtwo:

Oh, and Animal Farm is my one of the best books I have ever read. It's not the most exciting by any stretch, but I always think of it as the most technically perfect story ever written. It's there to make a point, and it does just that without wasting a singe word. Brilliant.

:readingtwo: Now that would definatley have to be a topic for discussion with him! There are lines which just can't be crossed with me :D

Hmph, I was probably talking about someone else's hubby all together you know. It was probably not on this forum either. I didn't say a word! *whistles*

You should definitely check out Breakfast at Tiffany's, Frankie! It's a very, very short read and very good. Capote is such an excellent writer, which I think you're going to learn very soon anyway when you read In Cold Blood.

A short read you say? Okay you've convinced me! :lol: While we're on the subject, I still haven't read In Cold Blood and the movie's on tonight! I have to save it on my digibox, which I don't feel too happy about since my digibox has been acting out a lot lately ;) But a friend of mine seemed interested in the movie when I told him about it, so in case everything else fails he's probably going to save that film on his digibox as well so I can watch it at some point, I think. Oooh, which somehow reminded me that I just went shopping and found me new jeans :(

Oh, and Animal Farm is my one of the best books I have ever read. It's not the most exciting by any stretch, but I always think of it as the most technically perfect story ever written. It's there to make a point, and it does just that without wasting a singe word. Brilliant.

Yep I had this vague idea that you enjoyed this novel a lot so I didn't let Charm's thoughts on the book get me down. And isn't it a short read as well? :lol: I'm all for short reads now it seems, I guess it has something to do with GwtW.

Okay, I got these today:

- Barbery, Muriel: The Elegance of the Hedgehog

- Block, Stefan Merrill: The Story of Forgetting

- Clinton, Hillary Rodham: Living History (Rory)

- Gogol, Nikolai: Taras Bul'ba (& The Tale of How Ivan Ivanovich Quarreled with Ivan Nikiforovich, The Nose, The Overcoat and Diary of a Madman)

- Koen, Karleen: Through a Glass Darkly

- Myron, Vicki: Dewey - A Small Town, a Library and the World's Most Beloved Cat

- Pelzer, Dave: A Child Called ”It”, The Lost Boy & A Man Named Dave

- Ripley, Alexandra: Scarlett

- Rodriguez, Deborah: The Kabul Beauty School

- Roos, Vappu: From Dante to Dickens – Biographies of the World's Greatest Masters of Literature

- Rule, Ann: If You Really Loved Me

- Stoker, Bram: Dracula

- Thackeray, William Makepeace: Vanity Fair

- Wharton, Edith: The House of Mirth

- Wodehouse, P. G.: Full Moon

Secondhand books, the lot :D And some of the money went to charity, so no scolding please :D

Excellent haul frankie :D I hope you had a suitcase with you to carry that lot back! :lol:The charity shops must be glad to see you coming, with the amount of books you buy you could save a small country! :lol:

It's nice to see though, there's nothing more satisfying than coming out of a charity shop with your bags bursting with books you want to read and knowing your money has went to help a good cause. I love it! :D

Well I do have this bag in which I stuff my clothes, nowadays I try to pack lightly and I mostly wear BF's shirts when I'm here so I can have more room for my books when I go back :lol: (I'm staying at BF's at the moment, I had to visit the charityshops and the secondhand bookshop here because they are my favorite ones for obvious reasons. So I actually hauled these books to BF's and then I'm going to have to haul these back to Joensuu :lol:)

I'm very happy with my haul :D I was thinking about wanting to read Scarlett and now I happened to find it just like that, also the Ann Rule book was a really pleasant surprise as well as the Dave Pelzer book which actually contains three of his books in one! The Gogol book was really cheap (1 euro) and there's the novel Taras Bulba and four short stories.

Perhaps my most favorite find was Vappu Roos's From Dante to Dickens, it's a huge a book with interesting info on some of the greatest writers, there are pics and it's in great condition, and it was only 4e :D

Plus, I really kept my cool in the shops, I could name more than five books that I wanted to buy but didn't want that desperately and left them in the store and saved me some money :D

Edited by frankie

Excellent haul Frankie! I had a good feeling about your book shopping but I didn't want to say anything and jinx it. So that explains the rumbling I heard last night (for real! I actually did hear rumbling and thought of you, but I think it was just workmen near my place :lol:)

Dracula is one of my favourite books, and I'm always glad to see ol' Wodehouse around. Vanity Fair is another daunting read (because of the size) but a good read nevertheless. You will probably find Becky to be as irritating as Scarlett. :lol:

I love that you wear your BF's clothes so you don't have to pack as many of your own. :D I'm so proud of you. :D

Excellent haul Frankie! I had a good feeling about your book shopping but I didn't want to say anything and jinx it. So that explains the rumbling I heard last night (for real! I actually did hear rumbling and thought of you, but I think it was just workmen near my place)

Are you sure it was the workmen?? =D lol!

The shopping was really good, I found the From Dante to Dickens from this place where I never find anything, and the same thing happened with the Through a Glass Darkly and Dewey. Also, the charityshop has been lately really quiet bookwise, I haven't found any good books there lately and yesterday I found 6! I'm well pleased =)

Dracula is one of my favourite books, and I'm always glad to see ol' Wodehouse around. Vanity Fair is another daunting read (because of the size) but a good read nevertheless. You will probably find Becky to be as irritating as Scarlett.

I've already read Dracula but I loved it and I know I want to reread it in the future so I had to have it. I actually haven't read any Wodehouse novels other than the Jeeves stuff so I'm a bit nervous about Full Moon, but I don't mind taking 'risks' :D I got Vanity Fair because it's on the 1001 Books but also because you'd mentioned that GwtW reminded you of that novel and also because I really liked the blurb. I find I'm quite into the historical fiction genre at the moment :D

I love that you wear your BF's clothes so you don't have to pack as many of your own. I'm so proud of you.

Well it's only practical :D Besides, he lives so far out of town that the only places to visit in here are the Uni and the grocerystore (I have to take a bus or walk for an hour to reach my fave bookshops), so there isn't much use for fancy clothing in here and besides I like BF's clothes =)

Great bunch of books you picked up there, Frankie! And 'From Dante to Dickens' does sound amazing! Nice work.

Does the BF let you wear his new Kyle Busch shirt? It's a snazzy one indeed.

Too bad the From Dante to Dickens is a Finnish book so you can't enjoy it but I'm sure there are loads of similar stuff in English, certainly more than there is in Finnish!

BF hasn't even shown me the Kyle Busch t-shirt yet, I think he's really paranoid about jinxing the Nascar race! The worst thing is, the race was on Saturday BUT it's still not on the Internet and he hasn't therefore seen it yet :lol: He's getting quite anxious!

Marcia, thank you so much for the note, it was so lovely of you and you made me blush! You're so awesome :lol:

Wow Frankie you really ARE a reading machine. Only one out of that lot I have read is Dracula.

Laundry Fairy has all the Dave Peltzer ones. I don't like books like that so haven't read them.

Vodkafan, I think I'm more of a book buying machine :lol: I wish I could read as quick as I buy!

Laundry Fairy seems to have a good taste! =)

Edited by frankie

I've already read Dracula but I loved it and I know I want to reread it in the future so I had to have it. I actually haven't read any Wodehouse novels other than the Jeeves stuff so I'm a bit nervous about Full Moon, but I don't mind taking 'risks' :D I got Vanity Fair because it's on the 1001 Books but also because you'd mentioned that GwtW reminded you of that novel and also because I really liked the blurb. I find I'm quite into the historical fiction genre at the moment :lol:

If you liked Jeeves and Wooster I'm sure you'll like Full Moon. I've found that all of Wodehouse's stories are similar in style and plot; just with different characters. :lol:

And I'm sure you'll like Vanity Fair as well. :D

57 books so far...:D

If you liked Jeeves and Wooster I'm sure you'll like Full Moon. I've found that all of Wodehouse's stories are similar in style and plot; just with different characters. :lol:

And I'm sure you'll like Vanity Fair as well.

57 books so far...:D

I'm thinking I'll be quite likely able to enjoy Jeevesless Wodehouse, too :D I really can't wait to start reading some of these books, I'm particularly keen on starting the Dave Pelzer books, but I still have GwtW! And I haven't had time to read it in two days, yesterday I read only about 20 pages before I dosed off :lol: Today I have the whole day ahead of me though.

57... And you know what Kylie... I ordered a couple of books from play.com during the weekend... mostly poetry, and everything was used, so it was really cheap, but still... I'm taking a break from book buying now!! I swear! :D

Edit: I'm gonna go and read Book Activity -thread to see if you've finished GwtW already! :lol: I wouldn't be surprised if you had.

57... And you know what Kylie... I ordered a couple of books from play.com during the weekend... mostly poetry, and everything was used, so it was really cheap, but still... I'm taking a break from book buying now!! I swear! :lol:

:D Sorry Frankie but I don't believe that for a second! Or by 'break' did you just mean for the next 10 minutes. :D

Edit: I'm gonna go and read Book Activity -thread to see if you've finished GwtW already! :D I wouldn't be surprised if you had.

:lol:

:D This time I'm for real, I'll be on the NOT-buying mode for at least this week and the next week (hopefully for the rest of this month). If I find books in the free book trolley in the library that's okay of course :D I have so many books I want to start reading asap plus I've also got some great books from the library... Stieg Larsson for instance!

OK then, I promise I'll support you during this difficult time. :D I could be your sponsor, and if you find yourself in a bookshop (or online) and tempted to buy a book, you can call me and I'll talk you into it out of it.

OK then, I promise I'll support you during this difficult time. :D I could be your sponsor, and if you find yourself in a bookshop (or online) and tempted to buy a book, you can call me and I'll talk you into it out of it.

:lol: a bit like AA? BA, bookaholics anonymous! Don't support me too much though, if I just happen to see a book I've wanted for years and that only costs me like 1 euro, then I must be able to buy it, right? :lol: I'm not gonna go looking, though! I wanna stay outta trouble :D

Oh dear. I forgot I wasn't supposed to buy books!!

I was in the local library today and I bought Peter Neville's Labrador. But it was only 1e, and the profit went to the library and it's non-fiction, so it doesn't really count does it? Besides, I never add non-fiction books to my TBR... So no increase on mount TBR and everybody wins, aye? :D

Phew, Kylie :roll: And thanks Paula :(

I'm really hoping to have a reading spree (if that makes any sense) this weekend and finish GwtW. Not that I'm bored with it, it's absolutely wonderful, but I do want to get into other books as well and I don't want to do that when I'm still reading GwtW.

After reading this one, 400 paged books will seem like short novels! That's what I love most about finishing a humongous novel :)