The Jane Austen Book Club

Inver

I attempted (!) to read this but have to say I found it very boring. Jumping between references to Jane Austen Books (of which I haven't read any) and the characters in the book club. It was very disjointed and couldn't hold my interest at all. I usually try and finish books but I thought life is too short to try and finish something I'm not enjoying!!

http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/4099508

Anyone else read (or tried to read) this book :)

I read & enjoyed it a while ago (review here, but I got the feeling I'd have appreciated it more if I'd actually read Austen's novels beforehand. I then resolved to read them all, but since reading Emma & really not enjoying it at all, I've pretty much abandoned the idea...

I wasn't over keen on the Jane Austen Book Club. I didn't really like any of the characters, so I wasn't remotely concerned what happened to them.

I think that is partly what the problem was, none of the characters caught my attention :?

Just started this one, I am finding that it is disjointed and rather fragmented. However I refuse to give up. I have read a couple of Jane Austen's books and I'm finding that this approach, does no justice to one of England's most celebrated writers.

I thought that the Jane Austen Book Club was very cleverly written - I loved the way that the different novels were discussed in the different hosts settings, with lots of interlapping. I can't remember too much about it, but it was over 2 years ago that I read it, so to remember that much means it must have had something going for it.

• 5 months later...
I think that is partly what the problem was, none of the characters caught my attention :?

I too had no interest in any of the characters - found it a dull read. I think it's important to care about the characters - it's probably one of the most important aspects of a good novel.

I read this last summer. I read it in a day, and enjoyed it, but in some ways it was a bit of a disappointment, as I expected more about JA's books and characters. But I liked the idea behind it, and I found the characters colourful enough to hold my interest.

Not one of my best reads but certainly not one of the worst.

Pp

• 2 weeks later...