Random Quotes: p123, para5, next 3 sentences

Kell

OK, I spotted this on a blog & thought it might be fun:

Grab the nearest book.

Open the book to page 123.

Find the fifth sentence.

Post the text of the next 3 sentences in a reply here, along with the title & author of the book

Don’t you dare dig for that "cool" or "intellectual" book in your closet! I know you were thinking about it! Just pick up whatever is closest.

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I no longer wanted to think about how strangely things had turned out. After I finished “Farewell, Black River,” and “The Drunken Concubine,” His Majesty wanted more. I begged his pardon and explained that I was not prepared.

~ Empress Orchid by Anchee Min (it’s in my bag, so it was the closest to hand – LOL)

He spoke excellant English, telling me that he once spent twelve months in Hong Kong, living with an English cabaret singer called, Dorothy d'Amour.

"She was Thirty seven, and I was eighteen. She taught me all the English I would ever need to know in one night."

Angels and Christians by MJ White

William Maitland of Lethington, dancing a dutiful branle with Mary Fleming, exerted himself to charm her out of her nervousness. Mysteriously, his efforts had quite the opposite effect. He could not understand why she seemed to find him so frightening

Fatal Majesty by Reay Tannahill

Ok, now from my current book - Blue Genes by Val McDermid

Bill I still was not talking to. and Gizmo doesn't do conversation. So I booted up the computed and settled down for a serious session with my football team. Not many people know this, but I'm the most successful manager in the history of the football league.

"... Nice hunks of sliced dead pig. Fried in its own grease. Dripping with fat..."

~ Cold Granite by Stuart McBride (this is the August choice for Posh Club which I've not read yet...)

"... But that's what the police are thinking. I heard my dad talking about it on the phone with one of the deputies. They don't think she got drunk and took an unplanned dive, they think she shot up and - " Adam pressed his palms together and made a diving motion.

~ Vampire Beach: Bloodlust by Alex Duval (which is turning out to be a very decent read, actually!)

He was still rubbing down the gelding, the last of the four, when the Romans returned. They were arguing and didn't see him in the shadows. He was about to show himself and reassure them their horses were uninjured, when Lucien said, "I tell you, our plan isn't going to work!..."

~ The Cleopatra Curse by Katherine Roberts (another good 'un from CBUK!)

She felt herself go hot at the exalted company and managed to mumble something respectful as the small man greeted her, thanked Chymes, retrieved his small sherry and departed to the other side of the room.

"Charming man, Hercule," said Chymes with a winning grin, adding as soon as the small foreigner was out of earshot, "but a tad overrated. All that 'little grey cells' stuff he goes on about..."

~ The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde (which Louise very kindly lent me)

"Yes, Percy, I know all about that. And about your plan to find the Fleece. What were those co-ordinates again... thirty, thirty-on, seventy-five, twelve?"

~ Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters by Rick Riorden

"He squeezed through the window, swam to shore and began weeping at his own foul luck. All his hurricane booty was lost, except for the packet of hash, which bobbed to the surfac eat the precise moment the first police car arrived.

"Yet the drugs weren't the most serious of Gil Peck's legal concerns."

Carl Hiaasen - Stormy Weather (not started reading it yet, it just happened to be sitting on top of the pile of books I unpacked from my suitcase and don't have shelf room for).

"On Saturday, I will slaughter them for the party.You and Lucy must come." He wipes his hands clean.

~ Disgrace by J M Coetze (My Olympic Challenge entry for South Africa, which arrived today)

He was very thin and could have been called handsome, except for the fact that his black eyes were full of cunning and his nose was as sharp as the blade of a knife.

• 2 weeks later...

Can you imagine Jake in a terrible state of angst trying desperately to make sense of this? Like all cats, he has a limited number of coping strategies so spraying urine in these new-found areas of conflict seems a good course of action. So he sprays and then gets walloped by his owners

Cat Detective - Vicky Halls

(I had wanted to remove the 'like all cats' bit - that would have been funny :) )

I don't know how long I lay there. It grew sreadily darker, but whether it was the day drawing on to dusk, or part of the strange, foreboding silence that overtook my home that afternoon, I could not say. I was lost in my misery. Above me the trees moved and sighed in the wind, and there were voices in it.

Daughtre of the Forest by Juliet Marillier

'That's rude,' said Lisa promptly. 'You shouldn't ask a lady that.'

'I think she's about twenty-five,' persisted Dale.

The Bad Mother's Handbook. Kate Long

Haven't read it. It just happens to be on the top of my TBR which is currently next to the computer.

Unless ...

The owner of Red Farm tried to ignore the wild way her heart was beating. She had asked them to light the lantern tonight as they did every night, so there would be a beacon, but she had given up hoping long, long ago.

The Beloved ~ Posie Graeme-Evans