Random Quotes: p123, para5, next 3 sentences

Kell

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Palming the soap, she peered out of the shattered window at the eighteen-wheeler idling below. The target was very big -an expansive, stationary tarp- and it was less than ten feet from the side of the building. As the traffic lights prepared to change, Sophie took a deep breath and lobbed the bar of soap out into the night.

Davinci Code by Dan Brown

Guest Eliza1

it was not in nature that these things should fail in latently engendering an element in him, which, under suitable circumstances, would break out from its confinement, and burn all his courage up. And brave as he might be, it was that sort of bravery chiefly, visible in some intrepid men, which, while generally abiding firm in the conflict with seas, or winds, or whales, or any of the ordinary irrational horrors of the world, yet cannot withstand those more terrific, because more spiritual terrors, which sometimes menace you from the concentrating brow of an enraged and mighty man.

Moby Dick - Herman Melville

Edited by Eliza1

The mobile's camera made a tiny noise, the sound of an old-fashioned camera shutter and film winder, as pointlessly nostalgic as the psuedo clockwork tick added to some electric watches. It was a tiny noise, far quieter than the purring of the cat, but apparently it reached the old man and enraged him. Or perhaps he had indeed been asleep with his eyes open and was always bad-tempered on waking.

Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale

The other students had their heads down, though they were shooting Claire looks that were sympathetic, scared, or angry. Nobody tried to stand up for her.

Claire put her pen down, looked Sanaj in the eyes, and said, 'Save my test. I'm coming back.'

Carpe Corpus by Rachel Caine

• 2 weeks later...

"But as the engine revved to a start, I looked over to that nondescript building. I caught a glimpse of a tall man who glanced around furtively before entering. Maybe it was a detective's intuition - or mere idle curiosity - but I kept watching as an array of gambling toughies cycled in and out of the building."

In the Shadow of Gotham by Stefanie Pintoff

• 2 weeks later...

"Jeff took a break, walked across the clearing, stared down the hill. Everyone stopped to watch him. They're gone, Stacy thought with a brief jump of hope, but then Jeff turned and came back toward them, not saying a thing."

The Ruins - Scott Smith

• 3 weeks later...

"Then there was curare. It, too, had an almost instant effect and again, the victim died within minutes by asphyxiation. But curare could not kill by ingestion; to be fatal - it had to be injected."

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley

• 6 months later...

He kept checking his weapons and systems each time the voice that called itself Major Q'naywa said something that made him feel bad or confused. "Okay, we're running out of time here and I sure as fudge am running out of patience." What also made him feel good was looking out through the big curved entrance to the place where he was.

- Surface Detail, Iain M. Banks

" "You!" Balthazar said. "She was after you."

"Lucas?" Kate stepped forward in alarm. "Why do they want my son?" "

- Hourglass by Claudia Gray

I haven't got to that bit yet of the book, but now just reading that bit makes me wanna read to find out whats going on.

Edited by Punkafoo

These are so interesting to read! Its amazing how you can see so much different style, setting, and character in just a few sentences.

"I was colder than ice. I have had no food. I have had no sleep."

Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake

She took her finger away. 'Give me your finger, Sunshine,'she said but Homer Wells, holding the photograph in both hands, decided to let his request pass. 'Come on' Melanie coaxed, 'I won't hurt you'.

John Irving

Cider House Rules

:huh:

Edited by Habeebi

"On Saturday, I will slaughter them for the party.You and Lucy must come." He wipes his hands clean.

~ Disgrace by J M Coetze (My Olympic Challenge entry for South Africa, which arrived today)

Love this book

"We had been on the road for less than an hour when I discovered an important fact about Afghanistan which none of my reading had discussed; yet it was so fundamental that if one missed its significance he missed the meaning of this country. I refer to the bridges of Afghanistan.

When we came to the first one I did not appreciate its importance; it was beautiful, built in the 1990's by some expert engineer."

Caravans, James AA Michener

• 1 month later...

Jane smiled and Melody saw her eyes fill up with tears. "Thank you," she said, "thank you."

They hugged across the table, Jane's sleeves hanging in the sugar bowl, Melody's face buried in her mother's soft shoulder and Melody felt safe for the first time since she was three years old.

- The Truth About Melody Browne by Lisa Jewell

• 3 weeks later...

Through the corner of his eye Wilhelm caught a glimpse of three or four British fighters roaring past; he also noticed a Stuka burst into flames and disappear out of view, going down. Still he concentrated on holding his position in the formation, ready to begin his dive at any moment. Then, suddenly, there was a loud crash from the Stuka's engine and the aircraft began to shudder.

Battle of Britain: The Hardest Day by Alfred Price

"The Eagle was wearing his only outfit, and I wondered whether he just had thirty identical white button-down shirts and thirty identical black ties in his closet. I pictured him waking up in the morning, staring at his closet and thinking, hmm... hmm... how about a white shirt and a black tie? Talk about a guy who could use a wife.

Looking For Alaska - John Green

• 3 weeks later...

"Right before we parade onto the stage, Haymitch comes up behind Peeta and me and growls, "Remember, you're still a happy pair. So act like it."

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

• 2 weeks later...

Hands pressed her shoulders down. When the spinning ceased, a young man such as she had never seen before knelt beside her.At least, he was young in appearance, though the weight of years could be felt through his mild manner.

Green Rider - Kristen Britain