What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 7

Janet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a signed copy of The Gates waiting for me on the shelf; the whole reason I bought it is that the blurb put me in mind of Gaiman/Pratchett's hilarious joint effort Good Omens. Funny thing is, when I went to the signing and asked John Connolly whether he'd read Good Omens and had been inspired by it, he said he'd never heard of it and proceeded to jot the title down; my inscription reads "with many thanks for the book recommendation"!

I am also ogleing a couple of pretty books on eBay... no, I shouldn't. Should I :)?

That's so cool!

Also, just off the top off your head (I know you're a fan of leatherbound and generally pretty books), do you know if Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles are available in a nice, hardback, pretty, possibly leatherbound version? I haven't gone looking around the internet yet but thought you might have seen them on your travels (if indeed they do exist) :D

I'm almost done with Living Dead In Dallas, so will be shortly starting Club Dead

I really enjoyed Living Dead in Dallas and Club Dead. How are you finding them?

As for myself, I've read a few more pages of Memnoch The Devil and so far so good. ;)

I'm already 160 pages into The Perks of Being a Wallflower and I'm enjoying it immensely. The protagonist does indeed remind me of myself in some ways, and also of my partner. I've recommended that he reads it and he sounds agreeable. :)

just off the top off your head (I know you're a fan of leatherbound and generally pretty books), do you know if Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles are available in a nice, hardback, pretty, possibly leatherbound version?
Oh, you mean this :)? Saving for it myself... isn't it the snazz?

Oh, you mean this :D? Saving for it myself... isn't it the snazz?

Ooooh ooooh ooooh ooooh! I think I'm in desperate need of it ;) It's so pretty! Thanks Giulia :)

Now to find a way of making it mine with little expense to me....................

(*off to form an evil plan.........*)

Ooooh ooooh ooooh ooooh! I think I'm in desperate need of it. It's so pretty! Thanks Giulia
Tee hee. You are welcome :) and, you can count on me for always knowing where the pretty books are ;)!

Re: the pretties I was coveting on ebay earlier, I have abstained: I have decided that I will save up and, when I can afford it, become a proper member of the Folio Society. The work those guys do is commendable and should be supported properly; unless we're talking actual out of print volumes I'd feel guilty as sin buying their stuff second hand.

Ps. do let me in on your evil plan when it's hatched, Nicola :D!

Tee hee. You are welcome :) and, you can count on me for always knowing where the pretty books are :D!

Re: the pretties I was coveting on ebay earlier, I have abstained: I have decided that I will save up and, when I can afford it, become a proper member of the Folio Society. The work those guys do is commendable and should be supported properly; unless we're talking actual out of print volumes I'd feel guilty as sin buying their stuff second hand.

You are definitely a pretty book connoisseur ;) Thanks again!

I just finished The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I thought it was excellent, and I've made notes of several passages that I particularly enjoyed.

Next up is Horace McCoy's They Shoot Horses, Don't They?

I finished The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman. I enjoyed it very much and

even had tears in my eyes at the end when Bod leaves the graveyard and he can't see his friends or family anymore

I started reading Fingersmith by Sarah Waters and I know I am going to love it :) I have only read one chapter so far but I keep finding excuses to read it :D

Still reading Mrs de Winter by Susan Hill. I wasn't sure at the beginning if I would enjoy it (especially as I have only just finished re-reading Rebecca) but as the book moves forward it is very good and I found that Susan Hill has really captured the character of the nameless second Mrs de Winter very well - she still shows the meek and mild (doormat?) temperament of the original. And Maxim is still so tyrannical.

Good stuff!

When I was at the cinema yesterday I saw the trailer for The Lovely Bones, and though I've been told the movie is completely different, I was intrigued enough that I plan on buying the book today or tomorrow.

Still reading Eclipse - I keep getting distracted by things, so I'm only reading little pieces at a time. I reckon I'm probably actually going to go straight back to the start of the saga as soon as I'm finished it - and probably take notes - there's so much to take in over the four books and I pretty much suck at remembering the sequence of events in ANY book, let along a four-piece saga. :)

I had a quick look at my books and I think I have read 61 this year. I will have to have a proper sort through of them to read. I also found that I have a LOT more books to read than what I have read. I plan on making a thread on here next year so I can keep track :)