What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 7

Janet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to my most favorite secondhand bookshop today, the shop's just recently moved and this was my first time in the new location. It was great! :D The English lit section is perhaps a bit smaller than before but it's more organised and easier to browse through.

I got me these:

- Sue Townsend: The Public Confessions of a Middle-Aged Woman (Aged 55

Me and my sister somehow managed to go to Forbidden Planet, Foyle's, Borders, Blackwell's and WH Smith and emerge utterly bookless *shock, gasp and horror* our wishlist has expanded considerably, however.

[quote name='frankie;326875)

- C. J. Sansom: Dissolution (I haven't heard of Sansom before' date=' has anyone read his/her books? It seemed really interesting, it's historical fiction, and the paperback version I bought is beautiful![/quote']

I've read all of Sansoms' books frankie, and have really enjoyed them.

Set in historical Tudor England, they follow Mathew Shardlake, a London lawyer/investigator and Dissolution is the first of four novels. (The fifth due out some-time next year.)They are unusual as Shardlake finds himself often dragged into the upheval/politics of the time, giving you a good historical insight into the era. (Particularly the religious changes happening in medieval England.)

The running order of the novels is : Dissolution, Dark Fire, Sovereign and revelation.

Enjoy!!

P.S. The Author is a 'he'.

Edited by northernnutter

Thanks northernnutter! I searched the forum for C. J. Sansom and found out that quite a few people on here have read his books and enjoyed them immensely, so I was glad that I took a chance and bought the first book in his series :lol: Now I kinda hope I'd bought the second novel as well, the books were really pretty and in good condition and I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy them.

Thanks northernnutter! I searched the forum for C. J. Sansom and found out that quite a few people on here have read his books and enjoyed them immensely, so I was glad that I took a chance and bought the first book in his series :lol: Now I kinda hope I'd bought the second novel as well, the books were really pretty and in good condition and I'm pretty sure I'm going to enjoy them.

C J Sansom is one of the best authors around and will always buy his books on day of publication. You will so enjoy them - they're fantastic

I got Marked out from my local library and will be reading it over the Christmas period so it will be interesting to see what you think.

I'll let you know what I think about it, i'm going slow in reading at the moment, been tired a lot but am almost 1/3rd far now and up to now I'm liking it, but anxious to read further

C J Sansom is one of the best authors around and will always buy his books on day of publication. You will so enjoy them - they're fantastic

Good to hear Angel! :lol: I'm getting more and more confident that I made a great purchase yesterday.

finished Jack Kerley's 'Hundredth Man'. Great read.

I am currently cursing CatWoman for recommending it ~ I'm too poor and he has 6 other books out there that I now MUST read! :lol:

Edited by Chrissy

I buy in that shop a lot because it's for a good cause, books are never more than €3.50, and as low as €1 if in poor condition - I usually only buy reading copies or books I'm indifferent to, but this particular book is pristine. It looks unread, and it still had it's Eason's "€12.99" price tag on it above the €2.50 tag. So I'm saving a tenner for absolutely nothing really. And it's stunning. Hang on, I'll show you :lol:

http://www.crimetime.co.uk/images/large/9781846550843.jpg